Helmet Recommendations?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddys_n_blasters

Helmet Recommendations?

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

I'm looking for a light, easy, but still DOT-approved helmet for myself and my girlfriend. I can't seem to find anything that quite fits the bill. It's all a little too cumbersome or hardcore looking. Any suggestions on where to find something?

To give an idea of what I'm looking for, here is a bicycle helmet that I like the look of. Unfortunately it's not legal for scooters.

https://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Adult-A ... r=8-3&th=1
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

If you are accustomed to wearing a bicycle or skate helmet, a DOT legal helmet is going to feel huge and heavy for a while.
-My wife went through a half helmet and some others before she found a DOT one that didn't feel like an astronaut helmet.
-There are so many distracted cagers on the road that you really need that DOT helmet.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
johnk

Post by johnk »

In terms of shape, the Speed and Strength SS410 and the Bell Pit Boss look pretty close to what you're looking for. If you shop around for "half helmets," you might find some more in that style.

The Bell Custom 500 is also not too hardcore looking, in my opinion.
johnk

Post by johnk »

And, if you prefer white, there's the Bell Pit Boss again, or the Scorpion EXO-C110.
buddys_n_blasters

These look pretty good, especially the white ones. A bit expensive, but I guess it's not the kind of thing to skimp on.

Is it mostly just black or white? I could swear I've seen other colors around. I think the gf wants red.
johnk

Post by johnk »

There are some red options at RevZilla, and you can also choose other colors in the left-hand column there.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

If I bought a new helmet I would buy a neon yellow and maybe a full face. Every bit of visibility helps.
buddys_n_blasters

Ah these are great. Many thanks!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

A good helmet is going to feel cumbersome and tight.

Give it time; before you know it, riding without it will be uncomfortable.

Check out these reviews:
https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle ... iews/#type
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

We got a couple of these LS2 Rebellion helmets. I like the flip down visor since I don’t have to take my sun glasses when I am running errands.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/ls2 ... ion-helmet
personality

Post by personality »

I recommend that you go to a local motorcycle accessory type store if there is one near you. Cycle Gear is kind of a cheesy place, but they have a ton of locations in the US, and you can try on a bunch of different helmets at once and receive some professional help. They also have a wide selection of helmets for under $100.