Why do we avoid the stella autos?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

artfull dodger

Why do we avoid the stella autos?

Post by artfull dodger »

Other that being an orphan, why do we avoid the automatics? Isnt it basicly similar to other cvt set ups in other scouts? I know the 2t is more upgradeable being based off the original Vespa design. But if leaving bone stock, is parts to fix the engine/trans the only major reason? Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks. Mike the Aspie
Silly NT's....I have Asperger's!!!
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

They got a bad rep early on with a recall being issued right after launch for faulty ECU's. That, and the sometimes unreliable electrics, and the carb which was simultaneously difficult to get to for servicing, and needed to be kept spotlessly clean/adjusted. For the rider that doesn't want to turn a wrench, or will be putting the bike up for a few weeks at a time, they can be a real headache. But for folks that went through them and cleaned up the wiring, and folks that ride regularly so the carb doesn't get gummed up, they can be solid bikes.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

Ok, I do ride nearly every day that it doesnt rain and I know how to properly stablize fuel or drain things before winter shuts down riding for a couple months. Even then, if its just stablized, I tend to fire up the bike when I am wokring on stuff in the garage thru the winter, same for my weed eater, chain saw and generator. 20+ years as a small engine mechanic, so I know how to turn a wrench or two on small engines. Just wondered if there was something, other than difficult parts availablity for the 4t engine or the auto cvt trans. Looks like a variation of the GY6 design, just with the belt drive angled down and no spare tire. The 4T auto that was emailed to me is a bit more than I want to spend. If I am going to spend that much, I can spend a couple hundred more for a 2009 2t in my prefered color of Advadcado green.
Dooglas

Re: Why do we avoid the stella autos?

Post by Dooglas »

artfull dodger wrote:Other that being an orphan, why do we avoid the automatics?
I think there is another answer to your question. For years, the 2T and 4T Stella have been the only way you could buy a new shifty scooter in the US. Yes, they have their problems but they certainly look traditional and are real shifties. Now, if you don't want a shifty anyway - what is the point of a Stella? Many other manufacturers build better CVT scooters. The Vespas are beautiful and run well. The Kymcos and Syms are well built and economical. Honda and Yamaha scooters are famed for their reliability. And then there is the Buddy.....
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

I was just asking as to why. If I get a Stella, it will be a 2T shifty. I do have a line on a Vespa LX150(version with a carb and not injection) but he lacks a title to it. Waiting to see if he can get a title to it.
artfull dodger

Post by artfull dodger »

And the point of having a non shifty stella is for those that might have struggles at times shifting. I am on the autism spectrum and bad days trying to shift the couple of motorcycles I had in the past is one reason, besides being quiet, smooth and no hot engine between ones legs, that I went back to a scooter. Yes I think the shifting is neat and adds to the classic scooter style. Just not convinced its what I want. Someone posted over on modernvespa that they had a Stella auto and a PX125 thats kitted out for sale up in Michigan. The white color on the Stella isnt really my taste, maybe if it had more decals but I can find a cheaper one thats a 2T much closer to home. Mike