Engine gauge/thermometer?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

denverscoot50

Post by denverscoot50 »

Hi – So I have done a bunch of mods to my 125 Buddy and I was wondering if anyone has installed some type of engine temperature gauge on their scoot. My mechanic thought that it might be good idea seeing how it can get hot in Denver. :?:
Keep both hands on wheels and your feet on the handelbars!!

Prima 161 kit, NCY 150 head, Prima pipe, Koso clutch, Dr Pully variator, Kevlar belt - jetted to 100 - shes gettin there : 0
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have seen some installations on motorcycles where folks have installed one of those small dial type thermometers with the long probe (like a meat thermometer) through the dipstick cap. I'm sure a handy fellow could also install a small thermocouple probe somewhere with a digital readout up by the headset. Not sure why your mechanic thinks it is necessary but could be interesting. The answer in hot weather is to keep moving, or shut down the engine if you can't. (Boy, you should see my Ural engine heat up on a hot afternoon when it sits at fast idle for a few minutes. It can make the headers glow!)
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

I have not tried this oil temperature gauge but a few years ago MB member SCOOTER SOLDIER recommended the XRs Oil Temperature Dip Stick for the Honda CRF250R / CRF450R with a 3 inch probe. SCOOTER SOLDIER’s discussion on this can be read in this tread:

viewtopic.php?t=2602&highlight=oil+temp+gauge
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

How about something along these lines:

http://www.partshelf.com/ps-maverick-et-71.html

Anyone have any idea as to what the max temp capability of the thermometer should be in order to adequately handle whatever the engine puts out?
Howardr

Post by Howardr »

I'm sure Denver gets a little hot, but there are an awful lot of Buddies here in the Tucson and Phoenix areas. I'm currently riding in my 3rd summer and have ridden both on highway and in stop & go traffic in temps of 110+ degrees with no ill effect. I don't think you really have much to worry about, unless you just want the gauge, which would be kind of a neat feature.

Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

i think the cheapest way to go is the dipstick with the dial temp gauge. You can even go as far as getting an EGT gauge (exhaust gas temp). 2t people use them to tune their rides when they have a lot of mods on theirs. but it can get $$$
jmkjr72

Post by jmkjr72 »

you need a cyl head temp guage this will give you the best engine temp info
it has a ring that goes around the spark plug and gives tha actual engine temp oil temp is ok but not as uselfull as the actual head temp
to prevent an over heat
also consider an exhasut gas temp guage you will have to drill a hole in your pipe and put a probe in your exhasut but this will give ou real time data if you are rich or lean
z 2008 zuma 50
olive 2008 setlla
1979 tomos
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jmkjr72 wrote:you need a cyl head temp guage this will give you the best engine temp info
it has a ring that goes around the spark plug and gives tha actual engine temp oil temp is ok but not as uselfull as the actual head temp
to prevent an over heat
also consider an exhasut gas temp guage you will have to drill a hole in your pipe and put a probe in your exhasut but this will give ou real time data if you are rich or lean
Well said.

I am more of a 2T tuner so please keep that in mind.

In general an exhaust gas temp gauge is good for getting your final set up...jets, timing, plug. As jmkjr said you need to drill an access hole in your exhaust. You will also need to get the "probe holder" welded to the pipe. One problem that I have heard is that with regular riding the probes only last a few months. This can get expensive.

For my set up I run plug chops. I'm not sure how accurate these are on a 4T with CVT but someone else can chime in on that.

I DO run a cylnider head temp gauge. Remember...a 2T doesn't have a crank case so there is no "oil temp". I have one on my kittied GT after I soft seized at about 65 mph :shock: :shock: :shock:

As said above the probe sits under the plug. Just remember to remove the metal gasket from the plug first. I use a westach CHT that doesn't require any power. Really the hardest part about the install is fishing the probe wire and mounting the gauge.

I will not run another kitted bike without one!

Hopefully someone with more 4T experience will chime in!

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Westach linky
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/i ... stcht1.php

Total set up for me was right about $100
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Tee Jay

Post by Tee Jay »

Factoryeffex.com carries a 3 pack of temp stickers for 14.95. They are kinda like the guage on your BBQ propane tank. They are for motocross bikes. I put 2 of them on my 4 stroke Bajaj for a ride from San Diego to Las Vegas. One on the gear selector and one near the oil drain plug. They work great. Just stick em on a clean surface and thats it.
Buena Suerte!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Re: Engine gauge/thermometer?

Post by BuddyRaton »

Tee Jay wrote:Factoryeffex.com carries a 3 pack of temp stickers for 14.95. They are kinda like the guage on your BBQ propane tank. They are for motocross bikes. I put 2 of them on my 4 stroke Bajaj for a ride from San Diego to Las Vegas. One on the gear selector and one near the oil drain plug. They work great. Just stick em on a clean surface and thats it.
Buena Suerte!
Besides the accuracy....isn't it a bit difficult to read the engine temp when riding?
www.teamscootertrash.com

gearhead

Post by gearhead »

probably just check it at stop lights :shock:
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

gearhead wrote:probably just check it at stop lights :shock:
Or so you can see at what temp you blew up your motor!
www.teamscootertrash.com

gearhead

Post by gearhead »

at least when you get to your destination you can look at it real quick when you get off to see the temp
Dieselman

Post by Dieselman »

I purchased one of the dipstick thermometers some years ago for a highly modified Suzuki DR350 (bored out to 435cc by Thumper Racing). Stopped counting dollars after the cost of the mods exceeded $25,000.00. :cry: Hadn't thought of that in a while! Anyway back to the thermometer, there was only one company that made these back then, same company made them for the Honda's as well (cannot recall the co. who made them). Unless they have improved on them (alot) don't waste your money. The fit and finish was great, problem was the oil would manage to find it's way through the machined top area where the probe attached into the gauge area, once that happens the gauge is useless. You could tap the gauge after this happened and the needle would fluctuate across the entire temp. range. Another poster mentioned the lack of low and high markings on the probe, as he mentioned not a big deal just make your own marks using the OEM dipstick. Still harder to read than the OEM dipstick, especially so when the oil is fresh and still golden in color. My issue was not an isolated one, many others had the same problem. Not sure if this was problem was ever rectified by the manufacture of the gauge :?:
Cykaca

Post by Cykaca »

[quote="Dooglas"]The answer in hot weather is to keep moving, or shut down the engine if you can't.
I know this is true on air-cooled engines like the BMW or Ural, but isn't the Buddy's motor completly shrouded and the fan that provides the cooling air?
Never make me fret, Claudette.
Roy Orbison???? Anybody?????