Riding and spending: A match made in heaven?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gt1000

Riding and spending: A match made in heaven?

Post by gt1000 »

Over the course of the last few days, I've spent more than a little money on my riding habit.

As mentioned in my reply to Kraut's post, I had my 125 serviced and installed a Stebel horn. Horn plus installation set me back about $90 but the ability to be heard is priceless in city driving. This horn can wake the dead, scare small children and make unwitting cagers on cell phones wet their pants. How can you go wrong?

As I also mentioned in Kraut's post, I test drove a St. Tropez 150. If you're interested, you can read my impressions of the 150 in that thread. I also spent a good bit of time checking out the new Stellas (love the green) and a very nice Aprilia Sportcity 250. At under $5K, the Aprilia seems like a great deal. It's extremely comfortable, high quality and appears to be better equipped than the Vespa GTS. It uses the GTS engine but also has twin front discs with braided brake lines and a nice rear disc too. I need to test this bike some time.

I also stopped by my local Ducati, Vespa, Triumph and Bimota dealer and drooled over the new Ducs as well as a gorgeous black Vespa 150S, which was the single prettiest scooter I looked at all weekend. I was also very impressed with the new MP3 500, a very aggressive looking beast. Most impressive were the 4 Bimotas I looked at. They're pretty much fine art on 2 wheels, but I guess they should be since their prices range from $30K to $60K. But, if you have a Bimota shop near you. check them out or go to their website. Stunning.

Last but not least, I think I finally decided on a new helmet after trying on pretty much every helmet readily available in this country. I narrowed my brands down to Shoei and Shark, mainly because the RF1000 along with the Shark RSI, RSX and RSR2 seem to fit my oval big nosed head best. The Shoei, a really fine helmet, lost out due to it's heavier weight. The RSX felt better than the RSR2 and I really wanted one of these two fine helmets, but, the tip of my nose barely contacted the front of the RSX, so the longer oval shape of the RSI won out. I'm still not 100% sure but I've been wearing it around the house and, so far, no pressure points. It's light, beautifully made and has a really impressive finish. Hopefully it rides as well as it feels. If I decide to keep it I'll post a picture.

I think if I were buying a new scooter tomorrow, I'd choose a black Vespa S. I really love that bike.
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I am going to test ride the Vespa S next week. :D

Scooters + the internet = happy polianarchy :nerd:
ModBud #442
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It never ends.

If, on some level, you think that one scooter, one jacket, one helmet, or one of anything is enough, it's not. Buying a scooter doesn't sate the scooter lust; it feeds it. Once I got one and rode if for a while, I knew I'd want something different at some point. And I need several jackets for various conditions and, uh, moods. And 3 pairs of gloves. And a better helmet. And a leather seat. And some more accessories…

I'm still interested in and curious about many different rides; most are scoots, not motorcycles (though there are many of those I'd like, too). I also know I can't own 'em all. Or even most of 'em. Or even more than a couple... But I can dream, right?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kraut

Post by Kraut »

Hey Andy,

nothing wrong with spending this time of our economy. Hope the stimulus check from the gov is in the mail. :roll:
I too looked around for scooter and bike stuff. Found a new old helmet company called Marushin. They used to be available on the US market in the 70's and 80's.
Go to their Japanese website and you will see some cool designed helmets for a small budget.
I am currently reaching out to Germany to see if I can get one there shipped to the US.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

i don't even have a scoot yet and i've already racked up a few hundred on the accessories i want to get. first, on the italia 150, i'd change out the seat and grips to the coffee ones, get the requisite back rack and top case (the shop nearby has a picnic basket looking topcase that i have my eye on, of course both a full face and 3/4 helmet and riding gloves, and a jacket. and i've also got my eye on a pair of tinted aviator goggles. and i *think* that'd just about do me. :) oh wait, i'd want a scooter cover too. and maybe change out the tires...?
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I am going to need to spend some money on the scooter here soon. I want to get a riding jacket and an exhaust. I will be needing to get a second helmet. as well and while I am at it I am really thinking of going with a full face for myself too. I am still 400 miles away from my first service. I will probably hit that mid summer at my current riding rate.
Steven
Touting the benefit of the Buddy 50cc one post at a time
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

Truly, it never ends. If you ride every day, like I do, it helps to have at least 2 helmets. I decided to retire my old 3/4 helmet because I just don't wear it anymore, so a second full face was a natural choice. This new one has completely removable liners so I'll be able to keep it nice and fresh until it wears out. And wear out they do...my 3/4 is probably a full size larger now compared to when I bought it.

