Adding fog lights, how much wattage?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RubyRed

Adding fog lights, how much wattage?

Post by RubyRed »

Hello,

Been thinking about adding some fog lights to a Buddy 125. I have done the "deadlight conversion" on one using 3.5W LED bulbs. On second Buddy was thinking of going with some round rally style fog lights mounted on the front rack.

Connecting in the same way as the "deadlight conversion" what is the most wattage I could safely get away with? Lowest LED fog lights I have found doing some quick searches is 12W each. I'll be adding 2.

Thanks!
VSP

Post by VSP »

24 watts will put you in the red. You'd have to battery tender your scoot after each ride.

I did an experiment years ago to try and figure out max additional wattage without draining the battery. I can't remember the exact number now but it was pretty low. Personally, I wouldn't go over 10 additional watts. Even at that, I'd tender it frequently.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear as it definetly narrows (or elimenates) your options.
Voodoo [voo-doo] -adjective. Claimed or reputed to provide an ingenious or seemingly magical solution to a problem. <A HREF="http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic29569.html">Get your VOODOO here</A>
RubyRed

Post by RubyRed »

VSP wrote:24 watts will put you in the red. You'd have to battery tender your scoot after each ride.

I did an experiment years ago to try and figure out max additional wattage without draining the battery. I can't remember the exact number now but it was pretty low. Personally, I wouldn't go over 10 additional watts. Even at that, I'd tender it frequently.

I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear as it definetly narrows (or elimenates) your options.
hmmm, I see. With the one scooter I have 7 watts total with the deadlight conversion. It seems to work ok. Been running it for about a month now, no problem with battery going down. I was hoping to find some low wattage led fog lamps, and not use the deadlights location that are in the front faring. Maybe I will find a set, convert to lower led, and give it a go. Thanks for the info.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I have been running 7 watt leds in the dead lights for over a year and haven't had any problems.