"Easy" LED headlight swap?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

coolrays

"Easy" LED headlight swap?

Post by coolrays »

I did a little searching and saw babblefish's thread on an LED headlight swap here:
http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32043

I'd love to swap out my main headlight for an LED headlight, and I was wondering if this is the easiest method, or if anyone has any other Amazon links to something easier.

For reference, here's the headlight babblefish also posted:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KT ... =UTF8&th=1

Super new to this and I'm not super technically inclined, so the simpler the better.

Thanks in advance!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

There's no easier that I know of. Most LED conversions have a big aluminum heatsink and cooling fan mounted on the back end of the LED lamp. The problem with the Buddy is that there is almost no room between the bottom of the instrument cluster and the top of the headlight socket so these types of conversions don't fit. The braided heatsink on the LED I used requires no vertical room so it fits and is very bright while not taxing the weak charging circuit of the Buddy.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Just google or search Amazon for “daymaker headlight�, they run about $40 and replace the bulb and reflector in your headlight bucket with a focused LED unit. If you have a 5.75� or 7� shell it’s the best and possibly cheapest solution. I tried several LED bulbs and couldn’t get a decent beam pattern due to the different location of the diodes compared to the filament of the OEM bulb. Sure the replacement LED lamps were brighter, but the actual light thrown on the road was less than the incandescent bulbs.
coolrays

Post by coolrays »

babblefish wrote:There's no easier that I know of. Most LED conversions have a big aluminum heatsink and cooling fan mounted on the back end of the LED lamp. The problem with the Buddy is that there is almost no room between the bottom of the instrument cluster and the top of the headlight socket so these types of conversions don't fit. The braided heatsink on the LED I used requires no vertical room so it fits and is very bright while not taxing the weak charging circuit of the Buddy.
Thanks, babblefish. I figured as much. I'm probably just going to go with your method and tackle it when I do the LED 'daytime running lights'. Thanks for the reply!