Fuse issue or battery issue?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Point37

Fuse issue or battery issue?

Post by Point37 »

Ok so I really haven’t had time to investigate just yet but...I put my battery back in for the spring this past weekend and I went to start my buddy 125 and there was not enough juice to start it...I said that’s weird cause I just charged it...plugged in the charger to the 12v port and the tender jr light wouldn’t turn on...so I grabbed my other charger and tried that one and the check battery light came on...then I disconnected that and opened the battery box...connected the clamps directly to the battery and the charger began charging

Is there a fuse between the 12v port and the battery other than the one in the battery box?...what are the specs on that fuse?...visually the fuse looks fine but I plan to test it with my multimeter when I get a chance...I have a feeling the battery is junk...if so should I look at an oem battery or are there better options out there?...thanks
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

If you plugged the charger into your accessory port (cig lighter), that only has a 1A fuse on it and will blow with any larger load.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

Just pulled the fuse...15A 250V...this fuse tested good
Last edited by Point37 on Wed May 27, 2020 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
'10 Triumph Bonneville SE (sold), '00 Yamaha TW200 (sold), '08 Husqvarna SM510R (sold), '05 Honda CBR 600RR (sold), '03 Honda CBR 600RR (sold)
Point37

Post by Point37 »

buzzvert wrote:If you plugged the charger into your accessory port (cig lighter), that only has a 1A fuse on it and will blow with any larger load.
Thanks...I assume that’s under the front panel?
buzzvert

Post by buzzvert »

Point37 wrote:
buzzvert wrote:If you plugged the charger into your accessory port (cig lighter), that only has a 1A fuse on it and will blow with any larger load.
Yes- just follow the thin wire from the back of the accessory port to the fuse holder. Blade-type fuse.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

buzzvert wrote:
Point37 wrote:
Yes- just follow the thin wire from the back of the accessory port to the fuse holder. Blade-type fuse.
Thanks again...just pulled it...yup it’s blown...I’ll have to hit the autozone and pick up a 1A fuse...I still think my battery is junk though...read 12.75v when I just put the multimeter on it...was still charging though before I pulled the plug to test it...I’ll see what it reads when it’s fully charged...then I’ll test it while I’m cranking it over to see how low it drops

These should do the trick if autozone doesn’t have any tomorrow...

5 Pack 1 AMP ATC/ATO Standard Regular Fuse Blade 1A Car Truck Boat Marine RV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071K98R2Q/re ... ZEbX0SJ9B5
Point37

Post by Point37 »

autozone only had mulitpacks of fuses and i wanted them all to be 1A fuses if i had to buy multiple so i ordered from amazon...got them the other day and put one in and plugged my battery tender jr back in and it worked perfect...my scooter was hard to start the other day but i'm assuming that was probably cause it was the first start of the season...started just fine this last time...if i have any other issues with starting i'm going to siphon out the gas and put it in my car and put fresh gas in from my lawnmower cans which all include seafoam...if the issue persists i'll pull the carb and run it through the ultrasonic...i need to go get it inspected soon...i'm already late
BayStateScooterist

Post by BayStateScooterist »

Point37 wrote:i need to go get it inspected soon...i'm already late
Deadline has been extended by one month! In Mass you have up to June 30th to get the inspection sticker. I also need to get my two scooters inspected. One needs a new rear tire.
Point37

Post by Point37 »

BayStateScooterist wrote:
Point37 wrote:i need to go get it inspected soon...i'm already late
Deadline has been extended by one month! In Mass you have up to June 30th to get the inspection sticker. I also need to get my two scooters inspected. One needs a new rear tire.
perfect!...thanks for the heads up