Genuine Buddy 125 headlamp problem.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

John Flushing

Genuine Buddy 125 headlamp problem.

Post by John Flushing »

Dear internet forum users:

First of all, I am sorry to bother all of you, but I am being forced against my wishes to do so, due to extenuating circumstance. These are the facts:

1) My 2009 Genuine Buddy 125 has a low beam head lamp which died recently. The high beam head lamp is still alive.

2) The automotive shoppe mechanic says to buy a new bulb over the internet.

3) I came across the following listing on the internet.
The HS1 12V 35//35W halogen bulb is the most common scooter headlight bulb. It is the replacement for many scooters, including the following...

Genuine Buddy 50, 125 & 150 for model years 2007 and newer
Genuine Stella for model years 2007 and newer
Genune Rattler (all model years)
Kymco People 50 & 150 (all model years)
Bajaj Chetak (all model years)
SYM Mio (all model years)
SYM SYMBA (all model years)
SYM Fiddle (all engine sizes and model years)
Vespa ET2 & ET4 (all model years)
Vespa PX150
Yamaha Vino 50 2T 2001-2005

It actually fits too many scooter to list all of them here. See our photographs if there is any question.
Link.

4) My question is, have I found the bulb I need? The internet site does not tell me if this is the high beam bulb or the low beam bulb.

5) I thank you all in advance, and again, I'm so sorry.
youkiddin

Post by youkiddin »

if the hs-1 is the right bulb for your bike it has both high and low filaments 35 watt low /35 watt high . the low is the one that fails most because it gets used the most.
EricV

Post by EricV »

The HS1 is the correct bulb for your Buddy 125. And it's not common to find in auto parts stores.

No scooter shops near me, so I had to internet order one. In the waiting time, I discovered that a standard H4 auto bulb is a direct plug in, but requires modification of two small metal tabs to allow it to seat flush. Its commonly a 55 watt bulb, a bit more than the HS1 35 watt, but has been in for 4k miles w/o issue or any signs of overheating, so I've left it in place. A bit more light.

Note that the HS1 and H4(also known as 9003 or HB2), are dual filament bulbs. So one bulb does high and low beam. This is why it has three pins on the bulb. Ground, high beam and low beam.

Use care when removing the headlight to change the bulb. The plastic side pins on the headlight housing are notorious for breaking easily.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Here's a couple of low cost options. Don't touch the bulb with your bare fingers:

https://www.ebay.com/p/Halogen-Hs1-35-3 ... opts=opick

https://www.ebay.com/p/Halogen-Hs1-35-3 ... opts=opick
EricV

Post by EricV »

DeeDee wrote: Don't touch the bulb with your bare fingers
And if you do, clean it with alcohol before installing. The oil from our fingers will cause the bulb to burn out quickly.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

EricV wrote:Use care when removing the headlight to change the bulb. The plastic side pins on the headlight housing are notorious for breaking easily.
This thread documents in agonizing detail why you don't want to mess up those pins that hold the headlight in place. :cry:
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong because I have a 170, but I just replaced my headlight and I never touched the headlight reflector housing or those pins.

The bulb is held in by a thick piece of wire. All you do is unplug the light, move the wire out of the way and grasp the bulb by the prongs and pull it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51a_gLnHwd0
EricV

Post by EricV »

mukaiboston wrote:Someone can correct me if I'm wrong because I have a 170, but I just replaced my headlight and I never touched the headlight reflector housing or those pins.

The bulb is held in by a thick piece of wire. All you do is unplug the light, move the wire out of the way and grasp the bulb by the prongs and pull it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51a_gLnHwd0
That video reminds me of the repair manuals that showed how to remove the heater core from a '70 MGB. Just unbolt these three bolts and remove the hoses. Showing a picture of the car with the entire dash already removed. :lol: Yes, I'm old. I fixed things before the internet existed.

My plastic pins were already broken by the PO, so I had to so some repairs.