Fixed my kill switch, I hope

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wheelbender6

Fixed my kill switch, I hope

Post by wheelbender6 »

Time for annual state inspection and the kill switch suddenly quit working on my wife's Buddy 125. Removed the handle bar fairing to access the control block screws. Opened it up and it looked clean and corrosion free on the inside. Crap! Now I have to check ground wires.
-After removing other unnecessary body parts, I removed the front hood to check ground wires. I live near the salt water, so even a garaged scooter develops a lot of corrosion.
-I noticed a blue wire, separate from the other wire bundles that ran from the right control quadrant to an unknown metallic box under the hood. Then I notice a lot of rust on the bolt connecting that unknown box to the frame. I removed the box and sanded the areas where the unknown metallic box and frame touch each other.
-The worst part was putting the screws back in the handle bar fairing.
They enter from the bottom. If the threads don't catch hold, they fall right out on the ground. I finally had to lay the scooter on one side to get the screws in right.
-After reassembly, the kill switch was working again. I hope it keeps working because we ride in areas packed with cars and pedestrians. Cheers
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Glad you fixed, and hearing about those damned screws brings back memories I want to forget.

Oh, and I refer to that piece not as the "hood", but the the "carapace". :D
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Carapace seems more appropriate (after I looked it up).
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI