Sticky Brake Lever on Buddy 125

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lavish_Squalor

Sticky Brake Lever on Buddy 125

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

My right brake lever has become "sticky" and hard to engage. I'll meet with resistance about half way after squeezing it and then it will suddenly engage . . . hard. I'm afraid that if it were raining my wheel might lock up.

I'm so irritated because just last week I had my engine and gear oil changed, my belt and variators replaced, and put two new Continental Zippy tires on. It was sticking a little at the time but I forgot to mention it to the mechanic and now it's gotten much worse.

Is there an easy DIY fix for this? I despise the thought of going back to the shop but will if need me.

Thanks!
fried okra

Post by fried okra »

How old, like what model year scooter is this?

fried okra
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

It's a 2009 and has just under 16,000 miles on it.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

By "right brake", you mean the front brake.

Have you checked the fluid level? You might be able to see in without removing the top of the headset.
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

That would probably be a stretch for me. I have to confess I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. I teach at the University of Central Florida in Orlando and use my Buddy to get to the various buildings on campus. Parking is a nightmare at UCF even for faculty. I generally drive to work and then scoot in between the buildings where I have classes. The campus is closed due to COVID-19 so I brought my bike home.

I'll squirt some WD-40 in there and hope for the best. If it doesn't help I'll get it back to the shop.

Thanks for your input.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You have an 11 year old scooter. If the original fluid is still in there, it is rusting from the inside out. Doubtful you are on the original pads. You need to check your pads, pull your headset and check the color and level of your fluid. It should be the color of clean vegetable oil. If it is any darker than that, you should flush and bleed the system.
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

I'm pretty religious about getting oil changes and service. I have my oil changed every fifteen hundred miles and my gear oil changed every three thousand. The guys in the shop I go to are always telling me my scooter will last forever because I take such good care of it.

I would think that they'd do any necessary preventative maintenance but I honestly couldn't answer your question about the brake pads/fluid. For service, I drop it off with them and then pick it up the next day.

I used some WD-40 on the brake lever though and it completely and totally resolved the stickiness. The lever is as smooth as can be.

I'll give the shop a call tomorrow and ask them about the brake pads and fluid. Thank you all for your input. I'm very grateful!
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

Lavish_Squalor wrote:I'm pretty religious about getting oil changes and service. I have my oil changed every fifteen hundred miles and my gear oil changed every three thousand. The guys in the shop I go to are always telling me my scooter will last forever because I take such good care of it.

I would think that they'd do any necessary preventative maintenance but I honestly couldn't answer your question about the brake pads/fluid. For service, I drop it off with them and then pick it up the next day.

I used some WD-40 on the brake lever though and it completely and totally resolved the stickiness. The lever is as smooth as can be.

I'll give the shop a call tomorrow and ask them about the brake pads and fluid. Thank you all for your input. I'm very grateful!

Glad it freed up.

If you bike is 11 years old, it's time for a front brake service. It's not critical but sometime check it out.
Lavish_Squalor

Post by Lavish_Squalor »

Will do.

Thanks again.