Hooligan + Top Case = Wobble

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Jaue-GTH

Hooligan + Top Case = Wobble

Post by Jaue-GTH »

Anyone have luck using a top case with the Hooligan? My 2016 model rides great with no issues. But when I put on a top case, I get serious front wheel wobble while decelerating, too much wobble for me to consider safe.

Tire pressure is fine and I have tried adjusting the PSI. It doesn't matter if the case is empty or carrying weight.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

That's bizarre.....the top case shouldn't be affecting your stability when braking. How much weight are you loading it up with? Does it change when empty vs loaded? Does it also wobble if you use the rear brake only?
Jaue-GTH

Post by Jaue-GTH »

Stanza wrote:That's bizarre.....the top case shouldn't be affecting your stability when braking. How much weight are you loading it up with? Does it change when empty vs loaded? Does it also wobble if you use the rear brake only?
Jaue-GTH wrote:It doesn't matter if the case is empty or carrying weight.
The wobble starts when I let off the gas at ~25 MPH, no need to apply brakes. But it continues while I am breaking. I haven't tested slowing down from faster than 25, since it isn't safe. Also haven't tested with just the rear brake.

I know intuitively it doesn't make sense, but some laws of physics must be in play here...
Point37

Post by Point37 »

you're not the only one...it sounds like the wind buffeting makes the case shake and it transfers throughout the scooter...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic23367.html#299861
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Some Vespa GTS scooters are prone to some steering wobble when decelerating through 30-25 mph. In that case, it seems to be made worse by a loaded topcase, an out of balance tire, or a misadjusted front steering race. If the problem is the topcase, loading it more lightly or using weighted bar ends seems to help.
Jaue-GTH

Post by Jaue-GTH »

Point37 wrote:you're not the only one...it sounds like the wind buffeting makes the case shake and it transfers throughout the scooter...

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic23367.html#299861
It does ride perfectly without the case. Prior to this I had a Buddy 150 with a case, it rode fine with the case on; even with 12 beers in it :-)

I still would like to know if anyone with a Hooligan is able to use a case without problems.

For future search result:
shake
vibrate
wobble
Point37

Post by Point37 »

if you know anyone else with a top case i would see if you can mount their case and see if it's better with a different model case on it...maybe you could sell your case and buy a different one...or you could try some type of locking trunk and just put a piece of wood or plastic in the base and drill through the bottom and mount it...maybe something made by plano (cheap pelican case)...there is always the milk crate approach as a last resort
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Hmm, I have an oversize Givi top case on my Buddy 150 and don't have any stability or handling issues. I use the same case on my Blur without problems either. The Hooligan is bigger than the Buddy so I'm not sure what's going on.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

I had a Shad 33 top case on my Hooligan for about 2 years. I did notice a very slight wobble on deceleration, but didn’t notice a difference when the case was off. The mounting points for the rear rack\ grab bar rusted out and broke ,so not able to use either grab bar or rear rack. Poor welds, too much vibration.
Was able to smooth out the ride a bit by installing Continental tires...
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...