New battery

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BoulderBud

New battery

Post by BoulderBud »

Does anyone know of a good battery for a good price on Amazon for my Buddy 125?
Thank you so much!!
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

Whatever you do, don't buy those cheap Chrome Batteries. I haven't had one last me more than a year. Needless to say, I buy better quality batteries now.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have had good results with the Power-Sonic brand of AGM battery. The equivalent to the original Yuasa battery is the PTX7A-BS. I personally use the PTZ10-S, however, as it is higher capacity and will fit in the OEM battery box.

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Sonic-PTX7 ... B00I1KMKKE

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Sonic-PTZ1 ... B00I1KMO5K
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I bought this one for $15.99 + $4.99 S&H about a year and a half ago. It's held up fine so far. Considering the cheap price, I'm pleasantly surprised.

https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Morp ... maha+FJ-09
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

K1dude: when you buy off amazon they ask the year of the scooter and brand name to check if the part will fit. Genuine is never on the list. Do you check another brand? How do you know that battery will fit the Buddy 125?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ucandoit wrote:K1dude: when you buy off amazon they ask the year of the scooter and brand name to check if the part will fit. Genuine is never on the list. Do you check another brand? How do you know that battery will fit the Buddy 125?
I use one in a Buddy 125. It fits.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I run a bigger battery than stock. I got it to fit by just grinding off some of the plastic "waffling" under the battery cover.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Batteries are generally not made for any specific motorcycle or scooter. Each battery is made to a specific class size and so motorcycle and scooter manufacturers specify a certain class size for a particular bike model. When you look at the part number for the Buddy's stock battery, you'll notice the same part number or a variation of it on batteries from multiple battery manufacturers/distributors. Each class size will determine the physical dimensions and AH rating of the battery. By measuring the size of your battery compartment and doing a little research, you can usually find a battery with a greater AH rating that will fit within your battery compartment.

Note that there are only a handful of AGM battery manufacturers in the world (I heard there are 3) and most of the batteries sold are from one of these manufacturers regardless of the brand name on the battery.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

I've quit buying any moto batteries thru mail order.

If you get one that is bad, or goes bad in the warranty period, the return shipping is a real bite.

I usually use BatteriesPlus or similar that has a local outlet so not have to ship back if necessary and pay costs to do that.

Just my experience.

fried okra
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

fried okra wrote:I've quit buying any moto batteries thru mail order.

If you get one that is bad, or goes bad in the warranty period, the return shipping is a real bite.

I usually use BatteriesPlus or similar that has a local outlet so not have to ship back if necessary and pay costs to do that.

Just my experience.

fried okra
While your point is valid, some vendors are pretty good at dealing with batteries damaged during shipment or handling warranty work. As an example, I bought three batteries (at the same time) from a vendor on Amazon and when they arrived two were damaged during shipment. I contacted the vendor asking what could be done about the situation and he responded by sending me three new batteries without me having to ship the bad ones back to him. So in the end I got four batteries for the price of three. I'm happy.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Babblefish: thanks for explaining about the classes of batteries. Does a battery with a longer Amp Hour therefore last longer?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

ucandoit wrote:Babblefish: thanks for explaining about the classes of batteries. Does a battery with a longer Amp Hour therefore last longer?
If by "last longer" you mean the useful life of the battery, then maybe.
Let me explain. If you were to put a battery with a higher AH rating in a Buddy and said Buddy was in good running order then yes, you could potentially see a longer lifespan from that battery. The reason being the higher AH battery will be less stressed during it's useful life. This is assuming normal environmental conditions and riding habits.
But the more important benefit of an increased AH battery is easier and faster starting of the engine because the battery voltage won't sag as much when the starter motor is engaged so it'll spin faster due to the higher available voltage.
An increased AH rating will also be more forgiving in cold climates because again, the battery can maintain a greater starting current/voltage.
Another benefit is if your scooter has any high drain electrical accessories installed such as higher wattage headlight, sound system, etc. Since the Buddy's charging system is pretty marginal at best, a higher AH battery will last longer before it's charge is depleted.
Of course, if one were to heavily drain the battery then the Buddy's charging system will take longer to recharge the battery, i.e., you have to ride longer to fully charge the battery. A battery tender at home will take care of that in case a long ride is not in your stars.