How to check the oil on a Buddy 170i?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

This may seem like a dumb question, but how do you check the oil on a Buddy 170i? I know where the dipstick is, but after you remove it from the oil filler tube, do you screw it all the way back in, or just insert it with out screwing it in, after which you pull it out and check the oil level? I have seen it done both ways. The owner's manual doesn't say exactly how to do it.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

On my Buddy 125 I screw it in all the way, then check.

If you just stick it in without screwing it in it should still touch oil, which is fine if you just want to do a quick check to see if you have oil. But if you added enough oil to get to the top of the hash marks the engine will be overfilled with oil.

From my experience you don't want your oil level to go over the hash marks on the dipstick when checked after being screwed all the way in.

Also, in my experience you can check it hot or cold. But I would recommend being consistent. Most of the time I check it cold and I try to keep it close to the top of the hash marks.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Center stand, just dip it all the way down, no need to screw all the way in.
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

Definitely screw it all the way in when you are done checking the level though.
scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

ScootEric says screw it all the way in to check the oil, and Stanza says just just poke it in to check the oil, but screw it in after you've check the oil. This is why I am confused about this, I have heard it both ways before. I appreciate the reply, but what does the official repair manual say?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'm afraid the OEM is confused too. I've seen it described both ways in various PGO documentation, i.e., Owners Manuals and Service Manuals. For myself, I always screw the dipstick/fill doohicky all the way in then back out to check the oil level.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

Very roughly, the thread width is about the same as half of the hash marks on the dipstick. I've found that if you don't screw it in, it should juuuuust register on the dipstick, and if you do screw it in, it should come about halfway up. if you're toward the top of the hashmarks (in both cases) you risk overfilling, but I've had more problem with long case GY6's than Buddies w/regard to that.
PNWbuddy

Post by PNWbuddy »

The PGO/Buddy owners and service manuals are pitifully inadequate. Since yours is new ask the dealer, if they don't know ask the distributor or have the dealer contact them. If you do contact them post up what they say.
Typically, in my experience, small engines including motorcycle as well as lawn and garden equipment are to have oil level checked with the dipstick inserted but not screwed down.
for example:
My Honda CT90
"check the level with the oil filler cap dipstick without screwing it in"
My Gravely zero turn mower
"Do not thread the cap into the tube"

Rolling Wrench Denver says the same for GY6 scooter motors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtxZ7Bme-Xc
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The Piaggio Group scoot's are the only scoot's I've experienced that require screwing in to measure oil level with the dipstick.
All other engines have simply required putting the dipstick in the hole. They provide a flat on the engine threads and dipstick threads to provide an accurate measurement.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
scoop43

Post by scoop43 »

Well, thank you all for the input. I did asked my dealer, Ryan, the owner of Seattle Cycle Center, an authorized Genuine Buddy Dealer, and he said just poke the dipstick in, don't screw it in to check. Now, just yesterday, I did it both ways, and I found the oil was on the dipstick hash marks in both cases, and there was only abut a 1/4 inch difference. So after all the discussion, I think the "poke in" method is the way to go.
tenders

Post by tenders »

Robot at Scooterwest checks Vespa oil levels in his videos without screwing down the dipstick.

I was trained in the Navy that the proper level for maintenance is at the FULL mark, not halfway, so it is apparent as early as possible if oil is being lost or burned.

So that is what I do. The dipstick when first unscrewed is slightly over the full mark if all is well.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The Vespa and Piaggio manuals both state that the dipsticks must be screwed in. Can't believe Robot is incorrect! He's a god!
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

GregsBuddy wrote:The Vespa and Piaggio manuals both state that the dipsticks must be screwed in. Can't believe Robot is incorrect! He's a god!
I mean- if you know where the oil level should BE on the dipstick when it's not screwed in AND when it's screwed in, then I think both methods are correct.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Yes, either will work if you know where the level should be.
Speaking of checking oil, my 170i uses no measurable oil between changes. These engines are of a good design, materials and assembly. At 14K miles, this engine is as tight as any Japanese scoot' engine I've experienced.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Ack! I'm a bad scooter parent. I just checked the oil in my Buddy and with the dipstick screwed all the way in the level was...zilch. Didn't even make it to the bottom of the stick. I'm a bad boy. I thought the engine was sounding a little ratty. Sigh. Filled it with some 10-40 and a little STP oil treatment until I have the time to do a proper oil change. Losing a lot of oil between changes though. Might be time for some top end work soon.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.