Interesting article

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Legend

Interesting article

Post by Legend »

Sorry if this has already been posted.....heres an interesting read from a journalist of all people. Take a gander and draw your own conclusions.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9087878/
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I do agree with many of the things they say, but saying you save 700 dollars a year on gas seems a bit low to me, but heck, I ride one, I love my gas mileage :lol:
DarbyWalters

Post by DarbyWalters »

It is a decent little blurb. Of course, prices have gone far past $3.00 per gallon now. Saving the miles on your 4 wheeler (I am not getting rid of one for the other) is also a plus. It will last longer and you can use it more efficiently. I have a Jeep Liberty CRD and just purchased the Lambretta DUE 50cc 2 Stoke. My average mpg (almost all city) with my Jeep was 21.5mpg (not that bad for a SUV but it is a Diesel). My Lambretta is now getting 125mpg consistenly and over the first 1200 miles it has average 121.4mpg. The average of the two together(for the first 20 days I have had both)...Jeep/Lambretta Hybrid...is 31.91mpg. That is a 51.9% increase in city mileage.

It has worked out that I am saving $3.89 per day (happens to be about the price of diesel...coincidence). If you take that times 365 days a year, I save $1419.85. That is significant! Even if I subtract the full coverage insurance of $240.00, I save $1179.85. As the weather gets even better, I am sure I will save much more. The fact that it is a two stroke also means I will not need an oil change in the Lambretta...EVER. I do have oil injection but it uses VERY LITTLE oil at all.

The fun factor is a BONUS!
Founder of www.LOSTKJs.com ... Jeep Liberty Forum

Lambretta UNO 150cc 4 Stroke...Hope I can still hang around here!

GY6B...4 Valve Head, 26mm carb, Oil Cooler, High Compression head...all Stock...64mpg Top End.
madtolive

Post by madtolive »

does this man mean to say that i can't wear a mini an no chones on my buddy? aw, shucks.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is one of the better scooter articles I've seen, probably because it was written by an actual scooterist (and, from the sound of things, a BBS member?).

article wrote:Because it's almost impossible to ride with your knees together on most bikes, a knee-length or shorter skirt will give everyone on the road a free show.
What? I'm shocked. ;)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
maribell

Post by maribell »

it's true. i wear leggings or jeans under all skirts/ dresses while i am riding. it's possible that some of the people on the road earlier this morning saw a lot of leg when i was riding in my business attire ( even then i had on black tights).
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I've been closely monitoring scooter stories in the news for many years now, and that's probably the most in-depth and useful scooter story I've ever read. I sent it to several friends who are hunting for scooters right now.

Huge props to the author and MSNBC for actually doing some research and bringing some experience to the obligatory spring "scooters are great" story, and not just rehashing a Piaggio press release.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

"A motorscooter is my past, present and future Harry Potter-
Tom Marvolo Riddle- I am Lord Motorscooter" (oops, two worlds collide) :lol: Ok, so Im too geeky to live :P But Im sure if my sister got a scooter, and had it theamed- it would be harry potter scooter.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

:shock: Valgal20, you're a laugh riot! :lol:

maribell, have you tried those "flesh colored" bike shorts underneath a skirt? It's a pretty hilarious way to ride. I of course wear something more substantial for my daily drive, but when one wants to say, wear a 60s mod-style minidress at a scooter rally, those shorts are a modesty saver. :D
Last edited by polianarchy on Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ModBud #442
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Valgal20 wrote:"A motorscooter is my past, present and future Harry Potter-
Tom Marvolo Riddle- I am Lord Motorscooter" (oops, two worlds collide) :lol: Ok, so Im too geeky to live :P But Im sure if my sister got a scooter, and had it theamed- it would be harry potter scooter.
We need to get a scooter quiddich league going. We tried it with soccer but it wasn't pretty:

http://www.2strokebuzz.com/features/110200.html
Valgal20

Post by Valgal20 »

OMG- SO (Because Im a hugantic H.P. Fan) I was totally thinking that riding a scooter must feel like your riding a Broomstick, Its like youre FLYING! And I took my sister up and down the street and she said the same! We are geektastic! :D
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Valgal20 wrote:riding a scooter must feel like your riding a Broomstick
Bajaj already milked that concept for their Discover DTS-i motorcycle:

http://2strokebuzz.com/index.php?p=119

if you click on that link, and click on "download goodies" on the top left, you can watch the movie.
redding

Post by redding »

Another great thing about (automatic) scooters: you can stick a 20-lb bag of cat litter, dog chow, or a case of beer on the floorboard and still ride. Hell, once I had a cat in a carrier on the floorboard, rode with my legs out, no problem, although the cat didn't seem to like it much.