new Michelin S-1 for rear tire replacement

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmrcstintn

new Michelin S-1 for rear tire replacement

Post by kmrcstintn »

bought a Michelin S-1 last autumn to replace OEM Cheng Shin on my '13 Buddy 125...had it mounted @ 3 weeks ago; I have @ 180 miles on it which definitely wore off the slick coating & I am gaining more confidence to ride faster & lean more into the turns; it is 'taller' than the OEM tire and has less room under the rear fender...no rubbing just fits closer; I got 5698.7 miles out of the original Cheng Shin & hoping to get at least 6k out of the Michelin; the OEM front tire has plenty of tread left & rubber is still soft...
Last edited by kmrcstintn on Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

There is a good chance the S-1 won't last as long as the stock tire, the stock tires are some of the longest lasting tires out there, I got 9,000 miles out of my rear. The problem with the stock tires is that they are "twitchy" feeling. The S-1 will be a much nicer ride. I get about 4,500-5,000 miles out of an S1. As for the front tire I would recommend changing it when you get the next new rear tire even if it looks good.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I found the stock tires to be made with poorer quality rubber compounds which provide less traction on corners and in the rain. We now use Continental Zippys on our Buddy. Unless you put a lot of miles on your Buddy, the tires will reach the end of their useful life due to the rubber hardening before the tread wears out. IMO any scooter tire should be changed out after 5-6 years max.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

thanks for feedback on S-1 longetivity & Continental Zippy performance; as for the oem front tire...this scoot sat inside the showroom from 2013 until February 2017 & not exposed to the weather & seasonal temperature changes; the shop owner/tech confirmed the rubber is still soft; the oem rear tire was also soft...just honest wear & tear (not enough centerline tread to pass inspection this year)
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The OEM Cheng Shin tires are sometimes called "rim protectors", as in, they protect the rim from coming in contact with the road. Although they may last a long time, they are not your safest option. They have less traction than new tires, even of the same brand.
Treat yourself to a new set of good quality tires. The price is small insurance for the safest detail between you and the road.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.