Tips On Transporting Your Scooter

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

Tips On Transporting Your Scooter

Post by Corsair »

Wanted to create a thread that's specifically about transporting your scooter. If you have any tips or questions here's a great place for them :)

Here are some things to make your trip much easier (check your local dealer):

Canyon Dancer Handle Bar Harness

Ratchet Tie Downs

Folding Motorcycle Ramp

You can even make a stable ramp your self:

Wheel Choke (depending)

There are a ton of different trailer options to choose from (just make sure it can carry the weight):

You can also rent trailers from various moving companies.

If you have anything to contribute please feel free
:D
scooterdyke

Post by scooterdyke »

Corsair,

Do you have any additional info on the "2 rail" trailer or the funky colored ones? I like both - we have 2 Buddys - and am looking for something like either of those to trailer them to out-of-state rallies and such.
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I am still thinking of replacing the Scion with a truck of some sort. this thread will come in happen when the time comes.
Steven
Touting the benefit of the Buddy 50cc one post at a time
Lisa I

Post by Lisa I »

I think I'm going to get one of those trailer things that carry the scoot sideways off the trailer hitch (shown behind a truck in one of the pics above). Thanks for the thread!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

scooterdyke wrote:Corsair,

Do you have any additional info on the "2 rail" trailer or the funky colored ones? I like both - we have 2 Buddys - and am looking for something like either of those to trailer them to out-of-state rallies and such.
I found the "2 Rail" at www.motorsporttrailers.com and the funky colored ones at http://www.kendonusa.com/combo_trailer.htm
Lisa I wrote:I think I'm going to get one of those trailer things that carry the scoot sideways off the trailer hitch (shown behind a truck in one of the pics above). Thanks for the thread!
The sideways scooter carrier is a Tilt-A-Rack

You can actually talk to your local scooter dealer and see if they can order you a trailer :)

I'd actually liked to upload videos/pics showing how to properly tie down a scooter... maybe once I move and get settled in. If anyone else can beat me to it please feel free to upload your tutorial
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

How about some web sites for these...especially the tilting ramp. Thanks for this post. I've actually been wanting info. on these.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

Sharon wrote:How about some web sites for these...
any of the underlined words are links ;)
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

I know but some of your pictures did not have the lines to highlight, or, can I find all that you show at the same website?
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

Never mind...I had a "senior moment". Again, thanks for the info!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

anyone know where to buy an aluminum folding ramp locally in TX or MI?
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

Corsair wrote:anyone know where to buy an aluminum folding ramp locally in TX or MI?
I got one at a Honda dealer, but I saw the exact same thing at my Genuine dealer. Probably anyone can order one. :D

Thanks for the link on the tilting trailer, I love it.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

GaryEPSP wrote:Probably anyone can order one. :D

Thanks for the link on the tilting trailer, I love it.
I was hoping to pick one up by the 21st but I ended up finding a different ramp at Harbor Freight that will work. Did you end up buying the Tilt-A-Rack?
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

IMPORTANT LESSON:

Do NOT buy cheap tie downs with cheap ratchets! DO NOT BUY CHEAP TIE DOWNS if you value your scooter. They don't hold well, will loosen when you don't need, get jammed in the ratchet, and will snap... lesson learned.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

Corsair wrote:IMPORTANT LESSON:

Do NOT buy cheap tie downs with cheap ratchets! DO NOT BUY CHEAP TIE DOWNS if you value your scooter. They don't hold well, will loosen when you don't need, get jammed in the ratchet, and will snap... lesson learned.
Yours isn't an isolated case, I watched the ratchet type break while my friend was tying down his scooter. I'm not dissing all ratchet style tie downs, as Corsair said; DO NOT BUY CHEAP TIE DOWNS.

I use Canyon Dancers and they work well for me. I've heard some complaints on them but I've never had any problems.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

GaryEPSP wrote: I use Canyon Dancers and they work well for me. I've heard some complaints on them but I've never had any problems.
The canyon dancers are definitely great and I HIGHLY recommend them. They've worked like a champ :)
sailortot

Post by sailortot »

Corsair wrote:anyone know where to buy an aluminum folding ramp locally in TX or MI?
we got ours at a local atwoods store. check it out if you have one nearby.
chancerbeans13

Post by chancerbeans13 »

Where can one get one of those brackets to make a their own stable ramp?
sotied

Post by sotied »

The Ninja wrote:I am still thinking of replacing the Scion with a truck of some sort. this thread will come in happen when the time comes.
I have a Scion xA. Can I put a hitch on it and carry a Buddy?

