Buddy 125 hoses misplaced?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scooter_goose

Buddy 125 hoses misplaced?

Post by scooter_goose »

Just got my Buddy back from the shop after having sat for a couple of years. It starts up fine, and now idles without dying, but I can't get it over 20-25 mph, and acceleration is embarrassingly slow. I took it back, and the mechanic can't figure out what's happening, and didn't fully know if a hose was missing or in the wrong place. The carb was cleaned, jets cleared, battery replaced, and I replaced the air filter. I think one of the hoses might be in the wrong place, but I can't find a clear diagram or photo to compare my engine to. Attached are photos I took of my engine, and I'm hoping someone can tell me if they notice any hoses in the wrong place. I'll double-check the tightness around the manifold hoses tomorrow to be sure there aren't any air leaks. If you think I need photos at different angles, let me know. Thanks!

Photos:
https://imgur.com/a/q9irqpd
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

They might not have seated the diaphragm properly when they cleaned the carb.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Seconded. A bad diaphragm seal will let a bike idle happily all day, but it'll always act like you are giving it half throttle, and it'll sputter and cough at the top end.
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

Thirded.. your carb diaphragm is not seated properly. Easy to check without taking much apart. Lift the carb access panel unscrew the two screws that hold the diaphragm cover on, and make sure the raised outer edge of the diaphragm is fully seated in the slot for it that runs all the way around the outside of the diaphragm.
scooter_goose

Thanks!

Post by scooter_goose »

Wow, thanks -- I really hope that's it. I'll check it tomorrow and let you know.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Yes, a mis-seated diaphragm will do that, but so will an obstructed main jet. How good a job did this fellow do of "cleaning" the carb?
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Where are you in Colorado?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Lubricating the sealing lip of the diaphragm with rubber safe lube will help it seal better.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.