'06 Buddy 125 factory air screw setting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

fiddlefan

'06 Buddy 125 factory air screw setting

Post by fiddlefan »

Anybody happen to know the factory air mixture screw setting for an '06 Genuine Buddy 125? The carb was cleaned recently by a Genuine dealer and they set the air screw at 1 turn out. Is this correct? They never road tested the scooter after repair and the scooter is VERY SLUGGISH off the line up to a top speed of around 45-50 with my 175 lbs. on it on a level road. It runs more like a 50cc than a 125cc. It's got 2,900 miles on it. If memory serves the last time I road a Buddy 125, it was quite quick off the line all the way up to a top speed of around 60ish. I'm not saying the air mixture screw is the problem, but 1 turn out on a 125 seems to little to me. Maybe not. What say you Buddy experts on here?
It's official... I'm a "scootaholic"...even have the custom t-shirt to prove it.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Sounds like they didn't install the rubber diaphragm correctly, or there's a hole in it.

As for the screw it is 2 1/4 turns out, at least that's what the service manual says.-
babblefish wrote:From the service manual:

CARBURETOR SPECIFICATIONS:
ITEM SPECIFICATION SPECIFICATION
Model M2-125
Carburetor type KEIHIN CVK24
Bore size 24mm
I.D. NO 013
Idle r/min 1700 ± 100
Float height 18.0 ± 0.5 mm
Main jet #102
Jet needle 4HGGN
Needle jet P-O
Pilot jet #35
Pilot screw (PRE-OPENING) 2 1/4 turns
fiddlefan

Post by fiddlefan »

scootERIK,

You were right about the rubber diaphragm. When I removed the cap, the diaphragm edge was not sealed down into the groove. I cannot believe the dealer did not test ride this scooter after servicing it... BLOWS MY MIND. If they had done so, they would have immediately known it didn't have the punch off-the-line / acceleration for which a Buddy 125 is notorious. I suppose that's the reason they had the air mixture screw set at 1 turn out, so it would run at idle. U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E and really inexcusable on the dealer's part, especially since they charged $240.00 for a carb clean and a new air filter. They even left 2-3 screws out of the air box lid also. I am not in the habit of ragging on dealer's but at $80 per hour, the work should be quality.

Many thanks, sir!
It's official... I'm a "scootaholic"...even have the custom t-shirt to prove it.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Our local Genuine dealer often has minimum wage hipster wannabes working as mechanics. Just because you pay $125 a shop hour, doesn't mean the guy working on your scooter knows more than you.