Stella 1,000 mile review

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

poop colored buddy

Stella 1,000 mile review

Post by poop colored buddy »

well being a buddy proud owner of both a buddy and a new Stella, I have gotten a ton of requests asking me to relay my thoughts about Stella ownership from a buddy owners perspective. First off I have to make this crystal clear....a comparison is very difficult because in many ways they are TOTAL opposites, but appreciating both machines is easy.

Starting up the Stella is a bit of a process in compared to the buddy. The buddy is just twist a key, push a button and first time VROOM.
the Stella you have to turn the fuel system to the on position then pull out the choke. I always kick start mine, although it does have an electric start. First try never does anything, 95% of the time the second kick and CHUG CHUG CHUG she starts up, blowing out the fabulous plooms of blue smoke.

Many buddy owners knock shifting like crazy, which is wierd to me, its easy when you get the hang of it, and its classic and makes you feel more connected to your machine. Who would want an automatic old classic car!? The Stella for what it is shouldn't be made any other way. Making the Stella automatic would be like blasphemy (plus with shifting you can do wheelies through first and 2nd gear)

The Stella takes FOREVER to warm up

Storage is a joke, there is no underseat storage and you are limited to a small glovebox. You can get a rack in the rear though and put a trunk on if that's a hangup for you, I just carry a messenger bag.

The Stella feels heavy but contrary to belief not clunky. The sound of gear shifting is clunky, but the ride is smooth and so is the shifting.

Forget cornering like the buddy, forget it, you will be on your face before you can yell "I misss the buddy!"

You think the buddy gets looks!!? The Stella is almost annoying how much people approach you with it. Every light almost I hear the buzz of little automatic window motors as people lean out and say "how old is that thing!?"

The feel of the Stella is solid, not sporty, you can't push its limits.

Gas mileage is good, the buddy's is better.

The Stella is fast to top speed, no lag from an auto trans.

Top speed is about 57mph.

The gas guage is awful, its hard to tell when your low. On the plus side, there is a reserve switch!

Fit and finish is superior to the buddy.

The horn is loud.

The front brake is great the rear is not.

Riding with 2 people on the Stella is nice. There is a lot of seat room for 2 and room on the floor is big for 2 sets of feet. The manual seems to be less effected by the extra weight because you can compensate by the way you shift.

The weight of the Stella is not balanced. The motor is on the right side under the cowl, the left cowl hides the spare. When stopped I notice the bike leans to the left when in balance.

Over all I give the Stella a 9.5 out of 10

The dislikes aren't dislikes but more charming quirks that make the Stella special. There is no comparison to a modern style scoot like the buddy.

The buddy is cute, stylish, nimble, efficient in every way, great storage and fast.

The Stella is beautiful, fast, loud, smells like gas and oil, heavy and classic.

When riding the Stella I can't help but feel connected to the past. I feel like a true scooterists on it, representing the culture of scooting. The Stella is the way the buddy began, simple and stylish. The buddy is one of a kind, and the Stella is the reincarnate of the buddy's ancestors. I wouldn't trade the Stella for ANYTHING, and it is now my main ride. A garage with a buddy and a Stella is the perfect zen mix of scooters. What one scooter lacks the other embraces. The Stella is a beautiful machine.

Red eyes, white walls and blue smoke
the stellas mantra, the true mod culture.
I have the scoots!
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

great review. I totally get the comparison and want one even more now!!

It's interesting to see the storage comparison. I use my Buddy for commuting and don't know that giving up the storage would be too practical.

Your comparisons of sporty/fast compared to classic/solid seem to be what I'd expect.

Thanks for this post.
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

definitely a great review
Legend

Post by Legend »

good stuff......I was wondering about alot of your information. Although I really like the Stella and will def. get one before too long, I think that buddy is a better answer for my immediate needs.

