Trouble removing Buddy handlebar cover's speed meter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

phenomenalworld

Trouble removing Buddy handlebar cover's speed meter

Post by phenomenalworld »

My 2012 Buddy 125 front headlight cover wouldn't properly screw into the top handlebar cover (the one large screw at the top) because the handlebar cover's screw seam was stripped/broken (that area is notoriously fragile, I hear). So I ordered a whole new top handlebar cover for $80 (from Scooter Lounge). I spent a couple hours today struggling to get the old screws out and unscrew the speedometer. After eventual success, I grabbed the brand new handlebar cover, ready to replace it, but saw that the inner silver/chrome frame part that frames the speed meter was...missing! Or simply not included. (see photos below for a visual) Apparently it's considered a whole separate part ("Speed Meter Side Cover". Another $23). Bummer! But then I figured I could use this part from the old handlebar cover...except...it simply won't come out. I don't even know what's keeping it connected, but it's really firmly planted there, and seems fragile too - I don't wanna force it out.

SO my main question is: does anybody know how to get the Speed Meter cover OUT of the top handlebar cover. My scooter now sits disassembled and I'd rather not spend another $23+shipping and wait another 2 weeks to get the part.
Any other advice is welcome too!
Attachments
IMG_1169-1.JPG
IMG_1169-1.JPG (34.34 KiB) Viewed 845 times
IMG_1168-1.jpg
IMG_1168-1.jpg (38.4 KiB) Viewed 845 times
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

I wouldn't be surprised if it's glued on.

$23 for a piece of chromed plastic, huh?
phenomenalworld

Post by phenomenalworld »

Actually it wasn't glued on, although I started to think it was. Rather, it snaps in/out via fragile tabs. After a lot of wrestling with a flat blade screwdriver, somehow I did the right maneuver, and, presto, it snapped out! Super glad I don't have to dish out scratch for a little piece of chrome plastic Case closed!