Hooligan wheels on a Buddy - terrible or brilliant idea?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buzzvert

Hooligan wheels on a Buddy - terrible or brilliant idea?

Post by buzzvert »

The Hooligan's 12" wheels are compelling. Has anyone swapped the 10"s on a Buddy with them?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

As nice as that might be, it won't work. On the front, the fender would be in the way. In the rear, the tire/wheel won't fit because the engine is in the way and possibly part of the frame.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Even 10 inch alloy wheels would suit me. I live near salt water and my wheels rust from the salty air.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

I've heard tell that the newer alloys are a direct swap for old steelies. Go for it!

As for the hooligan wheels though....yeah no. The engine case is in the way.
Last edited by Stanza on Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

Stanza wrote:I've heard tell that the newer alloys are a direct swap for old steelies. Go for it!

As for teh hooligan wheels though....yeah no. The engine case is in the way.
Thanks everyone for the info. I ran into the same issue a few months back when I tried to do something to make a Honda Metropolitan less terrible. What got me thinking is the fact that my rear steelie is out of true which is causing a nasty rear brake warp, and you can tell at speeds over, say, 40. It's minor, but if I swap out, was pondering options.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Actually, after thinking about this it might be possible if you change the engine to a long case version. Should bolt right in because I think PGO used standard GY6 engine mounting points. Modify the front/rear fenders to clear the bigger wheels. You'll get a longer wheelbase and bigger wheels for more stability.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

There you go. You can solve the problem of a warped rear wheel by replacing the engine, half the body panels, and a few other miscellaneous parts. Hmmm, sounds like a whole lot more trouble than it is worth. Why not just replace the wheel for cheap and call it good?
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

Dooglas wrote:There you go. You can solve the problem of a warped rear wheel by replacing the engine, half the body panels, and a few other miscellaneous parts. Hmmm, sounds like a whole lot more trouble than it is worth. Why not just replace the wheel for cheap and call it good?
Not for everyone, granted. But when you can get a GY6 long case equipped bike for $500 or less off of Craigslist, complete with 14" rear wheel... it would be a compelling project. People do this all the time to their Hondas- so it's not too far-fetched, especially for the people that are sitting on a lot of scooter parts.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Honda Ruckus owners are always modding their rides in one way or another. Who says Buddy owners can't do the same?:)
Attachments
HondaRuckus.jpg
HondaRuckus.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
scootingbiscuit

Front wheel only.

Post by scootingbiscuit »

I was thinking about just putting a 12inch wheel up front only. What are the axle measurements on the hooligan?