Thanks for the review.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

[quote="Legend"]good stuff......I was wondering about alot of your information. Although I really like the Stella and will def. get one before too long, I think that buddy is a better answer for my immediate needs. /quote]

A buddy is definitely a better 'first scooter,' and probably the best 'first scooter' there is. For many there's no need for a second, but the Stella is a great choice.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
poop colored buddy

illnoise wrote:
Legend wrote:good stuff......I was wondering about alot of your information. Although I really like the Stella and will def. get one before too long, I think that buddy is a better answer for my immediate needs. /quote]

A buddy is definitely a better 'first scooter,' and probably the best 'first scooter' there is. For many there's no need for a second, but the Stella is a great choice.
perfectly said. the Stella is NOT a good choice for a first scooter.
I have the scoots!
LeafBlowerRider

Post by LeafBlowerRider »

Does the Stella fuel valve come with a reserve setting?

That would be nice.

Just a thought. You could ditch the spare and make a storage compartment out of it - right?

LBR
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

poop colored buddy wrote: perfectly said. the Stella is NOT a good choice for a first scooter.
Agreed. I got a Buddy first, then several months later a Stella. One note, though, the stock Stella tires* are terribly squirrely in corners, which may be why you mention that you can't corner like the Buddy. Change out the tires for Pirelli SL26s, or Conti Twists or Zippy 1s, or the like, and it dramatically changes the stability in corners. Now, it isn't as balanced as the Buddy nor can it lean as far over, but I love the way the Stella rides. It is much more of an experience to ride the Stella, but again like you mentioned it is a completely different beast than the Buddy so very hard to compare the two. The Buddy has more of a modern car feel, the Stella the vintage car ride and involvement.

*on my 03 they were Conti Zippy 3s. Not sure what the new ones come with.
Last edited by mlstephens on Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Thanks for the great review! Mine new Stella (Sarge) is still at the dealer waiting for the weather to improve enough to justify picking her up.

Didn't make since picking her up and have the first month or two of the warranty go by while she sits in the garage.
Dave

Post by Dave »

mlstephens wrote:
poop colored buddy wrote: perfectly said. the Stella is NOT a good choice for a first scooter.
Agreed. I got a Buddy first, then several months later a Stella. One note, though, the stock Stella tires* are terribly squirrely in corners, which may be why you mention that you can't corner like the Buddy. Change out the tires for Pirelli SL26s, or Conti Twists or Zippy 1s, or the like, and it dramatically changes the stability in corners. Now, it isn't as balanced as the Buddy nor can it lean as far over, but I love the way the Stella rides. It is much more of an experience to ride the Stella, but again like you mentioned it is a completely different beast than the Buddy so very hard to compare the two. The Buddy has more of a modern car feel, the Stella the vintage car ride and involvement.

*on my 03 they were Conti Zippy 3s. Not sure what the new ones come with.
Yep, the new Stellas, besides the olive green, come with the sportier Zippy 1s. Big Improvement! (except that the rears are mounted in the wrong direction. oops! Doubt that it makes a difference though)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Had I been able to buy a new one when I was scooter shopping 2 years ago, I'd have bought a Stella. Unless I find a deal I can't refuse on a vintage scoot (a deal so good I'd feel guilty taking it), a Stella will be our next scoot.

Oh yeah, that's if they bring them to CA. (Please, guys? I know you read the forums... I want to buy the first Stella sold in CA!)
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

LeafBlowerRider wrote:Does the Stella fuel valve come with a reserve setting?

That would be nice.

Just a thought. You could ditch the spare and make a storage compartment out of it - right?

LBR
Yes. The fuel petcock features a reserve.

Well, there really isn't any benefit to ditching the spare. There's not that much room in there, not to mention that the spare surrounds the battery. Plus, you'd have to pull the cowl to access that area. Just not worth the effort. You're better off getting a rear rack or carrying a courier bag. I commute with a bag and I love it.
-K
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
poop colored buddy

Kevin K wrote:
LeafBlowerRider wrote:Does the Stella fuel valve come with a reserve setting?

That would be nice.

LBR
Yes. The fuel petcock features a reserve.

