hello.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

x-mojito50mod

hello.

Post by x-mojito50mod »

Been lurking a bit since this scooter came to the market, and kinda dug the reviews I had been reading about the Buddy. I've been riding an Aprilia Mojito Retro 50, kitted, and fun as hell to ride. But, as my only ride (10,000 miles in 2 years), and residing in L.A., where the average speed on surface streets is 45-55mph, I was always riding her WFO...not good...for now, she's going to pasture (catastrophic engine/transmission failure). So, I'm planning a road trip to get a Buddy tomorrow, and I come from the land of two-strokes. What should I expect (besides the obvious increase in power and reliability) with the 4T? Easier maintainance? I'm used to changing rollers and stuff quite often because of the hi-reving 50. Also, how are the front shocks...I'm used to the anti-diving double sided type, with a 12" wheel in front and 10" in back (tracks corners really well). Sorry about the long winded first post, just wanted to make sure I was making a good, reliable choice. Any and all replys welcome.
-Matt

BTW, this is where I'm coming from...
Image :(
Elm Creek Smith

Post by Elm Creek Smith »

Welcome. I think you'll like the smoothness of the Buddy and the torque. This puppy is nimble, too.

I recommend the black!

ECS
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

Well, I came home with a new Buddy last night...got the pearl color. I tested it and a Kymco People 150, and though the Kymco felt more stable at speed and over bumps, I didn't like the motorcycle-like lack of turning radius because of the big wheels, and how "top heavy" it felt at slow speeds. The Buddy felt like a scooter...nimble and peppy and turns on a dime. I swear it's a little quicker off the line than the People too. I also like the fact that it's about the same size & weight as the Mojito I was riding. I like loud, and the Buddy's pipe (in comparison) is pretty loud :D , another plus. The cons...what's up with the design of the floorboard? I feel like I need to mount some footpegs or something. I guess I'll get used to it! I choose the pearl color because, IMO, the plastic didn't look as "cheap"...I just wish all scooter companies would learn to invest the little extra and use ABS, not injection-molded plastic for the body. It's so much more durable, and has a much nicer finish. Overall, I'm pleased, and for the price, I think it's the most fun!

As a side note, I have also ridden Vespa ET4, Kymco Super 9, Honda Big Ruckus, and a couple scary Chinese whatevers, and I like the Buddy...still wish I could transplant the engine into the Mojito though!

-M@
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

x-mojito50mod wrote:Well, I came home with a new Buddy last night...got the pearl color. I tested it and a Kymco People 150, and though the Kymco felt more stable at speed and over bumps, I didn't like the motorcycle-like lack of turning radius because of the big wheels, and how "top heavy" it felt at slow speeds. The Buddy felt like a scooter...nimble and peppy and turns on a dime. I swear it's a little quicker off the line than the People too. I also like the fact that it's about the same size & weight as the Mojito I was riding. I like loud, and the Buddy's pipe (in comparison) is pretty loud :D , another plus. The cons...what's up with the design of the floorboard? I feel like I need to mount some footpegs or something. I guess I'll get used to it! I choose the pearl color because, IMO, the plastic didn't look as "cheap"...I just wish all scooter companies would learn to invest the little extra and use ABS, not injection-molded plastic for the body. It's so much more durable, and has a much nicer finish. Overall, I'm pleased, and for the price, I think it's the most fun!

As a side note, I have also ridden Vespa ET4, Kymco Super 9, Honda Big Ruckus, and a couple scary Chinese whatevers, and I like the Buddy...still wish I could transplant the engine into the Mojito though!

-M@
About a month ago, I went through pretty much exactly what you just went through. I too had a fully modified Mojito 50 that was a blast to ride. I sunk a lot of money into that little scoot but it kept coming back for more. So, after my Touring exhaust system gave out, I thought long and hard about whether or not to put more money into the Aprilia or try to find something newer and more powerful. I test rode pretty much everything in the 125-150 range and I had already tested the 200's and above when I was motorcycle shopping in the summer. I quickly came to the conclusion that the Buddy was the best bang for the buck and took the plunge. While my wife was very surprised, I haven't regretted my decision for a second. I'm a little disturbed by Keys' service experience but I'm hoping Genuine gets its act together soon.

As far as the footboards go, I hear you and feel the same way. I have small feet but the foot space on the floor is still...odd. So, I started riding with my feet on the silver passenger "pegs" and I'm finding that I like it a lot. Almost like rearsets on a sport bike. Probably not comfortable for long hauls but my commutes are short, so it's great. Give it a try.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
Motorsport Scooters
Dealer

Post by Motorsport Scooters »

Congrats buddy! Hope everything goes great for you!
Max
Vespa Motorsport
619-280-1718
http://www.scooterwest.com/
#1 source for all things Vespa
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Congrats... I think you'll be very pleased. :D
Huh? What just happened?
x-mojito50mod

Post by x-mojito50mod »

Thanks Max...it was the most "painless" vehicle purchase ever...sorry about all the paperwork!
-M@