Head Light Issue

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

aurelia

Head Light Issue

Post by aurelia »

The light of the headlight of by scooter is not spreading enough to see the road. I replace the headlight bulb two weeks ago. Since then, the problem emerged.
tenders

Post by tenders »

A less-than-ideal replacement bulb perhaps?

This has been covered exhaustively - here's one example.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32043
Alzero

Post by Alzero »

Did you replace the bulb with an LED? Is so, that’s your problem: the bulb and the reflector are not compatible. An incandescent bulb throws light in 360 degrees and the reflector is designed to collect that, focus it and project it in a beam onto the road. If you used an LED, the diodes often are only on one side, not all the way around the bulb or not on the very tip of the bulb. They may also be farther away from the reflector than on the correct incandescent bulb which also changes the beam pattern.

The best solution is to buy a “daymaker� LED replacement that swaps out your entire reflector and bulb assembly for an integrated unit. This is what Harley-Davidson used on their big bikes. You can find Daymaker lights on Amazon for around $40.
smtncruzer

Post by smtncruzer »

Alzero wrote: The best solution is to buy a “daymaker� LED replacement that swaps out your entire reflector and bulb assembly for an integrated unit. This is what Harley-Davidson used on their big bikes. You can find Daymaker lights on Amazon for around $40.
Do you have a link for a daymaker? I'm super new to all of this and I'm wanting to swap out my lights for LED's and it seems more complicated that just swapping out the bulbs.
tenders

Post by tenders »

As was discussed on another thread in which he posted this advice, none exists for the Buddy-shaped headlight. Alzero didn’t install his on a Buddy.
smtncruzer

Post by smtncruzer »

Ahh, that makes way more sense. I did a little googling and found nothing for the buddy. Thanks for chiming in :)
loganx4

Post by loganx4 »

I went with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KT ... UTF8&psc=1
I am happy with the results, they aren't perfect but if you are going all LED it is the best for the Buddy 125 2015.