The Buddy isn't that heavy.

Anyone?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

sotied wrote:
The Ninja wrote:I am still thinking of replacing the Scion with a truck of some sort. this thread will come in happen when the time comes.
I have a Scion xA. Can I put a hitch on it and carry a Buddy?

The Buddy isn't that heavy.

Anyone?
You need to look up the hitch rating (class) for the xA, then match it with the kind of trailer or carrier you're thinking about.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ryder1

Post by ryder1 »

You need to consider more than the weight the hitch can support for a Tilt a Rack or Versa-Haul; the suspension factors into it too.

Read on Versa-Haul site for specific details on it:
I own a 2000 Chevy Tahoe 2-wheel drive. Your website says I can't carry more than about 300 pounds on a VersaHaul on my car. Why? The Tahoe manual says it can carry 500 pounds tongue weight. So why can't the Tahoe carry as much as the other trucks you have listed?
The Tahoe is carrying a weight extended two feet from the hitch. This is a force applied through a distance or torque. Leverage creates a mechanical disadvantage. Thus, a weight of 300 lbs. may exert 500 lbs. on your hitch. If your hitch is strong enough, then the next concern I have is your suspension. A 300 lb. load with a standard suspension Tahoe will tilt the car's frame backwards similar to a trailer. With more weight, the rear suspension may compress completely. Auto ride suspension, air bags, and other suspension stiffing devices will increase your vehicle's capacity to carry a load.

Unfortunately , I have found that the standard suspensions on Tahoes and other SUVs are not as stiff as truck's with pick-up beds. It is important to follow my recommended carrying capacity chart to avoid dangerously overloading your vehicle.

Note: I have tested a 600+ lb. Polaris four wheeler on a VH-90 RO and a 2000 Tahoe. The Tahoe's spring compressed completely, and it was difficult to drive.

I have the Versa-haul to transport on the back of a TrailBlazer and have not had any problems. There was a something with the Versa-haul that was better than the tilt a rack, but don't recall what it was.
BeachBuzz

Post by BeachBuzz »

dont crank the canyon dancer to hard either - your handlebars will bend! the idea is to stabilize the scoot from tipping over. you should also secure the wheels to keep from rolling.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

BeachBuzz wrote:

dont crank the canyon dancer to hard either - your handlebars will bend! the idea is to stabilize the scoot from tipping over. you should also secure the wheels to keep from rolling.
Good point. I've seen handlebars bent out of shape from too much pressure. You only need to tie down with enough pressure to compress your front shock half way down.
sbebenelli

Post by sbebenelli »

I'm sure this is a dumb question but how do you use the Folding Motorcycle Ramp? Does it take more than one person to get it in and out?
skullmechanic

Post by skullmechanic »

ryder1 wrote:You need to consider more than the weight the hitch can support for a Tilt a Rack or Versa-Haul; the suspension factors into it too.
Not only the suspension, but "towing packages" on our 4-wheeled friends, typically have beefed up suspension, beefed up brakes, a larger radiator, and maybe transmission modifications. So, before any little 4 cyl. sedan gets all hooked up for a hitch, I'd check with the dealer to see how much, if anything, the vehicle should be towing.

That said, I have fantisized a couple time about towing my Buddy behind my Celica GT.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

I think people believe that a Buddy on the back of your car is a big deal, it really isn't. The dry weight of a Buddy is 220lbs; that's the weight of my Uncle Cal. Don't sweat it too much. :D
apetit

Post by apetit »

It's not the static "weight," but the dynamic "weight." Consider how much force (not weight) it will exert on the frame of the car at the bottom of a dip. For an instant there, the bike is going down while the car is going up. (This happens because at the bottom of the dip, the bike suspension is still being compressed while the car suspension is uncompressing.)

And if your car happens to lack, as do many these days, a solid (enough) frame to attach the hitch to, ... , well sheet metal rips. Don't be fooled by bumper mounted hitches as they could very well be mounted to fairly thin sheet metal.

Consult with reliable hitch installers.
GaryEPSP

Post by GaryEPSP »

apetit wrote:It's not the static "weight," but the dynamic "weight." Consider how much force (not weight) it will exert on the frame of the car at the bottom of a dip. For an instant there, the bike is going down while the car is going up. (This happens because at the bottom of the dip, the bike suspension is still being compressed while the car suspension is uncompressing.)

And if your car happens to lack, as do many these days, a solid (enough) frame to attach the hitch to, ... , well sheet metal rips. Don't be fooled by bumper mounted hitches as they could very well be mounted to fairly thin sheet metal.

Consult with reliable hitch installers.
Yeah, that's good to look in to. And you probably should. I don't want to be blamed for your car doing wheelies on the interstate....However, I've seen some big motorcycles on this type of mount with no problem. In my opinion, if you have a mid-size vehicle, a scooter presents no problem.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

sbebenelli wrote:I'm sure this is a dumb question but how do you use the Folding Motorcycle Ramp? Does it take more than one person to get it in and out?
Yes, one person can use it. I was able to unfold it and set it up to the bed of a small pick-up truck, and then pull it down and fold it back up by myself (I'm a thin female with absolutely no arm strength). I could have even gotten it into the bed of the pick-up by myself, but sadly it wasn't mine and was staying behind.
Glen G

kia

Post by Glen G »

I was going to use this on my 4 Cyl Kia Sportage

http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

Chart for Vershaul says 233lb Capacity, and I'm putting in a Uhaul class III, do I sound good?

what do you think?

Glen
olhogrider

Post by olhogrider »

Ride it there! Leave the cage. You don't need it.
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: kia

Post by ericalm »

Glen G wrote:I was going to use this on my 4 Cyl Kia Sportage

http://www.versahaul.com/vh55ro.php

Chart for Vershaul says 233lb Capacity, and I'm putting in a Uhaul class III, do I sound good?

what do you think?

Glen
From this thread:
illnoise wrote:The versahauler and other hitch-mounted racks are usually designed for type-3 recievers, which (i'm pretty sure) are not appropriate for a Scion Xa.

With a trailer, the load is balanced on the axle, so the wheels are carrying most of the weight and the hitch is just pulling the trailer. (I can't lift two scooters, but I can easily roll around my trailer with two scooters on it) My Honda CR-V (smallish SUV) is only rated to tow 1000 pounds, which is roughly 2 scooters and a modest trailer. The tongue weight is much less than that, if I tried to put a Versahauler on my Class-1 hitch (aside from not fitting) it would just bend my frame and hitch and damage my car.
So I think you're looking for the tongue weight, not towing capacity.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BlueMark

Any car can tow

Post by BlueMark »

You should be able to trailer a scooter behind just about any car, even a subcompact. A class I hitch can be used to tow up to 2000 lbs with a tongue weight of 200 lbs - more than enough for most scooters - even two, and can even be installed on a Mini Cooper. Of course with a 200 lb tongue weight (not hitch weight) it is important that your load is properly balanced on the trailer.

Trailerhitches.com has good info and will show you what hitch will work on your vehicle, and what it's capacity is. I'm not necessarily endorsing them - haven't used them.
remhed

Post by remhed »

How about transporting one in the bed of a pickup? I don't have a way to tow a trailer, so I am considering loading a Buddy into the back of a pickup rental from uhaul. One thing I don't like is that the only real tie downs are up on the side of the bed as opposed to being low which I think would be preferable.

I'm also concerned about the comments around cheap ratchet tie downs as I just bought some from Harbor Freight Tools which is the home of cheap tools.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
Hopeful new Buddy owner.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

This was my solution for hauling my Buddy over 2700 miles in the past two months. The protective wrap is similar to shrink wrap and very tough. I wrapped the undercarriage first, before putting it up on the rack, and used just one tie down to hold it in place til I got the rest of it wrapped and taped. The duct tape was used on the cut ends and over gaps where the wind could get in and start worrying the plastic. At no time did the tape come in direct contact with the scoot! It was a learning experience. The first time, pic with snow, I didn't have all the gaps sealed and "Ms Gilly" needed a good wash at the end of the trip. But the second wrap was a winner. Absoloutely clean when we arrived home. Cost for materials only about $25 and there is still enough wrap left for several more trips.
[/img]Image
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Dage'sVew wrote: [/img]Image
OK so, my question is about your carrier. I've looked at several to carry my scoot on the back of my Jeep YJ. Also have you had any issues using the rear rack as your tie down points, I'm afraid it may not have the strength for that.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

remhed wrote:How about transporting one in the bed of a pickup? I don't have a way to tow a trailer, so I am considering loading a Buddy into the back of a pickup rental from uhaul. One thing I don't like is that the only real tie downs are up on the side of the bed as opposed to being low which I think would be preferable.
I've had my scoots hauled in a number of different types of trucks. Low is better, but if you get it tight, you should be good.

