Almost set on Rattler 110, but know of new Blur on sale...

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

huh?

Almost set on Rattler 110, but know of new Blur on sale...

Post by huh? »

(Posted in General and Rattler forums...sorry for repeat, just want a lot of feedback)
Haven't ridden much, but want to buy a scoot. Partially for fun, partially for cheap transportation. Average daily commute would be at least 8 miles both ways. Need capability to maneuver in city traffic (at least 55-60mph). Would like decent acceleration (again, in-traffic maneuverability). Also, would like to take my wifey around on it every now and then. I'm 5'-11"ish and 34 inseam. By the way, scooter would NOT be primary transportation.

Love the Aprilia SR, but you don't get much to work with (stock power). Was just about set on the Rattler 110, but recently heard of a new Blur 150 for sale. I love the looks of Both. I'm wanting to know more about how these two models compare. Also, I'd like to know how the Blur's 4 stroke acceleration compares to the Rattler's 2 stroke.

Any advice would be appreciated.
jasonkoscho

scoots

Post by jasonkoscho »

If you're going to be hauling around two people, i'd go with the bigger scooter. Im not sure what the underseat storage is like on the Rattler, but the Blur is dec. You can easily fit your helmet and some extras under there.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

i just got a 07 blur and it pulls hard of the line and moves fast up to about 50-55 then kind of slows a bit but im still breaking in my bike . but it dos fly no dout! that and the blur as one of the best sounding pipes a nice deep rumble. after breakin and a windscreen a top speed of 75+ could be had.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

justscooten wrote:after breakin and a windscreen a top speed of 75+ could be had.
not 2-up, that's for sure : )

I weigh 250lbs and I'm lucky to hit 68 once in a while. If you're skinny, you might see 70mph in bursts, but "75+" is really pushing it, I'd say, unless you're getting into some modifications.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

well i did say top speed . that im about 190 but mabey 75 is a pit optamistic.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

There is always the muffler, Prima made a prototype, it isnt released yet, but maybe soon it will be, if not, there is the risk of the mrp pipe, people say their pipes arent the best, but I guess if it works, it does the job.

75 may be the top speed of the bike if lucky, but with a pipe and wind screen, it might be reachable a bit easier.
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

what did Mark Twain say? something like - at the end of our life, we are going to regret more the things we did not do than the things we did.

hehe.. you'll be sorry you did not buy the Rattler :cry:
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Same could be said for the Blur, you passing up a good deal on a 2007 blur, you might regret it, but then if you get a blur, you might regret not getting a rattler.

If you have a motorcycle license I'd go to your dealer and ask for a quick test ride in the parking lot of allowed. You can see which one has better suspension/handling/acceleration then.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

A test ride sounds like the ticket. I too was between the Blur and the Rattler 110. I went with thew 110 cause I know a tuned 2t is big fun. Although both machines are low volume as far as sales go, there's no fear of 150cc +/- 4 strokes going away... can't say the same for 2t of 49.5+ccs. I kinda figured if I don't like the Rattler I've got all the time I need to find a 4 stroke machine I like, who knows how long Genuine can keep the 110 legal for sale in the US. I personally feel either machine would be awesome to own, you wouldn't have the problem of seeing too many others on the same exact scoot out there either. So ride em' and buy what feels right they're both winners.
huh?

Post by huh? »

[quote="nissanman"...Although both machines are low volume as far as sales go, there's no fear of 150cc +/- 4 strokes going away... can't say the same for 2t of 49.5+ccs...[/quote]

Never thought of this...
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

With 2 strokes being banned from California (cant import and sell) many other states may follow in the coming years, with all this global warming, and c02 junk you hear everyday, they may outlaw the import and selling of 2 stroke bikes. Owning them is ok, they cant take away your bike if it still runs, but selling/buying a new one would be illegal if they passed laws like California did.
afriendofcheese

Post by afriendofcheese »

Do 2Ts have high carbon dioxide emissions? Why would CA ban them? I'm sure it's got to be waaay lower than, say, a Prius. Anyone have an idea what it is?
afriendofcheese

Here's an article I found, but it doesn't seem to be right (i.e. an '05 Vespa having higher CO2 emissions than an SUV). The author also says you have to change the oil in a 2T.
http://wweek.com/editorial/3240/7867
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

2-strokes mix oil with the gas and burn it off in the engine. A modern one is way better than an old one, but they're just not really an environmentally-friendly design. (the benefit is simplicity in design, and traditionally you'd get more power from smaller displacement with a 2T engine, but that's not really true these days)

that story's been bouncing around forever, just ignore it, it's on the right track, but they got pretty much every fact wrong and they're comparing apples and oranges and not taking any of the many variables into account. Look at the comments, they really botched it.

