Checking the oil on a Buddy 50

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

rmhabeck

Post by rmhabeck »

With no dip stick how does one check the oil on a Buddy 50?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Buddy 50 is a 2-stroke. It has no oil filled crankcase. Are you asking about the oil injection tank? Look in the filler cap under the seat and/or pay attention to the low oil light on the dash.
rmhabeck

Post by rmhabeck »

Thanks ..its injection so I was told put some oil in every 100 miles or so....don't wait for the light to come on because it maybe too late and if the light does go on make sure you have some oil with you....seems pretty hit or miss.....anyone else have any guidelines? Thanks again
tenders

Post by tenders »

That’s unnecessarily often. The oil in that tank will last for several hundred miles and the light goes on with plenty of reserve oil left, at least 100 miles. Personally I don’t think it’s even necessary to carry extra oil on the scoot unless you’re on a really long road trip.

There is gear oil in the transmission near the left rear axle. That’s supposed to be changed every 3600 miles (after the first change at 200 miles) by draining and replacing with 90cc of fresh SAE85-140 weight oil. This is an easy 15-minute job but as I recall the fill cap does not have a dipstick. I use a large oil syringe for this with clear measurements on the side that I bought at a WalMart.