Can I leave my Buddy in the weather?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddys_n_blasters

Can I leave my Buddy in the weather?

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

I'm out of storage space where I can keep it dry but I'm going to need it most of the summer. Can I just leave it in the rain?
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

Depending on where you are located and will be leaving it, theft might be more of an issue than the rain.

Do you have a cable and lock to secure it?

fried okra
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I left my old 07 Buddy 125 in the weather year round. The only time I covered it was when it was going to snow. Then, I used a cheap Ollies motorcycle cover. The seat seams prematurely started to split and the switch gear got all faded and crappy looking but it never gave me an mechanical or electrical issue from living outside. I did chain it up with a U-lock thru the front wheel to a ground anchor for security. Only downside was some kids forced my seat open hoping to find goodies. All they found was a dirty FroggToggs and a extra set of grubby winter gloves. Kids are stupid.
GearsAndSuch

Post by GearsAndSuch »

My 07 spent it's early years outside in the Oklahoma weather. It's fine. However, I highly recommend getting a cover to keep the sun and rain and dust from matriculating inside. Mine's pretty nasty under the body panels.
johnk

Post by johnk »

If you cover it, I would recommend going with something water-resistant but breathable, like the Nelson Rigg Deluxe All Season. "Waterproof" covers can trap a lot of moisture inside. The Nelson Rigg is essentially an umbrella—it keeps rain from falling on the scooter, but the wind will blow right through it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If you simply leave it in the weather - expect the panels to fade (especially the flexible mats), expect the seat cover to fail, expect some issues with electrical switches, expect some rust on steel parts, and expect the speedo dial to fade and possibly to accumulate moisture. Why wouldn't you just cover it?
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

GearsAndSuch wrote:My 07 spent it's early years outside in the Oklahoma weather. It's fine. However, I highly recommend getting a cover to keep the sun and rain and dust from matriculating inside. Mine's pretty nasty under the body panels.
Your Buddy has a builtin college? :D

UV light will probably be more of a problem, but neither rain or shine will have a dramatic and quick effect.
buddys_n_blasters

Post by buddys_n_blasters »

johnk wrote:If you cover it, I would recommend going with something water-resistant but breathable, like the Nelson Rigg Deluxe All Season. "Waterproof" covers can trap a lot of moisture inside. The Nelson Rigg is essentially an umbrella—it keeps rain from falling on the scooter, but the wind will blow right through it.
Bought. Thanks everyone.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Its understandable that you will not always have place to keep the scoot dry. Get a breathable cover like johnk said. The covers usually have some straps or at east grommets allowing you to tie the cover to the scoot so it will stay on during windy days. Cover the scoot when the weather is nice too, because the sun is rough on paint and all the soft components.
-make sure you ride it after the rain stops, or at least towel off the scoot.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Trixyshrimp101

Post by Trixyshrimp101 »

no Unless you buy a tarp. Get a tarp and you fine.
OBX Dan

Post by OBX Dan »

Judy over on ModernVespa(rest in peace dear girl) used to keep her Vespa in a small Rubbermaid shed. She lived in Hawaii so she got constant rain so this helped keep her scoot in good shape. They cost a few hundred bucks but if you have a newish scooter it will keep your investment in better shape and help against theft.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

OBX Dan wrote:Judy over on ModernVespa(rest in peace dear girl) used to keep her Vespa in a small Rubbermaid shed. She lived in Hawaii so she got constant rain so this helped keep her scoot in good shape. They cost a few hundred bucks but if you have a newish scooter it will keep your investment in better shape and help against theft.
Judy passed away? On no... So sorry to hear... :cry: