Where is the low and high speed adjust screws on Buddy 125?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gumby77

Where is the low and high speed adjust screws on Buddy 125?

Post by gumby77 »

I have done searches and found a little information, but nothing that says or has a picture that shows where the low and high screws are. I was trying to adjust what I thought was the idle mixture screw and it didn't have much affect on idle speed. (I am talking the mixture adjustment not the speed adjust screw.) I am afraid I might have turned the main adjustment but I am not sure.

Is there any way someone can post pics and method of access for the two screws.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

There is only the main air fuel adjuster and the idle adjust screw. If you can't find the you shouldn't mess with them honestly. The idle adjust is on the top of the throttle assembly on the carb
gumby77

Post by gumby77 »

I stated I was not looking for the idle speed adjust and I am looking for the mixture. I don't agree with you that I shouldn't mess with it just because I am having trouble identifying which is the H or L. Most carbs label them so there is no confusion. I did anticipate your comment but I didn't think it would be the first comment. :roll:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gumby77 wrote:I stated I was not looking for the idle speed adjust and I am looking for the mixture. I don't agree with you that I shouldn't mess with it just because I am having trouble identifying which is the H or L. Most carbs label them so there is no confusion. I did anticipate your comment but I didn't think it would be the first comment. :roll:
There are no 'high' or 'low' adjusters. There is only an idle mixture screw. Its on the left side of the bike low on the carburetor. Depending on the year of your bike, you may need a special tool to adjust it.
gumby77

Post by gumby77 »

Ahh well that is why I was confused. Thanks.
gumby77

Post by gumby77 »

ScooterTrash wrote:There is only the main air fuel adjuster and the idle adjust screw. If you can't find the you shouldn't mess with them honestly. The idle adjust is on the top of the throttle assembly on the carb
Sorry for the attitude earlier ScooterTrash, I was just frustrated by the lack of good exploded diagrams for the Buddy 125 carb. Didn't mean to take it out on you, I know you were just trying to keep me from potentially doing harm to the scoot.

Hope you can forgive me. I have had a beer now and am happy.
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

gumby77 wrote:
ScooterTrash wrote:There is only the main air fuel adjuster and the idle adjust screw. If you can't find the you shouldn't mess with them honestly. The idle adjust is on the top of the throttle assembly on the carb
Sorry for the attitude earlier ScooterTrash, I was just frustrated by the lack of good exploded diagrams for the Buddy 125 carb. Didn't mean to take it out on you, I know you were just trying to keep me from potentially doing harm to the scoot.

Hope you can forgive me. I have had a beer now and am happy.
haha, I was posting from my mobile so I didn't read it too well. There have been a lot of people around here who shouldn't be messing with the tuning so its a reaction. I'm a scoot mechanic so I see a lot of botched attempts at "fixing" idle problems.

Kaos is a bit more patient than I :lol:

Also when adjusting I hardly noticed a variance in idle other than running or bogged out completely. Could be my elevation though. best way to tell is how it reacts on decell after blipping the throttle
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Have you downloaded the Service Manual? See pages 77-78. There's a vertical diagram showing the placement of what you're looking for.
PDF: http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125_service_manual.pdf

This is the idle, not air/fuel mix screw.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Bcon

Post by Bcon »

<<Also when adjusting I hardly noticed a variance in idle other than running or bogged out completely. Could be my elevation though. best way to tell is how it reacts on decell after blipping the throttle>>

I don't think it's your elevation, I have the same experience at 700ft. I've found that this carb takes more to get the idle mixture right than the normal method of adjusting until the idle drops/stalls to define the lean and rich limits.
2004 Stella
BMW F800ST
ScooterTrash

Post by ScooterTrash »

Good to know it's not just me :lol:
125cclemon

Post by 125cclemon »

ericalm wrote:Have you downloaded the Service Manual? See pages 77-78. There's a vertical diagram showing the placement of what you're looking for.
PDF: http://modernbuddy.com/pdf/buddy125_service_manual.pdf

This is the idle, not air/fuel mix screw.
So where is the air/fuel screw in this pic?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The idle mixture screw is right below that metal bump thing that the red arrow is pointing to. Not underneath that bump, but between it and the engine. Also, on this carb the screw adjusts the amount of fuel, not air so turning it clockwise leans the mixture. The head of the adjustment screw is a slot so you can use a regular slotted screwdriver.
Attachments
buddy_idleadjust_104_20150829132914555.jpg
buddy_idleadjust_104_20150829132914555.jpg (99.36 KiB) Viewed 1697 times
Last edited by babblefish on Wed May 29, 2019 5:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Maybe this will make the location more clear.
Attachments
20150829_155421.jpg
20150829_155421.jpg (164.11 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

babblefish wrote:The idle mixture screw is right below that metal bump thing that the red arrow is pointing to. Not underneath that bump, but between it and the engine. Also, on this carb the screw adjusts the amount of fuel, not air so turning it clockwise leans the mixture. The head of the adjustment screw is a slot so you can use a regular slotted screwdriver.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

PNWbuddy wrote:
babblefish wrote:The idle mixture screw is right below that metal bump thing that the red arrow is pointing to. Not underneath that bump, but between it and the engine. Also, on this carb the screw adjusts the amount of fuel, not air so turning it clockwise leans the mixture. The head of the adjustment screw is a slot so you can use a regular slotted screwdriver.
I found this which might be helpful:

http://www.chuckuslife.com/adjusting-airfuel-mixture/