Engine hesitates at max speeds

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

soup

Engine hesitates at max speeds

Post by soup »

I was on the highway today with my Buddy 125 (upgraded to 162cc) and got up to 67 mph. I noticed the engine hesitate at that speed. It did that another time when I was on the highway going 65 mph. Could that harm the engine when it maxes out like that? Or is it nothing to worry about and just the Buddy refusing to go faster? There's no tachometer, but I'm wondering if the hesitation means I have the RPM's in the red, so to speak. Don't want to harm the engine.

In any case, I rode about 90 miles today and took the Buddy on a ferry for the first time. Quite fun!!
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Are you ‘hitting’ the rev-limiter?
I’m not too sure how to explain what that ‘feels’ like as I am a self proclaimed mechanical moron and in ten years and nearly 30,000 miles on my Buddy 150 and regularly taking it to speed like that I don’t *think* I ever have....

Others here could explain better.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
soup

Post by soup »

KABarash wrote:Are you ‘hitting’ the rev-limiter?
I’m not too sure how to explain what that ‘feels’ like as I am a self proclaimed mechanical moron and in ten years and nearly 30,000 miles on my Buddy 150 and regularly taking it to speed like that I don’t *think* I ever have....

I just googled rev-limiter and learned something, thanks! That sounds like a reasonable explanation.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

soup wrote:
KABarash wrote:Are you ‘hitting’ the rev-limiter?

I just googled rev-limiter and learned something, thanks! That sounds like a reasonable explanation.

Hint hint......

https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Perfor ... -P489.aspx

Nudge nudge.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Stanza wrote: Hint hint......

https://www.scooterworks.com/NCY-Perfor ... -P489.aspx

Nudge nudge.
Wink, wink, I know what you mean.