new buddy, but which one?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wrightwinger

new buddy, but which one?

Post by wrightwinger »

I'm new to scooting, not all sure of what my uses will be.

I'm just debating which new buddy to buy (prob this week).
125, 150, 170i.

My fears?
I fear I'll regret not getting something peppier than a 125.
the 150 having production canceled (still have em here, and knowing i still could of gotten even more pep)
and the 170's fuel injection, and a few other parts, making it less simple and more prone to problems.

i'm in minnesota, so only a few weeks left in the riding season (it is june afterall).
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

I'm waiting for my student grant checks to hit my account in a month or two and I'm in the market as well but I've been able to test ride a 125cc and just recently a co-worker's 150. To me, there didn't seem to be too much difference in stock (granted the 150 had about 6 thousand miles on it... and not all of them nice miles). The 170i is very appealing with Fuel Injection while the others are only carbed, but at $3300 (which is what my local dealer is expecting them to come in at), it's almost tempting to get a Stella 4T. The 125cc locally is going for $2400 plus fees and taxes, which put it at about 2900 OTD. It leaves room for performance parts at least :)

And, again, going off of the opinion as someone who's looking to buy as well, the 125cc seemed VERY peppy for it's frame size, and not lacking for power...right away :twisted: It's way more spirited than the Vespa LX150 or Vino 125cc in the real world.

I know there is a fellow on here who just got his hands on a 170i, so perhaps he can help shed some light on the subject...
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Take into account where you live, how far you'll have to drive if you use it for

1).work
2).play

The types of roads you will need to traverse, rural, urban, highway. And of course you yourself, which will affect the way the scoot rides (lighter vs. heavier body weight, confidence handling your new bike, experience).

Their is never just 1 simple answer :(
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Chilly

Post by Chilly »

I got a 125 and love, almost never find myself wanting more power. That said with msrp prices I'd jump on the 170i. Unless the dealer is is offering a bargain on leftover 2009's. Go for the best deal I say, you can't wrong with any of the 3. My 125 is good here in SoFla for everywhere except the interstate and Turnpike, though the 170 would be legal on the higways here no way I'd take one out on one.
2 > 4
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I have both the 125 (17k miles) and the 170 (2 weeks new). Both have a lot of "pep" and are quick as can be. The main differences, IMHO, are that the 170 is faster (hits 70 on the speedo easily) and much more enjoyable and smooth when riding at high speeds. I really like having a little more power for the highway.

So far I'm getting around 85-90 mpg on the 170; the 125 averaged 98+ for the past three years.

Both are wonderful scooters, and I think you'll enjoy either one. (My sister has the 150 and enjoys it as well).
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

The real answer is get the one you want!

I still believe that a Buddy 125 is the best bang for the buck you can get for a scooter and I would not hesitate to buy a good condition used one.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL