Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm back in business!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
skipper20

170i

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: I'm back in business! Reply with quote

At 85 y.o. I thought my scootering days were over. I had owned and enjoyed over the years (but not at the same time) a Buddy 125, Blackjack 150, 2 Buddy 170is, Hooligan 170i and sandwiched in-between, a Roughhouse 50 Sport. Sold the last one a year ago and retired to the sidelines with the moniker "Member Emeritus".
I missed scootering badly. So, after a lot of soul searching and online research, I jumped back in and bought myself a 1984 Honda Gyro NN50 scooter. See http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/Gyro/Gyro.html for a picture and details. I have the red version. Sadly, not a Genuine product but it's what I needed - 3 wheels and a body that leans in the turns. Genuine never made anything like it. Piaggio did with 2 wheels up front but way too big for me. Most importantly, is the Gyro's 50cc engine and top speed of 30 mph which keeps me confined to the streets and back roads of my part of town. I have a route on a back road to my local coffee shop and supermarket away from the busy streets and speeding cars and trucks.
It's nice to be back.

Bill in Seattle
1984 Honda Gyro NN50 Smile
ucandoit

2008 buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The little back roads to our favorite places are fun and relaxing and enjoyable. Your situation is a good reminder that there are many levels of scootering. Welcome back. Who wants to take a car when a fun scooter is available.
Dooglas

Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you are back in the saddle. Have fun.
tenders

Buddy International 50 Italia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is a cool, niche machine! Where did you find it, how long did it take, and how is parts availability?
Syd

'09 GTS250

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gyro and the Urban Express are the scooters I'd want - if my legs were a foot shorter!
vintagegarage

2006 Buddy 125, 2003 MyBuBu 125, 2009 Buddy 50, St. Tropez, 2009 Buddy 150, International Italia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
You made a good choice.. Here is a photos of my Gyros.. the blue one needs an original front basket to be complete. The red one with no basket runs fine, but is my parts scooter.. please let me know if you need any parts for yours..
wheelbender6

Genuine Buddy 125

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I am still scooting when I'm 85, skipper20. Keep on truckin!
skully93

currently 09 Buddy Italia, Honda CTX700DCT

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! have fun!

170i

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenders wrote:
Wow, that is a cool, niche machine! Where did you find it, how long did it take, and how is parts availability?

I found it on Seattle Craig's List. The price was on the high side but it had been on CL for a month or more so the seller was in a mood to sell. We reached a mutually agreeable price which included delivery to my house about 35 miles south of his. I didn't have the ability to transport a 3 wheeler. I am now converting my utility trailer to do so. The scooter is in very nice, above average condition, both mechanically and cosmetically. Starts on the first push of the start button (no kick start), warms up fast and runs near perfect. It's a pleasure to ride. I especially like the parking brake feature. When I go to park and I'm completely stopped and upright, I move a large lever on the steering column down to the "Park" position. This locks the scooter fully upright so there's no center stand or side stand to contend with. Just hop off like Bob's your uncle. So far I haven't needed any parts and yes, some of them are hard to come by but there is some commonality with the Honda Spree and other Honda 50cc 2T scooters of the 80s. It has the original tires and at 35 years of age, they're badly weather cracked. I have replacements ordered. Like I said, it's a pleasure to ride and for my age, most likely the perfect motor scooter. I'm happy that I was able to find it.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda NN50 Gyro, red
fried okra

Scarabeo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Skipper......keep us posted.

fried okra
scootergrind

2011 SS Blur 220i

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipper, you rock! You're perseverance is a true inspiration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: