My buddy let me down!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

zekeo

My buddy let me down!

Post by zekeo »

Hi all, I'm a new owner of a used 2006 125 buddy (about a month now). I've been having a great time zipping around. Today I was scheduled to take my motorcycle driving test. I set off early--it took a few seconds to turn over, but seemed fine. When crossing the 520 bridge (50 mph speed limit) I had major problems. I'd done it before and kept up fine. Over about 40 mph or about 2/3 throttle I suddenly lost all power. The engine just sputtered. I had to keep it at half throttle or so to maintian even 40 mph.

I made it to the area of the test, but stopped at a gas station to take a little break (I still had 20 min or so). The buddy wouldn't start. There was even a mechanic at the station--he messed around a little and couldn't get it started either.

I had to get it towed (thankfully I had insurance for that) to the dealer in town. Hopefully it's an easy fix, but I missed my test. Bummer.

Anyway, thanks for this great forum, and I'm sorry that my first post is bad news.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

that is truly a bummer, zekeo. sorry to hear about your distress, but rest assured the team at ducati are all terrific. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
bobcat20

Post by bobcat20 »

when you find out what went wrong, please post!!! sorry to hear about your fortune.
"I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve, I have a history of losing my shirt." - BNL
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

bobcat20 wrote:when you find out what went wrong, please post!!! sorry to hear about your fortune.
+1
Keys

Post by Keys »

Have your mechanic check wire continuity. Mine had what sounds to be the same issues. It took me nearly 2 months to find the source of the problems. My dealer couldn't even find it.

It seems the seat bucket bouncing up and down smashes the wires inside the wiring loom where they sit on top of the frame.

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

Thanks for the imput, Keys. I read the whole thread when you were describing the quest to find that problem. I'm trying to understand why a pinched or broken wire would only show up above 40 mph...I wasn't having any problems below that. Any insight?

edit: I just reread that "bad stator" thread again and I'm pretty convinced I'm having exactly the same trouble as others. Any advice on how to talk to the dealer about it? Most mechanics aren't too happy about advice from civilians. Somehow I think "but I read it on an online forum" isn't going to be convincing.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Maybe you sit heavier over 40 mph...

--Keys
"Life without music would Bb"
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

zekeo wrote:Most mechanics aren't too happy about advice from civilians. Somehow I think "but I read it on an online forum" isn't going to be convincing.
one of the guys from ducati seattle posts here. and i've used the line about reading about something on modern buddy before at ducati. in fact, the owner is the one who turned me onto this site. ;)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

Maybe you sit heavier over 40 mph...
I don't think this is it--I was on the highway and sitting very still. As soon as I upped the throttle to about 3/4 it would sputter and die, and as soon as I let it off to 1/2 it would run fine with no hesitation. I went back and forth a number of times until I found the maximum throttle I could maintain without it losing power. This issue seemed completely independent of bumps, where I was sitting, or anything else but throttle.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I think civilian comments do confuse the technicians working; but they need to know the symptoms – that said it sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem.
ysofisonly50?

Post by ysofisonly50? »

rajron wrote: it sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem.
i concur. proly a leak in the intake manifold or loose screws thereabouts and/or carburator.
side note: battery terminal connections on 1cyl motors are prone to loosening thereby rendering vehicle inoperable.
(wow. don't i sound profeshunel) :P
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

Well, I said I'd give an update so here it is: It's been three weeks and the dealer still hasn't gotten to it! I keep calling, and they keep saying a few more days, and then 4 or 5 days passes without a call, and the cycle repeats itself. As far as I know they haven't even diagnosed the problem yet!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

three weeks and not even a word? Sorry to hear that... I hope you're up and running SOON!
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

I was one of the few with a bad stator but luckily my mechanic diagnosed it quickly and I had it back in less then 2 weeks. 3 weeks with no information is pretty crappy. Is Ducati of Seattle the name of you dealer? We could get everyone on the forum to email them asking them to please fix your bike...
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

Well I spoke to the dealer--they were super nice. They've checked all the wiring, cleaned the carb and some other stuff but the probem persists. They're contacting Genuine to figure out next steps...
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

Well... It's April 17. I brought the scooter into the dealer on March 1. I talked to them on the phone yesterday, and they're still doing tests--so far the tests have been inconclusive.

