First Time Buyer!!! Help!!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do you recommend a Vespa or Genuine Buddy to a first time scooter owner?

Vespa
6%
Genuine Buddy
94%

Total votes: 17

kmason182

First Time Buyer!!! Help!!

Post by kmason182 »

Hey everyone! Not sure if I’m posting this in the right area, but I am looking for some advice. I am currently in Texas, moving to Seattle within the next couple months. I want to sell my car before I go and get around on a scooter. I believe it will be significantly easier for me. I have NEVER owned a scooter, I haven’t even ridden one before. I asked a few friends of mine who are telling me to get a Vespa and nothing else. I became interested in a Genuine Buddy (Stella as well). I have one that is 2009 genuine buddy 125cc that someone offered to sell me for $650. It has 3,500 miles on it. No damage, clean title, it seems like a good deal to me! But my friends have me convinced that it’s a terrible brand and it will be the biggest mistake of my life. I asked someone in my area who does repairs on scooters and he said genuine buddy only lasts about 3,000 miles. I’m not expecting to put more than 100 miles a week on this thing, if even that much. But I don’t want to buy this if that’s the case since it already has 3,500 miles on it. I was expecting to last 20-30k miles. How necessary is a Vespa?? And do you believe it is worth the major price gap?? Are Genuine Buddy’s expensive to repair if anything happens? I don’t even think I’ll be taking this on highways. Thanks for all of your advice!!
tenders

Post by tenders »

Your expert friends are confusing cheap Chinese scooters with well-made Taiwanese scooters. Vespas are charming, well-made machines that command a 30% premium for their look. If that’s worth it to you, go for the Vespa. If you’d like to get more acquainted with scootering before making a larger investment, you’re looking at what seems to be a fantastic deal on the Buddy. Expect to replace the tires, oil, transmission oil, and brake fluid - all routine maintenance that is often overlooked by previous owners who aren’t using their scooters.

(I have both a Vespa S 150 and a Buddy 50.)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Your friends, gently said, are idiots. The first person we knew of that put 40,000 miles on her Buddy was given a new model by Genuine. Her Buddy was put on display in the home office.

Since then we have seen 40,000 mile (and more) Buddys many times. If you can get the one by you, know you own a quality product. Ship your stuff and ride to Seattle!
The majority is always sane - Nessus
kmason182

Post by kmason182 »

You have both already made me feel significantly more confident in my purchase! I am on my way to pick it up right now. I will post pictures once I get it. :)
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I've had my 2007 Buddy 125 since new, 12,000 miles, zero problems. Also have 2007 Vespa 250GTS with 16,000 miles and zero problems. They are both great but the Buddy is a much better starter scooter and a lot easier to ride.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Buddy's are great scooters and the 125 is the one to go for. Also makes a great starter scooter. I owned 2 Buddy's (both 125's) and now own a Piaggio Liberty 150S. Still love the Genuine brand and recommend them to anyone who ask. Buy. ride and enjoy. Do take a MSF class and buy some decent gear. Oh, and my first Buddy has around 40,000 miles and still runs strong and the other had around 12,000 trouble free miles on it. The Liberty just fits 2 average sized adults better than the Buddy and we wanted a big wheel scooter next.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

My 2009 Buddy 125 only made it 44,611.6 miles before the engine failed.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

Genuine Buddy's are extremely durable and reliable. Your friends don't know what they're talking about. Buddy's are also very easy and inexpensive to work on.

Some of the best scooters in the world are made in Taiwan. Some of the worse scooters in the world are made in China.

If you've never owned a scooter/motorcycle before, take the MSF class. Also, be very careful riding in the rain. It takes a little extra caution and experience to ride in the rain, and Seattle has plenty of rain.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I own both, so I would certainly not try to talk you out of buying a Vespa :wink: . The Buddy, though, is a fine scooter, and quite reliable. I think it is an excellent first scooter. If you are a smaller rider, the Buddy is an especially good choice for its ergonomics. For its price, new or used, the Buddy is a good value. You mention the Stella, also. I would not recommend the Stella to a beginning rider for several reasons. That is a better scooter for someone with significant mechanical skills and a serious desire for retro appearance.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

My only reservation about the used Buddy 125 is that is priced unusually low. Maybe i am just being a pessimist.
-You don't have to buy a Vespa to have a reliable scoot. Japanese and Taiwanese scoots are well made.
-My son lives lives in Tacoma and loves it. Alas, it is just a one year assignment and he will be leaving in 2020.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Syd

Post by Syd »

Make sure the Buddy is running well before buying or you could be in for some $ or work to get it sorted.