My attraction with the S is totally irrational, it makes no sense to replace my recently tuned up Buddy with a new small frame, so I won't. But, when I approach 5000 miles on my Buddy and my next full tuneup, maybe I'll seriously look at the S as a replacement.
Andy

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

gt1000 wrote: My attraction with the S is totally irrational, it makes no sense to replace my recently tuned up Buddy with a new small frame, so I won't. But, when I approach 5000 miles on my Buddy and my next full tuneup, maybe I'll seriously look at the S as a replacement.

Pfft..what has rational thinking got to do with it? Don't replace it...just add to the stable!

Our local riding group took a two stop shopping ride last weekend and I think everyone walked away with something!!!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
gt1000

Post by gt1000 »

BuddyRaton wrote:
gt1000 wrote: My attraction with the S is totally irrational, it makes no sense to replace my recently tuned up Buddy with a new small frame, so I won't. But, when I approach 5000 miles on my Buddy and my next full tuneup, maybe I'll seriously look at the S as a replacement.

Pfft..what has rational thinking got to do with it? Don't replace it...just add to the stable!

Our local riding group took a two stop shopping ride last weekend and I think everyone walked away with something!!!
That's the devil talking! Seriously though, if I had the space I would probably have 5 bikes of some sort. But, we live in an urban condo with one parking slot in a huge underground garage. Fortunately, our space has a column next to it so I actually have room for a car, a motorcycle and the Buddy. But, if I still had the 3 car garage we used to have in the suburbs? That would be dangerous. Sure, I'd keep the Buddy and Ducati but I'd almost certainly add a 250 or maxi scoot as well as a shifter, like a Stella, PX or vintage. And I'd add some sort of multipurpose bike, like a GS, KLR, Tiger or Hypermotard.

And then I'd start whining because I couldn't ride all of them enough...

But you're right, rational thinking has nothing to do with it. There's a good chance I'll start obsessing over the S, so at this point, I'm going to avoid all physical contact. But at the end of the season, when the sales begin? All bets are off.
Andy

Christy

Post by Christy »

the S is at the top of my list of scoots to check out if, for some reason, I don't like the Pamplona when I test ride tomorrow!
EPSP #76
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Kraut wrote:Hey Andy,

nothing wrong with spending this time of our economy. Hope the stimulus check from the gov is in the mail. :roll:
Give it to a good American company like Corazzo or Genuine. Don't let it fall into the hands of the kaiser (Or Paolo Timoni)

Don't do what I'm going to do with it, which is give it to a Canadian company (Costco) to buy a large Chinese-made TV from a Japanese company (Sharp). At least the guy getting paid minimum wage to check my receipt gets to keep his job.

Bb.[/quote]
Last edited by illnoise on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

illnoise wrote:Don't do what I'm going to do with it, which is give it to a Canadian company (Costco) to buy a large Chinese-made TV from a Japanese company (Sharp). At least the guy getting paid minimum wage to check my receipt gets to keep his job.

Bb.
edit: Oops, I looked it up, turns out Costco is American, or as American as Modest Mouse, anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Issaquah,_Washington
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

Whatever it is, IT MUST BE BLUE FOR ME!
"My Little Pony" It going to be the BLUEST SCOOT AROUND!
This is what I have so far (or is on the way, in the mail)
Attachments
BlueEverything.JPG
BlueEverything.JPG (8.78 KiB) Viewed 917 times