I made a N00b mistake...

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GenuineSlacker

I made a N00b mistake...

Post by GenuineSlacker »

Let me start first by saying that I HAVE fixed it. Earlier today, after I finished the weekly washing of my buddy, I decided to have a look under the cover for a solution to the light kill switch. I pop it off and the first thing I notice is a brown black wire not connected to anything hanging of to the left (perspectively) of the central cluster. Nearby, a pair of wires are connected, one of which is solid blue and only runs a little further down to just above the wheel (you'll know it when you see it.) Well, my first instinct, and a wrong one, is that I'll just switch em. So after a little pulling, I twisted and they came apart easily, plugged the male end of the blue wire into the female brown black and fired up my scooter.

Everything was good for the first 15 seconds or so. Then, the back wheel started spinning VERY quickly. I was still able to stop it with the brake, no problem, and I didn't see the harm in checking the rest of my electrical. Horn, turn signals, both headlights worked fine, the light kill switch still didn't. Kill switch was the last and worked as it was supposed to. I switched the wires back, hoping this would fix the wheel issue. I fired her back up, and it was the same situation.

I started to freak out and figured I'd at least see how fast it was spinning at least, and took it out around the neighborhood. Without braking I could keep the scoot under me but it was really fighting. I gave it a little throttle, and it climber to 20 and I let off completely. It stayed at 10 mph by itself. Testing it a little more I made a few turns and kept it under 20, then about halfway it just suddenly gave all go. It was back to normal, and I know I didn't do anything special. Got it home and cooled it off, then I fired it back up and let it run for a bit, wheel was fine. Really weird but I'm glad it's fixed. Anyone know what I did?
"Angels who are forced from heaven have no choice but to become demons." - Vicious
pesqueeb

Post by pesqueeb »

Electric choke maybe?
Take off the tin foil hat and let the voices drive for a minute. It'll be fine.