What's the poop on Genuine topcases? Any good?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

What's the poop on Genuine topcases? Any good?

Post by Drumwoulf »

ScooterWorks has a sale ($99) on Genuine topcases for the Buddy (but you must have the rear rack first). So all you guyz who own one, are they okay quality? And can you fit a helmet in one of them?

Thanks,
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

they have great function and style (matching the Buddy perfectly) BUT as far as actual quality it gets a B-/C+ For the price that's not really a bad rating. They will mount securely so you don't have to worry about that but they don't necessarily feel "expensive" (because they're not).
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Corsair pretty much said it all but there's also a ton of other threads here on this. here's one of them that has lots of info:

viewtopic.php?t=3043

and here's another:

viewtopic.php?t=1942
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

My dad has one he bought recently, I'd say it's B in quality, my only rants are that the Genuine logo likes to curl and fall off after it's been in use, and the back rest isnt soft, it's hard rubber/plastic.
Gimpy

Post by Gimpy »

I have a Genuine top case or trunk. They are a good looking but lightly built and a little flimsy. They serve the purpose and provide cargo space, but don't leave anything of value in it as they can be easily broken into.
My 3/4 helmet with face shield just barely fits, but it does fit. If I were to do it again, I would (and probably will) go with the Givi top case. You get better quality, the case is removable and you can get a brake light kit for it. Granted they are not color coordinated like the Genuine case and don't look quite as good but you get more bang for the buck.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

they look amazing! Quality is as mentioned above kind of crappy. I sport one though.
I have the scoots!
redcass

Post by redcass »

I have one to match my Italia, and I love how well it matches.

But yeah, it's pretty crappy, practically speaking. Last night it popped open while I was riding. :shock:
RedCass
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

jmazza wrote:Corsair pretty much said it all but there's also a ton of other threads here on this. here's one of them that has lots of info:

viewtopic.php?t=3043
and here's another:
viewtopic.php?t=1942
LOL! -Including a lot of previous stuff from me I'd forgotten about..! :lol:
I just got an email ad about the Buddy topcase being on sale at ScooterWorks, and immediately thot hey, a creme color matching case would be neat!
But better sense tells me to just switch off and on the Givi E30n case I have on my GT Vespa. All I need do is mount an extra Givi Universal plate (which I actually already have) on the Buddy accessory rack, and it would then be an easy 2-3 minutes to just switch the cases! 8)
Guess I answered my own question... :roll:
But thanks, :)
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Christy

Post by Christy »

my new scooter is coming with a genuine topcase. To tell ya the truth, I like their closing mechanism way better than the givi cases. I realize it may not be quite the quality but I REALLY like that they are color matched.

My full face helmet fits under the seat...

Now I just need to get a little clock for her. I always wished I knew the time when I was riding my old scooter.
EPSP #76
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Christy wrote:Now I just need to get a little clock for her. I always wished I knew the time when I was riding my old scooter.
I was gonna get one too... a clock that is. I know others on here have 'em, any preferences, or advice on what NOT to get? Are those stick-on ones @ Pepboys total crap? Just wondering...
redding

Post by redding »

Check out these guys for affordable clocks: http://www.formotionproducts.com/Stickons2.htm
zigzag

Post by zigzag »

I just started kickin' the tires on a new Italia and visited the local dealer this past weekend. When it came to talking about accessories, he tried to steer me away from the Genuine topcase because they're basically crap. Even though they've redesigned the hinges, they're still...$#%!

The dealer had a black plastic (vs fiberglass) topcase that is more durable, and removable (probably a Givi) but they didn't have any in stock to show me. Like everyone else around here, I'd prefer the OEM matching case, but if the thing is just going to break within a few months of use, why bother?

Hopefully Genuine will listen and come out with a decent top case.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I was gonna get one too... a clock that is. I know others on here have 'em, any preferences, or advice on what NOT to get? Are those stick-on ones @ Pepboys total crap? Just wondering...
You mentioned living in the ghetto, so whatever you get, don't get too attached to it. I've had my clock, horn, watter bottle, and flowers all stolen off my scooter at different times (and places!) over last summer. :roll:
ModBud #442
Liz C

Post by Liz C »

Topcase: Ditto on the looks v practicality issue. But I will say that I commute and shop with the Genuine topcase (which took me like a whole afternoon to install 'cause I was paranoid about the "loosening bolts" issue brought up in a previous thread) and also laid 'im down once and the ol' topcase kept on keepin on, snug as could be, with work papers in there even. So it's not like it's made of tissue paper. Still... wouldn't mind a quick-release with brakelight package..

BTW, my oil filters from Scooterworks arrived the other day - came with a box of Redhots. They got the brand thing figured out!
Check out my fave NSR website: http://schmitt-hall-studios.com/
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

polianarchy wrote:You mentioned living in the ghetto, so whatever you get, don't get too attached to it. I've had my clock, horn, watter bottle, and flowers all stolen off my scooter at different times (and places!) over last summer. :roll:
Yeah, it's a bad area, but when I'm at home I park in the back yard with the gate closed with my scooter cover on. It's still possible, especially @ work. I just don't want to get a watch, cuz I used to wear a lot of bracelets, but it got really annoying when I was putting my gloves on, so I gave them up. :?

I think a stick-on would be okay, nothin too fancy (in case it does get stolen), but I haven't found one that will look good on my Italia. Anyone seen a chrome stick-on clock with red & black/white accents? (preferably not digital since it's harder to read outside during the day)
Kurzer

Post by Kurzer »

I use one, but read all of the above and that sums it up.

My lid is too big to fit inside so that's out... anything I do put in there needs to be stout because it rattles and bounces around like it's in a blender.

I lined the inside with foam, that seemed to help out with the jarring of the contents. My next topcase mod will be to run a wire into there and hook up a switch and LED's so it will illuminate when it's open.
I don't do much modding on the scoot anymore, just riding :-)
AustrianOak

Post by AustrianOak »

Hello all. I've lurked on these forums for some time researching, you all have been very helpful in this. Fell in love with scooters after a trip to India thinking "Damn that looks fun" though I'm pretty sure not one of the billion people there have taken the motorcycyle safety class. I bought the light blue buddy last week from Vespa Portland (highly recommended). At first the color didn't quite appeal to me but once I saw it under better lighting I loved it.

Anyway, the reason I'm on this topic is that I'm curious as to the second half of the original posters question. Does a large helmet fit in the buddy topcase? I have a gigantic cranium, much to the concern of my pregnant wife, and the large helmet I've chosen just barely doesn't fit in the seat compartment. It will close but won't latch. Anybody have experience with this? I searched the other links and couldn't find this specific part of the topcase question being answered or mentioned

As for my new buddy, so far the weather here has been absolutely crappy, rainy and cold everyday. As a new rider I'm not comfortable taking her out to practice yet, plus I have a bunch of safety gear on back order. will post again after the infamous first ride.
Christy

Post by Christy »

my husbands large full face kbc helmet will NOT fit in my Genuine topcase.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

There are a number of other topcases out there which can be mounted on a Buddy. Most popular are the Givi cases which are good quality, come in a variety of sizes, and which can easily have brake light kits mounted in them.

They're a bit on the pricier side, but there are other brands out there which are probably a bit sturdier than the Genuine. And it shouldn't cost too much to get one painted to match your scoot if you so desire.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

As far as top cases go-SHAD! If your Buddy is black, even better. Cosmopolitan Motors has them for sale at fair prices-$60 on up. The trunk can also be removed like a brief case if needed. Very durable and they dont pop open if you jump the railroad tracks with stuff in them like some trunks. Also, clocks. I have a Formotion stick-on by the ignition switch. Excellent quality at $20. If I can figure out the camera Ill try and post pictures.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

Christy wrote:my husbands large full face kbc helmet will NOT fit in my Genuine topcase.

+1 on this. My XL full face (HJC) does not fit in either the top case or under the seat. Works just fine with the helmet hooks however...
Christy

Post by Christy »

Ed Hit wrote:My XL full face (HJC) does not fit in either the top case or under the seat. Works just fine with the helmet hooks however...
my small KBC full face does fit under the seat, but not on the helmet hooks.