I'll let you all know the end result as soon as I can, but for now I'm going on 7 weeks without the buddy!
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Zekeo,
I think you should either try to see if you can get a new one to replace the one you have or at a minimum a demo until you get yours back.

7 weeks is a bit much, specially considering they still have no idea what is wrong with it.
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

ysofisonly50? wrote:
rajron wrote: it sounds like you have a fuel delivery problem.
i concur. proly a leak in the intake manifold or loose screws thereabouts and/or carburator.
side note: battery terminal connections on 1cyl motors are prone to loosening thereby rendering vehicle inoperable.
(wow. don't i sound profeshunel) :P
Inside tip; take out your insert seat storage. You'll find your engine. On the top in the center you'll see the top of the carb. Two screws to take out the cover to the carb.

You'll find a black rubber gasket, a spring and a pin. Take them out.

Get some spray carb cleaner and spray the inside of the carb generously. There is no such thing as doing this too much. You can buy a can of carb cleaner at any auto parts store.

Take a clean rag and clean the top of the carb where the gasket seats into. Do this thoroughly. If you don't, the gasket will not fit properly. The chemical in the cleaner will misshape the gasket and make it difficult to seat properly.

Insert pin, spring, and gasket, make sure the rubber gasket fits into the grooves and the pin is set into the carb at it's lowest point. Attach the top of the cover with the two screws, put your storage unit back in, close the seat and start it up.

You've just done a Buddy 125 carb cleaning. You also saved yourself about $85.00. If your Bud won't start in the spring, it's because your gas sucks and the carb needs this procedure.

This may not be the answer to your specific problem, but it's good mojo for all Buddy riders.
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

Thanks for the info on carb cleaning--this was one of the first things that the dealer did to no avail. I'm still hoping to hear back in the next day or so.
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

Good news! They figured out that it was the fuel valve and have a new one on order. If all goes well I could be back on the buddy by the end of next week--"only" two months from when I got it towed to the dealer.
lawnmowerman

Post by lawnmowerman »

What fuel valve? Iv had a very similar problem. Moving at high speeds, my Buddy will experience a sudden loss of power. I took it to the dealer and they contacted Genuine who told them that it was a fuel valve and that all it needed was to be blown out with compressed air. This however did not fix the problem. I want to know what fuel valve they were talking about.
lou76

Post by lou76 »

for anyone experiencing this type of problem, check the plug wire, too... the screw on the plug boot on my buddy stripped... took me 2 weeks to figure it out... bought a used plug boot at a motorcyle junkyard, and have had not a problem since...
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

THAT SUCKS THAT IT TOOK SO FREAKIN LONG... WHAT A WASTE OF 2 MONTHS. DID THEY GIVE YOU A RENTAL? LOL
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Guys/gals, we're talkin' a used 2006 scoot here. You don't get a "new one", a demo, or a free rental from the dealer during a repair. Glad you're back on the road zekeo. Just in time for the good riding weather!
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

You might think it's strange that I'm bring back this old thread, but there's a good reason: It was just yesterday that I finally got my scooter back in working order, almost exactly 5 months after I brought it to the shop.

About two months ago, they called me up and said it was ready, but within the first half hour of riding it was clear that the problem wasn't solved. Back to the shop (stalling on the way, I had to wheel it down the sidewalk the last few blocks).

They ended up stripping a totaled buddy for its entire electrical system. So, among other things, they cleaned the carb, put in a new fuel valve, replaced the stator, the wiring loom, the rest of the electrical system. They said it was the most complicated confusing scooter they ever worked on.

