Brand New 50cc Buddy won't hold an idle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

eddiesasylum

Brand New 50cc Buddy won't hold an idle

Post by eddiesasylum »

I just bought a brand new 2007 Buddy 50cc. I can start it up just fine, but after I warm it up, it will not stay running. I rode maybe 1/4 mile and it killed on me. Then when I start it back up, it will idle very slow and die. If I wait 5 or so minutes it will idle again but when I try to drive it it kills like it's not getting enough gas. Not sure when could be wrong.
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

get roadside assistance to pick it up and take it back to the dealer to be repaired under warranty. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
Parkerl

Post by Parkerl »

have you filled the tank since you got it?
eddiesasylum

Post by eddiesasylum »

The tank from the dealer was half full.. I filled it up tonight thinking maybe it was old gas so I thought that may help, but it's still having the same problem.
Parkerl

Post by Parkerl »

this happened to me yesterday.... it may be that you toped the tank off and an air bubble has got gone down your gas line.... if you go take the gas cap off your gas tank and let it run for a minute it should be fixed good luck!
eddiesasylum

Post by eddiesasylum »

tried taking off the gas cap and letting it idle, but still after a couple minutes the idle slows down and it eventually dies.
Parkerl

Post by Parkerl »

did you try riding it around?
eddiesasylum

Post by eddiesasylum »

it will not let me ride it... as soon as I give it any gas, it kills on me
Parkerl

Post by Parkerl »

i would call your dealer right away
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Your post-warmup idle air mixture is out of whack. Once your auto choke isn't auto choking your scoot dies? There are two screws on your carb, the easy one to find and adjust is your main idle adjustment. Then there is a small brass screw (flathead) located near that, usually harder to get to. That's your air adjustment in the mixture. Screw that one in, back out about 2 or 3 turns and see if that helps. You can adjust that while it's running too.
eddiesasylum

Post by eddiesasylum »

yah, it doesn't make sense.. it's brand new.. I'll do that tomorrow
eddiesasylum

Post by eddiesasylum »

where is the carb located on the buddy?
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

I can't answer where. I know my scooter needed the air/fuel mixture adjusted when it was just about brand new. Like in the parking lot new. It became a big problem after I changed the stock airbox out for a new air filter... then it wouldn't run after warmup. Now it runs fine :D
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

scullyfu wrote:get roadside assistance to pick it up and take it back to the dealer to be repaired under warranty. :)
let's try this one more time...BUMP
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

scullyfu wrote:
scullyfu wrote:get roadside assistance to pick it up and take it back to the dealer to be repaired under warranty. :)
let's try this one more time...BUMP
+1 This is what I originally suggested to you on the BBS, but I edited my post when I got confused about when the engine was smoking. Anyway, there is no reason for you to pull your hair out over this. There's probably something really simple wrong with your carb, and your dealer should sort it out for you. (My money is on clogged jets in the carb, BTW) Since you can't ride the scoot, you can use the Roadside Assistance to get it towed to them.

Pls let us know how it turns out.

Welcome to Modern Buddy. We're looking forward to you being a happy Buddy owner. :wink:

-John
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

maybe you aren't running premium gas. JOKING! Relax peeps.
I have the scoots!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

poop colored buddy wrote:maybe you aren't running premium gas. JOKING! Relax peeps.
:lol: :lol:
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

PCB... doesn't the buddy run better on Jet Fuel :lol: The dealer would be your safest bet, especially under warranty. I guess it's a matter of how convenient they are. Roadside only brings you so far then it's on your tab.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

From an old thread on adjusting the idle. This is for a 125—probably the same on the 50/150s.
ericalm wrote:The skill required to do this is no more than the ability to use a screwdriver. If you're feeling adventurous, you can pop open the seat and unscrew the door at the bottom of the pet carrier. The idle adjust is the prominent screw at the top right of the opening (as indicated in photo below). Start the scoot and let it warm up a little.

The service manual says to use a tachometer, but really, I adjust this by ear and by feel... usually adjusting so that the rear tire starts to spin very slowly. I'll usually then take it for a ride and make another adjustment as needed. If someone has a better method that doesn't require buying more hardware, I'm happy to hear it!

It will probably require as little as a quarter or half a clockwise turn to increase the idle just enough.

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Woooooooooooooo Admin with the pics! Just what was needed here, in lieu of 1000 words.
eddiesasylum

Post by eddiesasylum »

Here's how it's running now... It starts up just fine.. Idles fine initially.. Then when I try to give it gas it will kill on me right away.. Once it warms up a bit it will ride just fine.. I will drive and come to complete stops and sit for a minute and it will fire up and go again.. it's basically the initial few minutes trying to ride.... I wonder if it's a cold issue? Overnight it probably sits in a 10-20 degree garage.. then during the work day the outside temp maybe hits 40 degrees.. but the garage is still cold... so I'm thinking it could just be it is too cold in Minnesota right now? I have clocked in 30 miles so far and yesturday it was running great.... I haven't taken it past 1/2 throttle as the book said to wear the engine in that way... and yesturday half throttle was pushing 30 mph.. the time before 1/2 would get me to 20 - 25 tops... When I try to ride slower 5-15 mph it seems to have a tendancy to want to speed up.... the engine has trouble running that slow.. but when I'm going faster it runs great... I've read and heard there is a substance in the gas tank that when you first buy a new scooter has to be ran through the engine.. I wonder if that could be part of the equation also?
I am hoping next week we'll be in the 40's to 50 degrees so I can see how the weather possibly has an effect.... But I'm excited.. it sure beats when I first picked it up and I couldn't get it to roll forward...
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Well its good that it seems to be getting better. I dont know anything about cold weather since Im in California :P . Have you called your dealer and described the problem to them?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Yup—talk to the dealer. That's what that 2-year warranty is for! It could be a very simple adjustment, or something that wasn't adjusted properly after shipping.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
5 bud7

Post by 5 bud7 »

hey poop- now that you brought it up, have you noticed your scooter just doesn't have it on hills anymore and the vespa 150's are now passing you? You can fix your problem for .20.