2 cycle oil , is this good ?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

brothergc

2 cycle oil , is this good ?

Post by brothergc »

brand new 2019 RH 50 owner I just bought the scooter new . So the dealer only fulled my oil tank to 25% enough to get me by . So I went down to my local auto parts store and found this oil . Lucas semi-synthetic 2 cycle oil
https://lucasoil.com/products/2-cycle-o ... -cycle-oil
did I do good ? This was all that they had looks ok
Thoughts , feedback appreciated

edit been doing some research would this be better
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN ... 02-20?th=1

note I am still in break in period , less then 50 miles on the scooter
tenders

Post by tenders »

I believe it is the JASO FD standard and the reference to oil injection systems that are important for this - and that oil meets those criteria. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use it although, as you'll see, 25% of the oil tank will last for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

What you don't want is an oil that only mentions "premix" on the label. Premix refers to the old style of two-cycle engines in which the user has to measure and add the right amount of oil into the fuel before or after filling the tank. The Buddy has an injection system that meters the oil into the fuel automatically so you don't have to mix it.

I wouldn't say the Amazon oil is any better than the Lucas. The extent to which 100% synthetic oil performs better than semisynthetic is likely immeasurable in a scooter engine.

Welcome to scooterdom!
brothergc

Post by brothergc »

tenders wrote:I believe it is the JASO FD standard and the reference to oil injection systems that are important for this - and that oil meets those criteria. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use it although, as you'll see, 25% of the oil tank will last for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

What you don't want is an oil that only mentions "premix" on the label. Premix refers to the old style of two-cycle engines in which the user has to measure and add the right amount of oil into the fuel before or after filling the tank. The Buddy has an injection system that meters the oil into the fuel automatically so you don't have to mix it.

I wouldn't say the Amazon oil is any better than the Lucas. The extent to which 100% synthetic oil performs better than semisynthetic is likely immeasurable in a scooter engine.

Welcome to scooterdom!
thank You for the reply I will give this a try might move to the redline after the 300 mile dealer service . The dealer said that He is going to change the oil to all pure synthetic once he sees it at the 300 mi service . He was going on and on about some french brand of oil I can't even pronounce or have ever heard of .
I did find this on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL0td7vFnPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW1llfo4krI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqXGhbzJww0
Reviews look pretty solid I only found one bad review on amazon saying that it destroyed his engine , I dought that one
tenders

Post by tenders »

There are two oils in these scooters: the one you're dealing with now, which is added to the gas by injection and burns off; and the one that bathes the "final drive" in the transmission, which is supposed to be changed after the first 300 miles as the gears wear in, and every few thousand miles thereafter. It's akin to the transmission fluid in a car, although it's a different weight of much less complex lubricant because the scooter transmission is a relatively simple beast by comparison.

The dealer is probably talking about the second one. Changing it takes an amateur about fifteen minutes and a pro about five. You're supposed to inspect the oil to make sure it doesn't contain an undue amount of metal glitter.
brothergc

Post by brothergc »

tenders wrote:There are two oils in these scooters: the one you're dealing with now, which is added to the gas by injection and burns off; and the one that bathes the "final drive" in the transmission, which is supposed to be changed after the first 300 miles as the gears wear in, and every few thousand miles thereafter. It's akin to the transmission fluid in a car, although it's a different weight of much less complex lubricant because the scooter transmission is a relatively simple beast by comparison.

The dealer is probably talking about the second one. Changing it takes an amateur about fifteen minutes and a pro about five. You're supposed to inspect the oil to make sure it doesn't contain an undue amount of metal glitter.
I see well I have to ask Him when I see him this Tuesday thanks again for the reply ! :D
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Make sure you get oil that is actually JASO FD Certified, not that "Meets or exceeds" marketing BS.
tbswope

Post by tbswope »

All I have used in mine after what the dealer put in is the Lucas that your link shows. Mine is a 2014 and I am original owner. I will say that at start up scooter will smoke for a period until it is warmed up and then it is fine. I have no plans on switching as that is the oil my local parts store carries and readily available.