Stella 2t as a commuter?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

artfull dodger

Stella 2t as a commuter?

Post by artfull dodger »

I commute 23 miles each way to work, back roads, 50 to 55 mph most of the way. Is a 2t up to doing that on a regular basis 9 months of the year? I'm not planning to mod it or go after more power. If anything, I want durability not speed.
Silly NT's....I have Asperger's!!!
johnk

Post by johnk »

I can't give you a good answer from experience, except to say that I don't see any reason a 2T wouldn't be able to do it. I do think 55 MPH is pushing the stock engine just a little bit, so I might plan on taking a few breaks.

Is it absolutely crucial that you arrive on time every single day? If so, it feels a little more risky than driving a car. Just a single season (9 months) of commuting will put over 8,000 miles on your odometer, which is a lot. Again, there's no apparent reason the 2T can't do it; it's just a little more risky.

If your employer would understand if you miss a day once in a while, or arrive a few hours late, I think you could pull it off. Bad weather might slow you down, and you'll probably get a flat tire at some point, but you can probably do it.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I have my Jeep, so if the weather looks uncertain, I will usually drive. I absolutly despise getting wet in the rain. Even going from the parking lot to the plant is not fun(part of being autistic I am told by my therapist). So it wouldnt be an every day thing. I do have a 2 stroke mechanic locally, for when the stock engine lays down, I can have him built it to be more happy at 55. I dont need crazy power or the biggest CC, just built with an eye toward dependablity. Its not a sollid 55 the whole way, have a small town to go thru, 30mph with several stop signs, and a neighborhood to cruise thru close to home. So maybe 15 miles or so of open road. I can always leave a bit earlier to run 50ish the whole way. The ride in and ride home are the best parts of the day, time to get myself in work mode, and time to unwind going down the dark roads(I work second shift) I would get a good rain cover to keep a pop up shower from soaking the scooter while I am in the plant. I am a 20+ year small engine mechanic, so keeping up on maintance is not a problem either
Silly NT's....I have Asperger's!!!