18K mi Buddy 50, 95lb compression.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Hamiskates

18K mi Buddy 50, 95lb compression.

Post by Hamiskates »

Hi! I'm glad to have found this site. Lots of good stuff here!

I have just shy of 18K on my ride, a 2014 Buddy 50 Italia. I've lost quite a bit of top end in the last 5K. I've had regular maintenance done at the dealership but now that the warranty has ended I'd like to DIY more stuff.

Is this usually a head gasket issue?

I replaced my rollers and belt just a few miles ago. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Hamiskates on Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

There are no valves to adjust on your engine. Two cycle engines, which yours is, don't have any.
Hamiskates

Thanks!

Post by Hamiskates »

I've never had a two stroke before. I had no idea they don't have valves, but now that I looked it up I'm like...duh. Anyway, you wouldn't happen to know what my compression should be would you? I do have a compression gauge.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Sure! On a buddy 50, anything in the 125-140 range will be best. Below that, it starts having idling problems and overall power loss.
Hamiskates

Post by Hamiskates »

Thanks for your time, Stanza. I'll check when the temps cool down. The heat index is 100F right now!
Hamiskates

Post by Hamiskates »

Ugh. 95lbs. Not cool.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Do modern 2-strokes like the Buddy need to have their exhausts decoked like old ones used to? This was a major service item every 2k miles or so on my 1986 Honda 50cc, and it made a big difference. Nobody seems to talk about it now but with 18k miles on a scooter I’d rule that out first.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Hamiskates wrote:Ugh. 95lbs. Not cool.
Boo is right.....sounds like it's time for a new set of rings and a cylinder honing. Or a new top end, since they aren't desperately expensive. Don't feel bad though, 18k is a respectable mileage for an original top end.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

tenders wrote:Do modern 2-strokes like the Buddy need to have their exhausts decoked like old ones used to? This was a major service item every 2k miles or so on my 1986 Honda 50cc, and it made a big difference. Nobody seems to talk about it now but with 18k miles on a scooter I’d rule that out first.
Back when it was just the baffles that got carboned up, this was definitely something to do. Unfortunately, the stock exhaust on the buddy and roughhouse both have a catalytic converter built in. Once that's plugged, it's hard to bring it back. You can usually tell if it's a plugged exhaust by pulling out the bypass bolt in the exhaust tube (right before it hits the larger "muffler" section) to see if you pick up any speed. But it would take an exhaust so plugged as to be useless to noticeably change the compression (it would likely raise it if so, since it's not allowing exhaust to escape).
tenders

Post by tenders »

Ah yes, the catalytic converters. Thanks for the detail. Sounds like a ring job is in order for this fine Buddy.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Go for broke and replace the piston/rings/pin/clips/gaskets and clean the heat well. If this is an iron liner cylinder, at least hone it.
Ready for another 18K!
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Did you use a small engine compression tester on your engine?'
If you didn't, don't trust this measurement.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.