Oil Change interval question

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Oil Change interval question

Post by ucandoit »

I change my oil and filter just once a year, in spring when I take the scooter out of winter storage. I ride for about 6 months, putting on roughly 1100-1200 miles, before putting it back in winter storage (long winters here). Have been using a conventional oil, Yamalube, made for scooters and motorcycles. Do you think I'm going too long between oil changes and maybe should switch to a synthetic as I prefer to change the oil just once/year? If so, what synthetic brand do you like and use? Thanks for any input.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Just my opinion but I think once a year is enough. Based on that I've read that a few times for motorcycles. I change mine once a year. Since the engine oil isn't getting thinned out by a gearbox like a motorcycle maybe longer is fine. Used oil slowly breaks down or oxidizes over time. Lots of opinions on the best synthetic. I like Redline because it's the only 10-40 I've found that has friction modifiers so may as well use it. Thinking long term wear down the road. It gets over 100 here every summer.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X