Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
coolrays
Member


Joined: 15 Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Location: OKL∆HOM∆
'17 Buddy Eclipse 125cc

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 2:59 am    Post subject: Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse Reply with quote

Found this one on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Scooter-Windscreen-Short-Genuine-Buddy/dp/B003JO862S/ref=asc_df_B003JO862S/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309804735743&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11233543384348707879&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9026171&hvtargid=pla-568563730786&psc=1


But... there are a few things I don’t love about it.

1. I would like for it to be tinted or match the aesthetic of my Eclipse.

2. I’m afraid the attachments may not work since my Eclipse has different side view mirrors than the one pictured on the Amazon listing. I’d like to find one with dark metal or plastic instead of chrome. I think it’ll just look better with my blacked out ride!

3. This is minor, and I could be swayed, but it just seems a bit... tall!

So I come to ask fellow forum friends on their experiences with deciding on, buying, and inevitably installing their own windshields. Any advice and / or constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

[i[/i]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
JettaKnight
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 548
Location: Fort Wayne
Series Italia 161

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you have it tinted?

Is there any reason a windscreen can't be opaque? I really don't look through mine, just over it.

Spray paint?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Dooglas
Member


Joined: 08 Jul 2007
Posts: 4216
Location: Oregon City, OR
Buddy 125, GTS300, Typhoon 125

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse Reply with quote

coolrays wrote:
3. This is minor, and I could be swayed, but it just seems a bit... tall!

There actually is an optimal height for a scooter windscreen. You want to be able to look over the top of the windscreen and see the road 20 to 30 feet in front of you. You want the airstream to flow just over the top of your helmet. If it is taller than that, you will be looking through the windscreen at the road, which means you will be looking through dirt, bugs, rain splatters, whatever. If it is shorter than that, the stream of air coming over the screen will hit you in the face or shoulders. This is why some people buy a taller screen and cut it down to the correct height for their scooter and their own height/helmet position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
coolrays
Member


Joined: 15 Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Location: OKL∆HOM∆
'17 Buddy Eclipse 125cc

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking for a dark windshield for a 2017 Buddy Eclipse Reply with quote

Dooglas wrote:
coolrays wrote:
3. This is minor, and I could be swayed, but it just seems a bit... tall!

There actually is an optimal height for a scooter windscreen. You want to be able to look over the top of the windscreen and see the road 20 to 30 feet in front of you. You want the airstream to flow just over the top of your helmet. If it is taller than that, you will be looking through the windscreen at the road, which means you will be looking through dirt, bugs, rain splatters, whatever. If it is shorter than that, the stream of air coming over the screen will hit you in the face or shoulders. This is why some people buy a taller screen and cut it down to the correct height for their scooter and their own height/helmet position.


This is a good point! Thanks for the info.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
OBX Dan
Member


Joined: 11 May 2019
Posts: 62
Location: Outer Banks, N.C.
2016 Roughhouse Sport

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tight Buddy. Great color.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
skipper20
Member


Joined: 10 Dec 2012
Posts: 825
Location: Des Moines, WA
170i

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JettaKnight wrote:
Could you have it tinted?

Is there any reason a windscreen can't be opaque? I really don't look through mine, just over it.

Spray paint?


Only if you're contemplating suicide including killing or injuring a small child or somebody's pet animal who just happened to run right in front of you but your opaque windshield prevented you from seeing them.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Point37
Member


Joined: 08 Mar 2018
Posts: 342
Location: Southcoast, MA
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skipper20 wrote:
JettaKnight wrote:
Could you have it tinted?

Is there any reason a windscreen can't be opaque? I really don't look through mine, just over it.

Spray paint?


Only if you're contemplating suicide including killing or injuring a small child or somebody's pet animal who just happened to run right in front of you but your opaque windshield prevented you from seeing them.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro


people have opaque windshields on motorcycles all the time...most of them are not in front of your face though...it would probably be fine if you do it on a lower windshield...i would not recommend it on a tall windshield...they make spray paint tint for plastic...but i would spray the inside of the windscreen in case you screw up it won't look as bad

_________________
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
JettaKnight
Member


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 548
Location: Fort Wayne
Series Italia 161

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skipper20 wrote:
JettaKnight wrote:
Could you have it tinted?

Is there any reason a windscreen can't be opaque? I really don't look through mine, just over it.

Spray paint?


Only if you're contemplating suicide including killing or injuring a small child or somebody's pet animal who just happened to run right in front of you but your opaque windshield prevented you from seeing them.

Bill in Seattle
'84 Honda Gyro

For me, that area is five, maybe six, feet directly in front of the bike.

If something pops up right there, it's 30 milliseconds from being hit. (i.e. unavoidable)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
wheelbender6
Member


Joined: 07 Jul 2013
Posts: 628
Location: Houston area
Genuine Buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sell a translucent paint at craft stores that can make clear glass look like stained glass. I used some to make a clear tail light lens red. I have only seen it as brush paint.
_________________
"It's not WHAT you ride, but THAT you ride" - unknown
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Point37
Member


Joined: 08 Mar 2018
Posts: 342
Location: Southcoast, MA
'13 Buddy 125 Seafoam

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Lens-Tint-Spray-Paint-Black/17203471
_________________
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
coolrays
Member


Joined: 15 Apr 2017
Posts: 27
Location: OKL∆HOM∆
'17 Buddy Eclipse 125cc

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I do NOT want an opaque windshield! Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

  Scootergear designed by riders for riders


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
All Content Copyright 2007-2011 by Modern Buddy. All Rights Reserved.