Any NZ Buddy riders here?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

C2

Any NZ Buddy riders here?

Post by C2 »

Hey there,

I'm a California based Buddy owner who is looking to move to NZ (South Island) with my Kiwi wife. Just looking for info about any import issues I should be aware of if I try to bring my 2009 Buddy 125 with me to NZ. Its up-to-date, clear title, and runs (4 stroke) with added running light (the old BOB dead-light adapter).

Any info you can throw my way would help.

Cheers,
Christopher
eggsalad

Post by eggsalad »

I'm pretty new here, but isn't the Buddy only sold in the US?
tenders

Post by tenders »

I have no idea if NZ is as strict about vehicle imports as the US is, but bringing in an unapproved vehicle into the US is virtually impossible unless the vehicle is at least 20 years old.

And "unapproved" means the specific vehicle model.

This is why there are almost no Piaggio Apes here.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

eggsalad wrote:I'm pretty new here, but isn't the Buddy only sold in the US?
That is literally true as the Buddy name belongs to Genuine Scooters which is the US importer. The manufacturer is PGO in Taiwan and they sell that model under several names in various other markets. I believe it is marketed in Australia and New Zealand as the Ligero.
personality

Post by personality »

New Zealand is pretty loose about vehicle imports because they don't have any domestic manufacturers to protect. They are like the main recipient of used Japanese market cars.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotiv ... e_vehicles