Transmission oil leak Buddy 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

theralchico

Transmission oil leak Buddy 150

Post by theralchico »

I have owned this 2008 Buddy Italia 150 since 200miles. I am now at 34,000+ (not a typo). I found oil all ever the trans side of the rear tire and pretty sure its a blown seal. Same thing happened about 8years ago. Used to have a great mechanic but covid shut him down so I'm thinking it is time for me learn how to do my own maintenance. I have scoured through the threads (well spent about 5 minutes) and can't find one for fixing a transmission leak. Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how to get to the trans apart and find the seal.
Parts manual shows two of them which I have and a new gasket. Anyone ever replace the seals themselves? Have any guidance, maybe with pics, videos, etc.? I have a couple of motorcycle buddies with every tool I can imagine just don't know what I'm doing. I did get the outer cover off so far which I think I needed to do. Will get an impact gun for the variator and clutch. Those thinkgs do need to come off right? What next?
Attachments
IMG_0669.jpg
IMG_0669.jpg (104.68 KiB) Viewed 1903 times
Dooglas

Re: Transmission oil leak Buddy 150

Post by Dooglas »

theralchico wrote: I found oil all ever the trans side of the rear tire and pretty sure its a blown seal.
Sorry, couldn't help myself!
Attachments
Blown seal.jpg
Blown seal.jpg (66.9 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
theralchico

so I blew a seal..

Post by theralchico »

I had that joke in my post but removed it upon editing. Never fails to illicit a chuckle
tenders

Post by tenders »

I too somehow restrained myself from making that crude comment as I had no experience to contribute.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

First, that belt drive area is really dirty.

I suggest you look at the service manual to see how the transmission is assembled.

Was it overfilled? I haven't heard of a seal blowing out. And this is the seal on the input shaft, or what?

Wait, you said seal, and then you said gasket - which is it?
If it's the gasket, then IIRC, everything is on the other side, you need to split it open. I'm not sure you need to remove the clutch, I don't recall if there's bolts on that side.

I've only done that in a destructive manner.

Oh, and it's standard GY6 tranny, so any scooter instructional will help you.
theralchico

Post by theralchico »

I did mean both seal and gasket. I removed the rear tire and found the bolts to remove the housing from that side, i.e. gear transmission. Doesn't look like I need to remove the clutch or variator to do it. The leak was coming from the seam between the gear transmission and the left hand/CVT cover. I did find some grease on the tire spline but I don't think it had to do with the leak as I would think my brake pads would be covered in oil. I never opened up one of these so I wasn't sure if all the dirt in the belt area was unusual or not. Any thoughts on the cause of that? The belt is in great condition.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

theralchico wrote:I did mean both seal and gasket. I removed the rear tire and found the bolts to remove the housing from that side, i.e. gear transmission. Doesn't look like I need to remove the clutch or variator to do it. The leak was coming from the seam between the gear transmission and the left hand/CVT cover. I did find some grease on the tire spline but I don't think it had to do with the leak as I would think my brake pads would be covered in oil. I never opened up one of these so I wasn't sure if all the dirt in the belt area was unusual or not. Any thoughts on the cause of that? The belt is in great condition.
A lot of that is dust from the clutch. Use an air compressor to blow it out. Maybe lightly clean with soap and water.