Question about textile jakcets

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Angela

Question about textile jakcets

Post by Angela »

I my continuing search for a San Diego summer jacket I am trying to learn more about textile. Now I did a search and I found a lot of good info but how breathable is the material? I know its water resistant but in 80+degree weather will it be too hot? I'm thinking maybe so.

I found a jacket I really like at a great price, its textile with a back vent and cuff vents. I wold like arm pit vents but nope.

Anyone out there that can help?

Thanks

A
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Death is spelled t-e-x-t-i-l-e in the summer. Do some research on mesh jackets.
Angela

Post by Angela »

DennisD wrote:Death is spelled t-e-x-t-i-l-e in the summer. Do some research on mesh jackets.
I've looked at so many mesh jackets. They are so ugly.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Ahh, so you are interested in looks first, performance second. That's fine but make sure the textile jacket has lots of vents, more than just one on each arm and one on the back. If you are riding on the open road a lot that might serve you well, but those vents are pretty useless in stop and go city traffic. Just something to consider.
oryx

Post by oryx »

definitely mesh for summer. I have 2 textile jackets (one has vents) and a mesh. The textile jackets are tolerable up to low 80s for me. I wear the mesh for anything above 80 and it is amazing how cool the air that flows through it is. Makes for more comfort in stop and go traffic too compared to my textile jackets.

My mesh makes me look like a total power ranger (Shift womens airborne mesh in blk/wht) but it keeps me really cool.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Angela wrote:
DennisD wrote:Death is spelled t-e-x-t-i-l-e in the summer. Do some research on mesh jackets.
I've looked at so many mesh jackets. They are so ugly.

Everyone has their own idea of what they think looks good, but I have the Joe Rocket Cleo 2.0 in the white, and I think it's actually pretty cute. It has a zip out waterproof liner, which is always the other issue with mesh... rain.
Attachments
1524_Cleo_2.0_Jacket300.jpg
1524_Cleo_2.0_Jacket300.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 980 times
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I remember a bit in Proficient Motorcycling about how Beduins and Arabs wear several layers of wool fabric all summer in the desert and they do OK. Maybe they smell, i've never been to the middle east, but they're not dying of heat stroke.

Mesh jackets have faults aside from being a crime against fashion, they're not as abrasion-resistant, and you can still get sunburned or overexposed. Preventing exposure is important, you just want to make sure you're hydrated and vented. the old wet-rag-scarf trick helps a lot...

It also cracks me up when I see people wearing a vented jacket and, like, shorts and flip-flops. don't abandon your feet and hands and legs when it's hot out.

I've always been fine in just about anything if it's vented and I'm moving. it's the stop-and-go city traffic that kills me.

Not really an answer there, just some thoughts.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Angela

Post by Angela »

illnoise wrote:
Mesh jackets have faults aside from being a crime against fashion, they're not as abrasion-resistant, and you can still get sunburned or overexposed. Preventing exposure is important, you just want to make sure you're hydrated and vented. the old wet-rag-scarf trick helps a lot...
I tried on a few mesh jackets and was really freaked by how exposed I was. I just know how hot it gets here. Already my current jacket with the vents open if making me sweat and it is by no means a cold weather jacket.

This jacket isn't so bad, Fieldsheer fits me kinda weird but maybe if I order big my shoulders will fit.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/fieldsh ... e-2-jacket

I'm trying really hard not to fall victim to fashion, but I do have the pink and black theme I need to keep up with. :wink:
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

That Cleo 2.0 that I have comes in a pink and black. It has elbow & shoulder armor and a spine guard. I like it a lot so far.
Attachments
577_Cleo_2.0_Jacket300.jpg
577_Cleo_2.0_Jacket300.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 967 times
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Here's one in pink and white. Scroll down to the pink one.

http://www.newenough.com/browse/view_product_images/139
fs8gbe

Post by fs8gbe »

Angela wrote: Fieldsheer fits me kinda weird but maybe if I order big my shoulders will fit.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/fieldsh ... e-2-jacket

I'm trying really hard not to fall victim to fashion, but I do have the pink and black theme I need to keep up with. :wink:
fieldsheer is always 1 size too big. i just got my fieldsheer bullet tex jacket and i really dig it, though it is going to get hot in the summer. i'll just have to carry some spray in my pet carrier for the summer i guess so i don't stink too much at work :-)
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thanks for all the input and help everyone.

I think I'm going to go for this one.

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1002001/p/22465

Its simple enough and affordable. We'll see.

I need an A/C for my scooter this summer.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Fieldsheer makes a jacket that functions as a regular textile jacket and a mesh jacket. I think it's the motomorph. It can be configured in 3 different ways.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/spor ... esh+jacket
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
TVB

Post by TVB »

illnoise wrote:I remember a bit in Proficient Motorcycling about how Beduins and Arabs wear several layers of wool fabric all summer in the desert and they do OK. Maybe they smell, i've never been to the middle east, but they're not dying of heat stroke.
The strategy of shedding body heat through evaporation of sweat (i.e. lots of skin exposed to the wind) would be fatal in a climate that dry. Instead their clothing is designed to reflect sunlight (to avoid sunburn and keep the heat from becoming deadly) and to retain moisture (to avoid dehydration). With those two life-saving missions accomplished, they simply put up with the merely "high" amount of heat. Probably results in greater body odor, but modern westerners are a bit freakish in trying so hard to get rid of that: if you live with it on a daily basis, you don't smell it.
kmtscoot

Post by kmtscoot »

Thanks Angela for the link to the retailer you chose. I have been looking on-line for men's riding apparel but I hadn't found this particular retailer. I liked what I saw and the prices seemed reasonable. I ordered jacket, pants and gloves.
2008 Buddy 125 (sold)
2009 SYM RV250
1963 Karmann Ghia
Vic

Post by Vic »

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/ ... ns/Class1/

Just wanted to chime in with a plug for my new mesh jacket, Scorpion's Mesh Nip Tuck Jacket. No pink, but the Lavender and white is beautiful and not everything has to be all matchy matchy. :D

It is amazingly lightweight, fits beautifully, and I am a woman of magnificent abundance, so it is not often I say that about armored gear.

I wore it home on a day that was in the 80s and was actually a little chilled, I had removed the liner. The air just flows right through it and the light color reflects a lot of those cooking rays from the sun.

And, it just looks like a chic jacket with some great details including embroidery and corseting type adjustments on the sides, no robocop look here!

-v
Angela

Post by Angela »

Everyone has had excellent suggestions. Being that I am on the unemployed side, I need to take a cheap route.

I don;t want to spend too much on a mesh when I will be making a big purchase of the 5.0 for fall.