My advice: Use a wheel chock. You can get them pretty cheap. Use proper handlebar ties like Canyon Dancers. When ratcheting the scooter, sit on it and lean forward to compress the shocks so there's no bouncing or play.
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

KABarash wrote:
Dage'sVew wrote: [/img]Image
OK so, my question is about your carrier. I've looked at several to carry my scoot on the back of my Jeep YJ. Also have you had any issues using the rear rack as your tie down points, I'm afraid it may not have the strength for that.
For the second wrap I did make a point of moving the rear tie downs further up the rack to where the 'cross piece' would give it more strength and support. However, the tie downs themselves I really only ratchet down firmly enough to prevent the rear tire from bouncing out of the channel and to maintain side to side position. Not really a lot of torque(?) needed.
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

I've had scooters for over 5 years and never had to transport one in the back of my pickup until this month. I've done it three times.

I've transported a Buddy 125, People 150, and a Bajaj Chetak 150.

To transport without Canyon Dancers, loop the tie down hook and place it over the hand grips in the opposite direction of accelerate so you don't break the spring there. The other side doesn't matter too much. As some have said, ratch it down about half way down the forks make sure it is fairly balanced (not leaning).

The mechanic at Motorsports says that is all that is needed. I usually put 2 more tie downs in the rear. Avoid putting tie downs on things like mufflers, rear racks, or plastic body parts. On the Buddy, all I did was put the tie down across the rear threading through a spoke. On the other two scooters I found metal frame parts to hook on to.

Wheel chock was optional except on the Chetak.

I have been using two type of tie downs. One excellent set that my daughter bought for me at Walmart. Heavy duty and easy to use. Another set fron Harbor Freight are okay but the tie downs are harder to use (release).
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
ScootLemont

Post by ScootLemont »

Love my canyon dancer - its a must as far as I am concerned
I trailered two scoots (one at at time) over 700 miles last summer (bought one a couple hundred miles from where I live - long story)
anyway... the canyon dancer & a wheel chock made it pretty carefree

About straps....
In my experience (trailering scooters, atvs & sleds) most will stretch the first time or two you use them (expensive ones, cheap ones alike)
So.... stop & check new straps often & snug them as needed
Even after they are broken in, I stop after 60 to 100 miles just to see if they need to be snugged.

Last edited by ScootLemont on Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
irishtim

Post by irishtim »

I've used this folding ramp for years:

http://www.discountramps.com/motocross-ramp.htm

OH,PA,IN,WV,KY,TN,WI,MI,SC,ON,BDA
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Harbor Freight - On Sale every so often single and double wide.

I think we paid about $57 for the double wide a year ago.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

pcbikedude wrote:I've had scooters for over 5 years and never had to transport one in the back of my pickup until this month. I've done it three times.

To transport without Canyon Dancers, loop the tie down hook and place it over the hand grips in the opposite direction of accelerate so you don't break the spring there... (release).
... and pray.

Our local shop told us how they haul them and we did not need center stand, we did not need rear straps and then 1/2 mile from home after a service about a year ago the left grip worked its way off and whamo - the scooter ate the side of the truck!

NEVER we will ever haul without a Canyon Dancer again - and rear straps!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

MYSCTR wrote:
pcbikedude wrote:I've had scooters for over 5 years and never had to transport one in the back of my pickup until this month. I've done it three times.

To transport without Canyon Dancers, loop the tie down hook and place it over the hand grips in the opposite direction of accelerate so you don't break the spring there... (release).
... and pray.

Our local shop told us how they haul them and we did not need center stand, we did not need rear straps and then 1/2 mile from home after a service about a year ago the left grip worked its way off and whamo - the scooter ate the side of the truck!