Get your Motorcycle endorsement before you go, it's probably easier where you are than where you're going.

Get some security for the Buddy. If you have your own garage that's great, but all your trips won't be round trips. Good chain, good lock will be your friend.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

kmason182 wrote:You have both already made me feel significantly more confident in my purchase! I am on my way to pick it up right now. I will post pictures once I get it. :)
Assuming you bought it, you made the right choice. If you need mechanical help, the only Genuine dealer left in greater Seattle is Seattle Scooter Center on Aurora Ave. Their service dept. is first-class and they work on all brands. Fritz Scooter Repair, in the heart of the U district, is another good, honest and reliable repair source. Welcome to Seattle and this forum but please, don't tell me you work for Amazon. Just kidding. :wink:

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
laine

Post by laine »

I'm new to this forum, so may not have any cred with my post count, but I have owned two Vespas in the past:

2005 LX150 - that I bought new in 2005
1980 Primavera 125

And after that, I owned a couple of motorcycles. I haven't owned any two-wheeled vehicles since I sold my last moto in 2013. And I joined this site because I am looking to buy a used Buddy. I'm going to see one after work today.

Vespa are great, but heavier - which can make a difference for a noob. And they command a larger cost due to name, branding, lineage, design.

The Buddy is reliable, easier to ride (I'm only 5'1"), and cheaper to buy - which is why I'm looking at a Buddy this time around.

Hope that helps!
Point37

Post by Point37 »

i think a buddy is a good choice...or any scooter made by honda or yamaha as well...a vespa is a great ride also but more expensive...below are the brands i was considering when i was shopping for a scooter...as was said take the MSF class and get your motorcycle license and learn some riding techniques...i'd also say i would wait to see if you want to ride a scooter everywhere once you move to seattle vs a car...lots of bad weather and bad/distracted drivers everywhere now...i'd also say look and see what scooter shops are in the are you move to in seattle and what brands they carry for ease of access for parts and service unless you plan to do all your work yourself and have a sheltered area to do said work...good luck

genuine
honda
yamaha
piaggio/vespa/aprilia
suzuki
sym/lance
kymco

here is the thread i started before i bought my buddy
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

reviews
http://www.justgottascoot.com/reviews.htm

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

[quote="Point37"]...i'd also say i would wait to see if you want to ride a scooter everywhere once you move to seattle vs a car...lots of bad weather and bad/distracted drivers everywhere now..

Sez you who lives 3,000 miles away. Our weather is no worse and year-around a lot better than what you east-coasters have to put up with. I'll take the left coast over the right coast any day. :wink:

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I think the OP disappeared and no longer checks-in.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Looks like we ran off another one, LOL.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I've got 20k milles on my buddy, and I have abused it.

With regular maintenance, they will live a long time.

if you've never ridden before, go get all the gear and take a motorcycle class.

Glad to see you started with used. I've tried to convince many friends of it, and they all bought new, but either didn't catch the full time riding bug, or didn't take a class and had a minor accident.

Few of them still ride :(.

The buddy is easy to do simple stuff on, and fairly cheap to maintain.

My vespa is an overall much more 'premium' feeling vehicle, but there's not a cheap part to be had :P.

The buddy is also fairly forgiving if you have a minor drop. A scratch on a vespa and the insurance company wants to total it, since the bodies are metal.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

skipper20 wrote:
Point37 wrote:...i'd also say i would wait to see if you want to ride a scooter everywhere once you move to seattle vs a car...lots of bad weather and bad/distracted drivers everywhere now..

Sez you who lives 3,000 miles away. Our weather is no worse and year-around a lot better than what you east-coasters have to put up with. I'll take the left coast over the right coast any day. :wink:

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
i'd have to agree...but that's why we're tougher :wink:
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)