There's two pieces of good news: one, they covered the entire thing under waranty (I bought the scooter used), and it's running like a dream!

Part of me wants to just sell it at this point because it's been so much of a headache, but then again it sure is fun...

From taking a quick look around this forum (I haven't been around much because I haven't wanted to even think about scootering when mine was locked away in the shop), it seems like lots of people are having long, long waits. I think I might have the record, though. Anyone care to correct me?
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

You didn't mention in your first post if you bought the scooter from a private owner or dealer. That is fantastic that they covered it under warranty. That's great news. Hope your Bud is repaired for the long haul and you continue to have fun.

I have had to wait for weeks before a scooter was even looked at during the summer months. That's why I started doing my own service. So many scooters/motorcycles, so few mechanics, not to mention all those parts that aren't in stock and have to be ordered. :x
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

I bought it from a private owner...
kmetta

Post by kmetta »

Brought my Bud to the shop on June 18th.
And i wait.

soon though.. i hope.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

zekeo, do you know what (exactly) the problem was? And what was going on all 5 of those months? Were you waiting on parts? On the dealer? Or…?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

The truth is I don't know what took so long. I think a lot of it was that the shop was just super busy. Also, at times they thought they fixed it only to bring it up to speed and have the problem show up again. At one point they were waiting on a fuel valve. During the last few months I think they didn't know what to do, and only really started tearing it apart when they had a totaled buddy to pull parts from.

They never figured out exactly what was wrong--they described it as the "shotgun" method of just keeping replacing things until it worked.

I didn't want to ask to many questions as they were kind enough to cover it under waranty. From all the time they spent and all the different things they did, I imagine the cost would have been close to buying a new scooter if I had to pay for it all.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I guess in a way you're lucky. I mean, you bought a used scoot with a mysterious problem and you'd have been stuck paying a lot out of pocket or being stuck with a lemon… But 5 months!?! Wow.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
enzomatic

Post by enzomatic »

didn't know that the warranty covered used scoots, I bought mine second hand from a private seller, was told that the warranty was non-transferable. I guess I just need to haul it up to seattle. Also someone needs to make the carb cleaning a picture tutorial.
Looking for ppl to ride with in LA.
brape

Post by brape »

Did you get it used from a dealer? I'm surprised about the warranty as well.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

enzomatic wrote:didn't know that the warranty covered used scoots, I bought mine second hand from a private seller, was told that the warranty was non-transferable. I guess I just need to haul it up to seattle. Also someone needs to make the carb cleaning a picture tutorial.
Technically, the warranty doesn't transfer. It's up to the dealer to submit the claim and to Genuine (who may or may not know it was bought used) to approve it, though. Certainly, no one should buy a used Genuine scooter expecting that the warranty will carry over.
brape wrote:Did you get it used from a dealer? I'm surprised about the warranty as well.
zekeo wrote:I bought it from a private owner...
zekeo

Post by zekeo »

I was thinking about this whole warranty transfer issue, and I can't see how genuine would know whether the current owner was the original owner. They would have to track each scooter by vin and do public records searches in all 50 states to see when they were sold. This seems too cumbersome to be practical.

My 2 cents is that genuine should just make the warranty officially transferable, and clear up all the confusion. If they want to stand behind their scooters for 2 years, they should do it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Well, they can't really know and don't have the resources to track every scooter sold against 50 state databases. What they can do, if a questionable claim is presented, is ask to see a bill of sale or some other documentation that would show the rider is the original owner.

The policy is more one of covering their asses and keeping them from having to honor warranties for scooters with unknown histories. It allows them to deny a claim on this basis should something hinky come up. i know that the company has honored a lot of claims that by all rights could or should have been denied for various reasons. (You'd be surprised at how many people don't read their warranty cards or just try to "get away" with making a bad claim by complaining a lot and causing a ruckus.) This is something that shouldn't be taken for granted, because with so many Genuines on the road now, they may have to become more stringent in enforcing the policies.