NEVER we will ever haul without a Canyon Dancer again - and rear straps!
I do use straps on the back. I'm really anal about loosing a scooter on the freeway. Trust me, those scooters were not moving.
pcbikedude wrote:I usually put 2 more tie downs in the rear. Avoid putting tie downs on things like mufflers, rear racks, or plastic body parts. On the Buddy, all I did was put the tie down across the rear threading through a spoke. On the other two scooters I found metal frame parts to hook on to.
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

On my recent experience with Roadside assist, the local operator they sent had a big flatbed that looked like it could onload a M1A1 Abrams tank. The guy had a box full of motorcycle tie-downs, and said he tows Harleys all the time, but he didn't have a wheel chock. Itty Bitty Buddy sat in the center of the flatbed, two straps in front, two in the rear.

I cringed, though, when he kept the bike on the center stand rather than putting both front and rear suspension under tension. If the rear straps were the slightest bit loose, it could have rolled right off the center stand the first time he hit the brakes. I guess the Harleys sit on their side stands.

Anyway, I was relieved when the shop called to tell me it had arrived unscathed.
Mtlgrlie

What size canyon dancer does a 150 need?

Post by Mtlgrlie »

What size canyon dancer does a 150 need? They have different sizes (widths) apparently! Thanks all...... Searching didn't help.....

They also have the cup-end type too...canyon dancer 2. Any thoughts on these and size?
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Got the standard canyon dancers.....hope that's fine, couldn't hold my order any longer..... They also had short and the cup type short and standard size.....:)
cdwise

Post by cdwise »

I avoid the whole canyon dancer/handlebar thing by using a Condor scooter chock. Wheel it up the rail, click it in the chock and run a strap around the tire. http://store.condor-lift.com/products.p ... oter-Chock

I know folks who use no other straps with them but I still feel safer with straps on the back too.
Mtlgrlie

Post by Mtlgrlie »

Nice, but unfortunately it costs more than my trailer did! And if I rent a bigger trailer, then I still need straps. so I bought tire straps and a canyon dancer for my hitch mount. I am really hoping to buy a second scoot in the next few months, but until then..... :D
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

The most convenient method bar none is still a pickup truck and ramp. But if no pickup truck this is the low cost option. I won this model and it works great and is durable. I mostly got it encase I had to carry 2 motorcycles and the pickup was full.
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/produ ... lyId=16780
There are also models as low as $77 that require assembly (more parts).
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Carrie ... 925&sr=8-1
tunseeker1

Post by tunseeker1 »

Here are my thoughts on hauling your scoots.

I load one of my scoots all the time because its easier then trying to meet the family after work then driving 2 cars home.

1. Ramps. Before you buy ramps figure out how tall the truck is and how long the ramp is. If the angle on a straight ramp is too steep then the battery box catches on the top of the ramp and now your stuck.

2. Control while loading. If you are thinking about a single ramp for a truck, or a hitch mounted carrier you need to think about how you are going to keep control of the scooter. On a ramp you need to get into the bed at some point and still keep the scooter upright. I use a ramp for scoot and one for me, or a step ladder.

3. Hitch mounted carrier. I have used a versa haul on an escape and a few different trucks. I can tell you that on an escape it feels very heavy while driving. When you load a carrier you need to think way ahead about tie downs or you will be unloading the bike and starting over. The bike will want to fall over while you are holding it one handed and trying to strap it down one handed..

4. Trailer. This is a huge area. I have used all kinds of trailers and found out that not all chocks fit all bikes, tie down points can put straps in a rubbing situation, rail trailers act like a hitch mounted carrier when tying down, and you still need ramps.

5. Power loading. This is something that many people don't actually know unless they have loaded something. You don't ride the scooter into a truck, or hitch hauler, but you need to use the engine to get up the ramp. This is an artform in itself. You are trying to hold the bike up, balance yourself while leaning over the bike, and control the throttle so the bike doesn't get away from you.

6. Cost. This is the part that is easy to argue about. I use my ramps and straps all the time so i spent a bit more money on mine. You can get away with cheap straps for a long time if you never use them, but remember you are keeping a multi-thousand dollar bike safe with 3 dollar straps that can fail.
Trailers and hitch haulers are unforgiving about straps breaking. Something breaks your bike is on the ground. In the bed of a pickup it falls over in the bed but usually doesn't cause a lot of damage.

7. Accidents. I think about this because I have an infant and toddler in the back seat of my truck when the bike is in the bed. If something happens and you get in an accident what will the bike do?
Did you strap it down to something solid with strong tie downs or will the restraining system break and send the bike into the back window of the truck.
If you are using a trailer, what will happen if the light duty trailer hits a pothole and bounces? Will the scooter still be on the trailer?

These are just my thoughts for today. I may think of others!