Is a Starlite a Stella?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

peabody99

Is a Starlite a Stella?

Post by peabody99 »

I am heaving trouble finding out if this is the same bike. it looks like it...if so does the auto Stella have any storage? I am considering renting one of these in Lisbon, but a helmet lock and some storage (ie purse and water bottle) is pretty important.

Edit, here is a Starlite: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqWKA7VU-D4
johnk

Post by johnk »

I had never heard of a Starlite before! It looks like it's equivalent to a Vespa PK, not a PX like the Stella. But it does look like it has a glovebox.

The biggest difference in their appearance is that the PX has removable cowls, while the PK has side doors. I believe the PK is also quite a bit smaller.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

LML who built the Stella for Genuine marketed the bike under the ‘Star’ name in Europe. It’s essentially an identical twin of ‘Stella’. Glove box storage only.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
johnk

Post by johnk »

I think peabody99 knows that, but the Star different from the Starlite.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Not with those flaps where the removable cowls should be. Different body shell, for starters. Looks to be another in the many PX150 offshoots that showed up when Vespa released the rights to the old design.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Well I think I have my answer, glove box storage only. I figured there was nothing under seat...it was a long shot.
johnk

Post by johnk »

I spotted a Vespa PK50S in Groningen, NL.

peabody99, if you do end up renting one, we'd love to hear about your experience with it.

PS. What do you mean when you say helmet lock? The Stella has a helmet loop between the rider's legs, and I think some older Vespas have a clever little double-sided hook that can be semi-locked under the seat, which is also available as an aftermarket accessory.
Attachments
Double-sided helmet hook
Double-sided helmet hook
41koOcYgzmL.jpg (20.78 KiB) Viewed 2227 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

As KABarash said, Star is the brand name that LML used for the Stella line in Europe. The Star lite is the 125 auto as it was sold in Europe.

https://scooterlab.uk/lml-star-lite-125 ... road-test/