Well, there really isn't any benefit to ditching the spare. There's not that much room in there, not to mention that the spare surrounds the battery. Plus, you'd have to pull the cowl to access that area. Just not worth the effort. You're better off getting a rear rack or carrying a courier bag. I commute with a bag and I love it.
-K
theres actually an after market cowl that has a glove box for storage on the spare side
I have the scoots!
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Carrying a spare is so awesome, knowing you can change a tire yourself in five minutes with a $3 tool is one of the coolest things about a Vespa, and something I really miss on new scooters. If you need storage, that's what the milk crate on the rear rack is for. Or the space between your legs! You can fit two large bags of kitty litter there!

(Oh no he's going to tell a story!) Once in Niagara Falls, I was riding a Super with four people on P-series Vespas and someone had a flat. My bike had 8" tires, and one of the Ps didn't have his spare, two had flat spares, and the other one had such a bent wheel, we couldn't get it on the bike.

Typical scooterists. I've bought probably 50 various vespa cables in my life and used ten of them. Of course whenever I need one, I have to sponge one off somebody because someone else sponged mine.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

if it wasn't for that darned black ice/out of control station wagon... I'd have 1K on my stella too... <sigh>

nice review, poop!

ps...if you take of the Shinko WW's, and throw some zippy1's, ContiTwists (if you can find them), or mich S1's on that scoot, your cornering/handling will improve a lot. I plan on riding off the lot already swapped, whenever Stella_3 gets here from wherever she is.
poop colored buddy

maryvu wrote:if it wasn't for that darned black ice/out of control station wagon... I'd have 1K on my stella too... <sigh>

nice review, poop!

ps...if you take of the Shinko WW's, and throw some zippy1's, ContiTwists (if you can find them), or mich S1's on that scoot, your cornering/handling will improve a lot. I plan on riding off the lot already swapped, whenever Stella_3 gets here from wherever she is.
yeah i know......but i love the WW's! they look so good.
I have the scoots!
maryvu

Post by maryvu »

the WW's on the buddy intl's look a lot better than the shinkos. maybe check those out? I think they're maxxis.

I put 70 miles on the Shinko's on stella_2, 2000 on conti3's on Stella_1. 4000 on buddy1's road/performance tire. I still feel less confident on the conti3's compared to buddy...but that can have a lot to do with Stella vs. buddy.

good luck, again. I'm sure there are some better handling WW's than the shinko's out there.
Christy

Post by Christy »

excellent and thorough review! almost makes me want to get a stella one day.
EPSP #76
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

Great review and you speak to the lot of the reasons I went with the Buddy. I love sporty. I love the fact that my scooter corners extremely well. With some stickier tires I know it will get even better. I am gonig to give it one summer and decide if I want to mod this or step up.

Enjoy the Stella. I really love the way they looked. If the only difference was the looks i would have bought a Stella in a heart beat.
Steven
Touting the benefit of the Buddy 50cc one post at a time
mlstephens

Post by mlstephens »

maryvu wrote:I still feel less confident on the conti3's compared to buddy...but that can have a lot to do with Stella vs. buddy.

The Zippy 3s are terrible, in my humble opinion, particularly with the weight of the Stella. The sidewalls are too soft, which makes them very uncomfortable going into corners. I was amazed at the difference by changing to Pirelli SL26s. I'll probably go to Zippy 1s or Twists next time, just to try something different, but changing away from the Zippy 3s will transform your Stella.
Keys

Post by Keys »

Have a buddy was running Zippys on his Stella. I was riding a Bajaj Chetak with Michelin S1's. Were were going the same speed (fast) through a corner on a rally. He used up the sidewall on his Conti's and wiped out. I still had tread left and was in no danger of falling.

Just an observation....if you want a traditional styled tire, the Michelin S1's will allow more lean than the Zippys during like spirited riding. May save your life in an emergency situation...

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Hey Buddy

Post by Hey Buddy »

I would agree with your comparison. I only have 300 miles on mine so far. The two things that caused me a little trouble were that the turn signal is on the right hand not the left like the Buddy. I think it also does not help that I have been wearing winter gloves with another pair of thin gloves under. I have gotten used to that now. It also took a while to get used to the rear foot brake. That is a very important function of the bike so I learned that with in the first 20 miles or so.
I really like having a manual. It is nice to be able to down shift when it starts to bog down going up a hill or to get extra power going around a corner.
I have Zippy 1's on my Stella and have not noticed much difference in the cornering between the Buddy. I have not pushed it too much yet but they seem like good tires, like everyone mentioned.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Hm... having a Zippy 1 put on the rear of my Vespa at this very moment. We shall see...
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
poop colored buddy

i couldnt agree more with you all, the rear has gotten squirelly on curves, almost hit the deck once, so i knocked it off and have slowed down on the curves, laying off leaning quite so much in them.
I have the scoots!
Legend

Post by Legend »

Granted I have only had my Stella for 3 days and 140 miles but I have not seen the she is hard to handle in the corners. Per haps it is because I am used to riding a Harley or possibley I am not being agressive enough in the corners to warrent her being squirrly but she handles just fine to me. I have no other scooter experience to compare it to but love the way she drives.

I am waiting to see if the power does increase and the MPG go up once she is broken in though. For now, I am a bit disappointed in those two items but overall, love the Stella.
"I have no fear of losing my life - if I have to save a koala or a crocodile or a kangaroo or a snake, mate, I will save it. "
Steve Irwin
twharton

Post by twharton »

Buddy was my first and then I bought a Stella clone...PX150 :D

Now that you have 1,000 miles on your Stella switch that stock muffler for a Sito+ and upgrade your air filter (at leas 'de-blue' it) and upjet and you will easily top out at 67-70 and cruise effortlessly to 60 like you do to 47-50 now.
twharton
Northwest, FL
"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could!"
poop colored buddy

twharton wrote:Buddy was my first and then I bought a Stella clone...PX150 :D

Now that you have 1,000 miles on your Stella switch that stock muffler for a Sito+ and upgrade your air filter (at leas 'de-blue' it) and upjet and you will easily top out at 67-70 and cruise effortlessly to 60 like you do to 47-50 now.
Great advice, consider it done.
I have the scoots!
poop colored buddy

Legend wrote:Granted I have only had my Stella for 3 days and 140 miles but I have not seen the she is hard to handle in the corners. Per haps it is because I am used to riding a Harley or possibley I am not being agressive enough in the corners to warrent her being squirrly but she handles just fine to me. I have no other scooter experience to compare it to but love the way she drives.

I am waiting to see if the power does increase and the MPG go up once she is broken in though. For now, I am a bit disappointed in those two items but overall, love the Stella.
Do you have white walls on it? Mine has the white walls and they blow, but look sexy. Let's ride the stella's! You live right by me!
I have the scoots!
Legend

Post by Legend »

No white walls yet....probley upgrade (if you call it that) when the existing tires wear out)

Lets ride. I am off at 5pm every night and have weekends open. There is a scooter rally coming up also on April 12th. I plan on riding down there 2 up with the girlfriend. Any time you want to ride, call me. That would be a blast.

I will PM you my number.
Steve Irwin
workhorse

Aftermarket storage cowl

Post by workhorse »

theres actually an after market cowl that has a glove box for storage on the spare side[/quote]

Do you know who makes this?

Thanks!
alienmeatsack

Post by alienmeatsack »

FWIW, here are some pics of the glovebox for those wondering about it...

Closed:

Open:

Back and Bottom:

It actually holds a lot more than people think. It's just no where near the capacity of the Buddy's under seat storage. You certainly cannot store a helmet in it.

That's what Piaggio (optional) helmet hooks are for.

Dead Bunny SC | Tumblr: spazscooter | Twitter: @SPAZ_Scooter | Twitter: @DeadBunnySC
email: spazscooter@gmail.com
PeterC

Buddy vs. Stella

Post by PeterC »

A great review, AMS; you nailed it! It's like the difference between a Toyota Camry and a vintage Bugatti, and vive le difference!