Most modern scooters (the ONE "modern" scooter they tested is a 30-year-old engine design) aren't too bad for the environment, and are mostly better than a car, although, yes, it's certainly fair to say that 2-strokes are less friendly than 4-strokes (in general).

One thing people never mention is that four scooters driving on the road instead of one car with four people (or worse yet, 50 scooters instead of a busload of people) aren't really helping anything.

As far as changing oil, you don't change it so much as add a little to the gas when you fill up (modern bikes mix it for you, you just have to keep an oil tank topped off). Then it's burned off in the exhaust. 4-strokes have a separate lubrication system that (mostly) keeps oil out of the emissions system, but it needs to be replaced ocassionally. Then there's gearbox oil, too, that's a seperate system that must be changed regularly, though that is closed off and doesn't
afriendofcheese

illnoise wrote: One thing people never mention is that four scooters driving on the road instead of one car with four people (or worse yet, 50 scooters instead of a busload of people) aren't really helping anything.
The thing is, how often do you really see 4 people in a car commuting to work? Two is even rare.

I guess my question is, does a 2008 two-stroke scooter have lower CO2 emissions than any car of the same year?
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

afriendofcheese wrote:The thing is, how often do you really see 4 people in a car commuting to work? Two is even rare.
Oh, sure, but you do see a lot of couples go out and buy a pair of 60mpg scooters to 'save gas money,' when they'd use the same amount of gas driving in a 30mpg car.
afriendofcheese wrote:I guess my question is, does a 2008 two-stroke scooter have lower CO2 emissions than any car of the same year?
There are just way too many variables there to make a definitive statement, I think. Cars and scooters vary widely, you can talk about the CO2 as total output from the vehicle, or as a percentage of the vehicles emissions, there are many other pollutants that have their own problems (Carbon Monoxide, especially)... I'd love to see some research on that, but that story does not contain good data.

It's fair to say that a modern-tech small-displacement scooter (<50cc) is reasonably environmentally-friendly and would have a smaller carbon footprint than just about any full-size car. But a 4-stroke scooter (of similar displacement) would, in most cases, offer a greater ecological advantage.

ArgoUSA (BajajUSA) used to have some data on their site about their 4-stroke emissions and it compared them to some other vehicles, but their site is suddenly password protected, which is weird.

I might try to do some more research on this (maybe pick a few specific scooters and cars and compare them in various ways) and print it as an "Ask Dr. Buzz" story on my site, if that's OK with you...

Bb.

Bb.
afriendofcheese

illnoise wrote: I might try to do some more research on this (maybe pick a few specific scooters and cars and compare them in various ways) and print it as an "Ask Dr. Buzz" story on my site, if that's OK with you...
Please do! I'd love to know the results of your research.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Here's that Bajaj chart I was talking about...

http://argousa.com/emissions.htm

remember, this is their marketing, so it's not totally objective maybe.

Also note, that's CO, not CO2...

and their 2-stroke stats are for a 150cc 2stroke, presumably an old Vespa design like the one quoted in the other article. A modern, catalyzed 2-stroke, especially a 50cc model, would be much, much less.

Note that they say "uncatalyzed" which is a bit sinister because they're clearly targeting the Stella, which was their main competitor, and it *is* catalyzed.

Bb.
huh?

Post by huh? »

nissanman wrote:A test ride sounds like the ticket. I too was between the Blur and the Rattler 110. I went with thew 110 cause I know a tuned 2t is big fun. Although both machines are low volume as far as sales go, there's no fear of 150cc +/- 4 strokes going away... can't say the same for 2t of 49.5+ccs. I kinda figured if I don't like the Rattler I've got all the time I need to find a 4 stroke machine I like, who knows how long Genuine can keep the 110 legal for sale in the US...
But...I would be getting such a screamin' deal on the blur, that If I absolutley hate it, I could prob sell it for a decent price and still get a rattler, or straight trade it for one...
huh?

Post by huh? »

i hate this decesion....
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

How about a buddy :D

I went in to buy a blur today, ended up coming out with a buddy.
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

ill just say this i love my blur it handles great the bigger 13 in wheels realy help with the smooth ride and out here in the great wight north the roads are not the best after a winter . i did get it out for a short ride last week and man did that thing get the looks. check out www.justgotascoot.com nice review on the blur. that and if you get a blur your going to be the only one that as one where you are im sure.