2012 Genuine Lil international Buddy 50 sway to 150cc gy6

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Baja Buddy

2012 Genuine Lil international Buddy 50 sway to 150cc gy6

Post by Baja Buddy »

I want to add a GY6 150cc to my Lil Intl Buddy 50

I need to figure out how to mount the motor.
Get same size front rim as the back
Install better brakes
Tune for long distance 100 miles a day sometimes. Mostly 60 daily.

This is a scooter I’ve owned for 8 years and I want to fix it back up and give it to my fiancé as a wedding gift. She knows how much this bike means to me.

I’ll fill in where needed and will provide photos and specs as needed.

Please help me make something that will turn heads like she does lol
Attachments
3B8A4964-1F47-45A6-9BD8-64FFCC7F01CD.jpeg
3B8A4964-1F47-45A6-9BD8-64FFCC7F01CD.jpeg (33.35 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
EA803D33-3310-4BCA-AEEB-091941D6F0BB.jpeg
EA803D33-3310-4BCA-AEEB-091941D6F0BB.jpeg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
After 8 years of tinkering.
After 8 years of tinkering.
8B9F9B88-8C46-4D0F-A8DD-0F0E526E0C6D.jpeg (35.76 KiB) Viewed 2079 times
Baja Buddy

Post by Baja Buddy »

I may be open to adding a 150cc or higher of genuine if it fits super easy XD
Baja Buddy

Post by Baja Buddy »

I may be open to adding a 150cc or higher of genuine if it fits super easy XD
vintagegarage

Post by vintagegarage »

First thing you want for your financed is something safe and reliable. What you want to build won't be as good at both of those requirements as a stock Buddy 125 or Buddy 150. If you were building it for yourself, you could build some sort of experimental GY6 150 bike that constantly needs tuning and repairs. The performance of the Buddy 125 and the Buddy 150 is close enough to each other that either will do for your needs. Buy a Buddy 125 or Buddy 150 with busted up plastics and put your Buddy 50 Brit International plastics on that Buddy 125 or 150, and you will be good to go. Then sell your Buddy 50 remains for what you paid for the shabby 125/150 and your net cost will be low.

Same size front rim as the back
Better brakes
Already tuned for long distance 100 miles a day sometimes. Mostly 60 daily.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Sell it, buy a buddy 125, pat yourself on the back for having one of the most reliable, affordable scooters with awesome power to weight.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I cant get both in the same room to see, but I do service work on a Buddy 50 and in another city Im helping someone get a Buddy 150 motor running thats out of the scooter. But in the end, just buy a Buddy 125. Used they can be had for a good price and the larger brakes will be able to handle the larger motor safely. Or, get a 70cc bbk for the Buddy 50. Just dont waste the time swapping a reliable 2 stroke motor for a GY6 thats going to require excess modding to work.
Baja Buddy

Post by Baja Buddy »

I don’t want to buy a new bike.
I have the new 150cc 4-stroke already prepped and painted. I’m just really trying to figure out if either a higher cc genuine motor will fit or if there are kits for the buddy to slap on a gy6.

This is a project for myself and a gift for my fiancé.

Outside of figuring out how to mount the motor I’ll maybe spend $150 on other upgrades because I have a donor bike
Baja Buddy

Post by Baja Buddy »

I would also like to add that I know for a fact the genuine uses the same frame up to 150cc. I saw on rolling wrench some leads but I figured there would be someone on the forum that could help me make easy work of this project.

I’ve never seen a Buddy like mine so far and my goal is to make it not only a gorgeous one off but something that really is safer for where me and her will be riding.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Baja Buddy wrote:I don’t want to buy a new bike.
I have the new 150cc 4-stroke already prepped and painted. I’m just really trying to figure out if either a higher cc genuine motor will fit or if there are kits for the buddy to slap on a gy6.

This is a project for myself and a gift for my fiancé.

Outside of figuring out how to mount the motor I’ll maybe spend $150 on other upgrades because I have a donor bike
There are no kits to add a GY6 to a Buddy if you are lucky it will bolt right up, otherwise you will have to custom fabricate a mount. Buddy scooters are similar to GY6 scooters, there are parts that are the exact same but a lot of Buddy parts are a slightly different size. So the parts from your donor bike might not fit.

So you might need to buy a new fork to fit the 3.5 inch tire. A new front rim and tire. A new brake caliper and rotor. Plus, a new front fender and possibly the fender mount. If you buy new this is going to cost ~$400-$500+.

You will also have to check if voltage regulator on the Buddy 50 can handle the power the stator on the 150 puts out. You will need a new larger battery. Plus, you should also buy a matching tire for the back wheel.

So can you put a gy6 in a Buddy? Yes. But in the end you are going to have a lot of time and money into a scooter that has a generic GY6 motor that might not even last 3,000 miles.

Really the only way to do it for a decent price is to find a Buddy 125 for cheap that runs and has a good fork, front wheel and brake.

In all my years on this forum I don't remember anyone swapping their 50cc for a larger motor. Lots of people have asked about doing it but give up once they see all the work and money that it will take.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

It's not like swapping a big block chevy for a small block in your 1970's Chevelle. The Chevelle frame was designed to accept both.
-Your 50cc scooter is designed only for that 50cc engine.
There are some small bikes designed to accept 50cc and 125cc engines, like the Sachs Madacc.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

It's not going to work. The buddy 50 has a different hanger bracket entirely, so you'd need to cut that off first to have a chance.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

scootERIK wrote:There are no kits to add a GY6 to a Buddy. If you are lucky it will bolt right up, otherwise you will have to custom fabricate a mount.
There are no "ifs" about it. Baja Buddy is not lucky. The mounting points of the 2T Buddy 50 engine and the 125/150/170 4T Buddy engine are different. It is not drop in and drive to add a 4T engine to the Buddy 50. If he is determined, he will have to fabricate new support brackets and modify the frame accordingly. Not impossible, but it comes down to how badly he wants to do it.