Mixing Two Types of 2-cycle Oil

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jrichkc

Mixing Two Types of 2-cycle Oil

Post by jrichkc »

Thought this question could be easily answered via Google or the forums but I am not finding anything definitive. I just bought my 2007 Stella and it has oil in it. The previous owner is unknown so I have no way of referencing them on what oil it is. But, I am following recommendations I have found online and ordered Motul 2T. Can I just start adding this oil as needed to the reservoir? Is it okay to mix different types of 2-cycle oil? The Motul is full synthetic and, again, I don't know anything about the oil currently in there. Appreciate the help.
milly

Post by milly »

I bought mine a few years back with unknown oil in it. I just filled mine with decent fully synthetic and keep doing so to date and had no problems.
Others with more knowledge than me may chip in with there experience.
johnk

Post by johnk »

First of all, congratulations, and welcome!

I don't have a definitive answer, but I was recently in the exact same position with my 2003 2T. I didn't trust the previous owner at all, and I even had a hunch he had been putting 4T oil in the 2T tank. So I used my handy syringe with a long tube (honestly one of the most useful tools in my garage) to get as much out as I could (which appeared to be pretty much all of it) so that I could start fresh with some Motul 710.

I have seen a few people around various forums say you shouldn't mix different 2T oils, but it's hard to imagine that our sturdy Stellas really care.
jrichkc

Post by jrichkc »

Sounds like a pretty simple and inexpensive solution to just suck it out with a syringe. Thanks for the replies!
modsquad

Mixing different oils

Post by modsquad »

When I bought my 2005 Stella 2-T in July of this year. The owner said you can't get 2-T oil anymore so he was using a universal 2 stroke oil and all is well so far. When I'm done withe the bottle he gave me I might try another. Is Motul 2-T oil really worth all the money or is just hype.I'm willing to bet all two stroke oil's are the same just wrapped differently...
I love the smell of 2 stroke oil in the morning
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

"The owner said you can't get 2-T oil anymore"

Facepalm.

Not all oils are created equal, there are different levels of refinement and quality. Motul is a high grade synthetic, which will mean it can handle running high rpm, high power, and still burn cleanly enough that you won't plug up your pipe. You can live on hot dog meat, but wouldn't you rather have steak?