Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Squeaking on front tire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
beaubuck

Genuine Buddy Roma 50

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Squeaking on front tire Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've recently been experiencing a repetitive squeak or a "ringing" sound when I'm in motion on my Buddy Roma 50. The sound stops immediately when the front brake is applied. My tire inflation is good, pads seem to be good and brake fluid is also good.

Can anyone offer a clue as to what this is?
johnk

2003 Stella 2T & 2012 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it happen primarily at low speeds (including while walking the bike)?

If so, it's just a little bit of harmless rubbing. Brake rotors tend to develop a thin coating of brake-pad material on them, which creates just enough friction while they're not being applied to squeal. As long as your brakes still work normally, the squeal isn't cause for concern.

Cleaning the rotors may help, but it could also cause a decrease in stopping power, because all that brake material is good for friction. But if you want to try to get rid of the squeal, pinch the rotor with a scotchbrite pad (not sandpaper!) while spinning the wheel quickly for several seconds, then spray some electrical contact cleaner on a rag and wipe the rotor down.
beaubuck

Genuine Buddy Roma 50

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brakes seem more than adequate. The squeak ( ring ) does not occur when the bike is walked - only when Im at speed. I took your suggestion and did some cleaning, so I'll see if that helps. In case I need a plan B, anyone else dealing with this type of problem?
Stanza

Puch Maxi, Honda C70

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have primarily been doing gentle stops, you might be dealing with glazed brake pads. If so, the solution is to take them out and rough up their contact surface with some 60 grit sandpaper. You want your brake rotor to be smooth and clean, so hit it with some brake parts cleaner first. If that doesn't help, then take out the pads and give them a good scuffing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: