automatic stella's in 2009

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

poop colored buddy

automatic stella's in 2009

Post by poop colored buddy »

Word on the street at STELLASPEED is that there is an automatic twist and go Stella for 09. This came straight from the mouth of Philip McCaleb. What do you all think about this? I've got my opinions but I won't say them quite yet. Would anyone buy one if it was an automatic?[/img]
I have the scoots!
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

boo! Personally Id go with the manual. Im sure genuine will sell a million of them though. Alot of people are intimidated by shifting.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd buy one, I just got a buddy so I dont think I will be buying a new book anytime soon, but I'm sure in 5-6 years they may still have this or a better "stella", I wanna see the 250cc LML be auto.
DouglasLive

Post by DouglasLive »

I'm in. :)
poop colored buddy

jfrost2 wrote:I'd buy one, I just got a buddy so I dont think I will be buying a new book anytime soon, but I'm sure in 5-6 years they may still have this or a better "stella", I wanna see the 250cc LML be auto.
That reminds me, the automatics may have a 200cc or greater 4t motor.
I have the scoots!
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

why the heck is Stella Speed not a part of this forum (it is a Genuine product after all). I say merge the two together 8)

There are soooo many people that want a Stella but wish that it was automatic. I'm sure it's going to be a 4 stroke though so maybe it will be available in CA?
lojical1

Post by lojical1 »

I think I would get the auto Stella in 2009. If I actually tried and enjoyed shifting, maybe I would get one with a manual. I don't understand though why people are treating an auto Stella like its blasphemy. Its a scooter under 4 grand. People act like someone suggested putting an automatic trans in a Lamborghini :shock:.

Maybe they will start calling it the Kobe scooter :lol:
"I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive."
-Spike Spiegel

If ur not scared u aint drivin' fast enough .
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

poop colored buddy wrote:That reminds me, the automatics may have a 200cc or greater 4t motor.
:shock: ... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Umm... I think if this is the case I would have to trade in my sweet Bud...
Unless I can pull a few more grand out OF MY BUTT to have 2 scoots!!!
(I'm still paying off my Buddy)

Maybe I can talk my mom into getting one, so she can ride with us...
then when she's not looking, I'll pull the ol' switcheroo. 8)
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

The Scootering story that recently publicized the 4-stroke LML is actually titled "GEARED SCOOTERS ARE GO."

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/viewto ... =40#302081

Obviously, Phil Mc. would know, but I haven't heard anything anywhere about an automatic LML Star, so I wonder if someone misquoted him or misunderstood what he said.

I'm sure if LML was making them, Genuine would be happy to sell them, there's a market. It just seems like a pretty big engineering challenge, but I guess so is making a 4-stroke engine. I certainly hope that if they are making an automatic, they also continue to offer the geared version, because it would be a shame to see the last geared scooter die.

That story also says a 250 is on the way. Being a 4-stroke, it might not be that much more powerful than an old Vespa P200, but that's still great news.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Just tracked down the post, it's referring to Just Gotta Scoot's podcast interview with Phil McC. from last month.

I didn't listen to the podcast (I just can't get into podcasts) but from the context of the post on Stellaspeed, it doesn't sound like a sure thing, like maybe they're working on figuring it out and hoping to have it for 2009. I'm sure they'd love to do it if it's possible.

Bryan
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
JokerJim

Post by JokerJim »

I would/will trade my Avocado Stella for an automatic. Especially if it's a 250cc.
Guess maybe i should just cover up the Stella and keep it at 19 miles until i hear more.

Joker
Mmmmm Crab Rangoon
Ms. Milan

Post by Ms. Milan »

I just sold me PX because I could no longer shift because of carpel tunnel. Its not bad on long rides, but in town, it would kill my hand. I would love a auto Stella. Let me start saving my pennies.
FLMINI1048

Post by FLMINI1048 »

I would definitely go for an auto Stella...but only if it's still a 2 stroke. a four stroke engine just wouldn't look right in the Stella.
Have a great day!

Mike
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'd like to see a stella redone with plastic body on the rear and the front still being metal since the front is so thin.

A stella with a half plastic and half metal body would be much lighter and probably get better gas mileage just because of the weight loss.

And 250cc, you;d be able to race down the highway and keep up with traffic easily! Sadly since I have a buddy now, like I said, I dont want to get rid of it just yet.
nissanman

Post by nissanman »

Why call it a stella then? Just make it a separate model. There is a reason the Lamborghini LM002 never really did well. As a Rover it would've sold. There's always room for another great scooter out there :)
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I wouldnt mind it being called any other name, as long as it has the same body shape, 100% the same, but with different mechanics, I'd still get one. I'm sure with different engine and such the body design inside may change, but hopefully the outside looks the same.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I could email Genuine but I don't think they'd tell me.

My guess is not automatic, but very likely the 4-stroke 250 manual at some point.

Also, someone reported more Stellas en route to arrive in dealers in May. This may be the 2008 Stellas. If so, these may actually be CA-legal. If the choice was between a 2-stroke manual 150 and a 4-stroke auto 250? I'll take the 150, thanks!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corsair wrote:why the heck is Stella Speed not a part of this forum (it is a Genuine product after all). I say merge the two together 8)

There are soooo many people that want a Stella but wish that it was automatic. I'm sure it's going to be a 4 stroke though so maybe it will be available in CA?
Stella Speed was around before ModernBuddy. And, for the most part, I don't see much interest in the PGO-based Genuine twist & go scoots there. I lurk over there, but don't post. With all the Stella interest over here, and with several members here owning or buying Stellas, maybe we'll just do a link exchange or something like that.

Check out the replies your your questions about 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke in the other thread... BUT, a 2 stroke California Stella is not so far-fetched... Every time I walk into my local dealer, he starts by telling me, "No Stella news. Yet. But..." Then he kind of smiles and shrugs and tells me how the Buddys have been selling.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
NathanielSalzman

Post by NathanielSalzman »

If there is an auto, I would hope it's an OPTION. Give folks who can't stomach the shifting a truly classic scoot, but leave shifting available for the purists. I can't imagine not shifting my P200 - that's half it's charm. It makes sense for the US market though. People just don't know how to drive stick anymore. I love the easy riding of the Buddy simply because of its twist-n-go nature, but it's that distinction that gives an old style metal body shifter scoot part of it's mojo. It would be a real shame if the shifter scoot truly went extinct.
Nathaniel Salzman | Founding Editor at ScooterFile.com
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

ericalm wrote:...a 2 stroke California Stella is not so far-fetched...
Though not as likely as a 4-stroke CARB Stella. :wink:
BGK

Post by BGK »

NathanielSalzman wrote:It makes sense for the US market though.
It makes sense for any market. Vespa didn't cut production of the PX due to declining US consumption. Wanting easier and modern is a universal thing. I think it's more uniquely american to somehow want both, to have cake and eat it too so to speak.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

jfrost2 wrote:I wouldnt mind it being called any other name, as long as it has the same body shape, 100% the same, but with different mechanics, I'd still get one. I'm sure with different engine and such the body design inside may change, but hopefully the outside looks the same.
Either change it just enough to give it a different name, or keep it the same & have auto be an option, like NathanielSalzman said. I think they could come up with a cool variation on the Stella and have it be auto only... as long as they maintain the classic looks. I would definitely want to keep all metal body, maybe have a bigger scoot with like at least 250cc and make it more of a two-person model... maybe more ROUND than the Stella? At least make one with big smooth cowls so I can do pictures on them!!! 8)

http://www.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/ ... 2_Full.jpg

http://www.vintagescooterworld.com/Imag ... e_zoom.jpg

I dunno how the cowls are gonna do with the 4T, but it couldn't be THAT hard, could it?
poop colored buddy

ericalm wrote: If the choice was between a 2-stroke manual 150 and a 4-stroke auto 250? I'll take the 150, thanks!
and thats what makes you awesome.
I have the scoots!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

an automatic stella would work for me! My dream is to have a vintage styled, metal, 4 stroke (earth friendly), automatic. I do almost all city driving and don't need the hassle of shifting. Enough people have told me shifting is a pain in the arse if you are an urban warrior like me. I have drooled over the stellas, but ruled them out b/c of the emissions and shifting. Also it seems to be quite the process to get them moving and keep them happy, whereas Buddy tolerates all kinds of injustice. From a style perspective a vintage vespa melts my heart but Stella is a runner up. I'd have a hell of a time giving up Buddy though. If this pans out, Vespa 150 will be in trouble!
Roose Hurro

Options...

Post by Roose Hurro »

As Ms. Milan stated, people with carpal tunnel, and other joint/tendon injuries or conditions, would find a manual shift difficult and painful, if not impossible to use. But these people still like the look and feel of a classic scoot... should they be denied? No. I like the idea of an auto trans being optional. I also like the idea of having both a 2T and 4T option, as well. Better yet would be a sequential manual shift... four gears, no clutch, push-button or switch-activated gear selection. And, most important of all, for me... a rear brake lever on the left grip. I have a bum right leg, and a problem with cramps... I cannot use my right foot on a brake pedal (I left-foot brake in my car), and I need both feet free and flat-footed, to balance the scoot, in case one leg or the other cramps on me. This, unfortunately, limits my choice of two-wheeled transport. I would love to have a Stella with a 250cc 4T, though I would have no problem with a 150-200 2T, if it came with autolube... in either case, I would really like something in the way of a geared semi-auto (with a centrifical clutch), rather than a belt driven CVT. It would also help if the seat was low and the floorboards and/or seat were narrowed, so my 30" inseam could allow me to flatfoot.

That would be great!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5 bud7

Post by 5 bud7 »

When I had my honda trail 90, I rode with a friend with a elite 80 twist and go. I was a bit faster on the straights, but in heavy traffic or curvey twisty roads he would leave me easily behind. the reason for this is he was always in the right gear and I was always shifting . after 20 years of rideing the honda , it was modern tech of the elite that beat me.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

The reason I'd prefer a manual is that, for me, owning a Stella or vintage scoot isn't just about aesthetics, it's about the experience. I feel as if I'd lose something by riding a vintage-modern-automatic, like that nostalgic connection with scooters of the past that got me into the whole thing in the first place had been somehow corrupted.

Also, the Stella would be my second scoot, my weekend and occasionally during the week when I felt like it ride. For an every day commuter? Yeah, I'd stick with an auto.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

ericalm wrote:The reason I'd prefer a manual is that, for me, owning a Stella or vintage scoot isn't just about aesthetics, it's about the experience.
well.I think it IS about the aesthetics. That and I live in a condo (so how many scoots can I have? I have no skills or place to work on one either), I ride urban, want style and metel, refuse to pay new Vespa prices, and need twist and go!

When the H*** are we going to hear something about this? I am beginning to think we will not get an 09 Stella 4 stroke. I will be equally ticked off if they sell G max's as the 200cc promised. They are not really attractive bikes. They look like a boys dirt bike :x
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:
ericalm wrote:The reason I'd prefer a manual is that, for me, owning a Stella or vintage scoot isn't just about aesthetics, it's about the experience.
well.I think it IS about the aesthetics. That and I live in a condo (so how many scoots can I have? I have no skills or place to work on one either), I ride urban, want style and metel, refuse to pay new Vespa prices, and need twist and go!

When the H*** are we going to hear something about this? I am beginning to think we will not get an 09 Stella 4 stroke. I will be equally ticked off if they sell G max's as the 200cc promised. They are not really attractive bikes. They look like a boys dirt bike :x
I think we'll know about some of the Genuine '09 models in the next few weeks. I'm not counting on an announcement of a new Stella anytime soon. Genuine's not going to rush a product to market, even if it takes a couple years to get it right. They're selling enough Buddys that they can take their time to come up with a killer scoot.

Converting a Stella to a 200cc or 250cc auto means a lot of development to create a product that will basically compete with the Vespa GTS. They have to come up with something that compares favorably in terms of performance, passes all the environmental regs, and has the right price to attract people like me (who'd rather have a manual), new scooterists, and people who want a GTS but don't want to pay the price for one. Despite what I said earlier in the thread, I would seriously consider buying an auto Stella, especially if I could still use P-series accessories on it.

As far as the other 200cc Genuine scooter, well there is definitely one coming for '09, and it may or may not be a Blur. I suspect we'll know about that before Stella plans are announced. A 200cc Blur would sell better now than a couple years ago, IMHO. I'm not a fan of the style either but the scooter market is expanding to include a lot of would-be buyers and current owners who aren't as attached to "classic" scooter styles as some of us. The new Zuma is going to be a hit, I predict. A 200cc sport-scooter option from Genuine would be a welcome addition to their lineup, offering something up the ladder for the Rattler and Roughhouse market.

Genuine has more stuff in the works. I don't know what, specifically,
but it's been strongly suggested that there are some surprises up their sleeves. Given that the only persistent rumors have been the mystery 200cc scooter and the 4-stroke Stella, anything else will be a complete surprise. It's my guess there may be one or two other introductions at some point for '09… I also wouldn't count out the possibility of mid-year introductions, though that's never been suggested to me. It's just possible.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

by all reviews the Blur is a great bike, it just lacks character IMO. I could maybe ride a masculine looking scoot like the late big Ruckas b/c it is over the top funky, but the Blur/ Gmax is a 20 something boy bike. Who is the market for Genuine? If I were Vespa I would be shaking in my boots if those Stellas becomes a reality. They are real beauties even if automatic. I am beginning to think the Stella won't happen this year-how could stories and pics not leak out?
My guess is they will rebadge a PGO gmax as a Blur 200 and call it day. :?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:I am beginning to think the Stella won't happen this year-how could stories and pics not leak out?
Easy! They look just like a Stella and are produced at a factory in India. For all we know there could be a prototype sitting in Chicago, hidden away like the Arc of the Covenant.

When the Stella re-introduction was announced last year, it had been rumored but there were no leaks until it was officially announced to dealers and pics were sent out. Some had obviously been produced (though not shipped) at that time, so there were pics from LML.

LML doesn't have an engine for the auto Stella 200/250 so there is some speculation about where that might come from. (Some have already guessed PGO.) That might further delay or complicate the development.

I like not knowing and guessing. It's like Apple product speculation—all good fun.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I think I would like the PGO engine in the Stella body. Sweet! Logistically it sounds like a pipe dream. I wonder where the lab-or-a-tory (use Frankenstein voice) would be? India or Taiwan? or Chicago....
Eazy

Post by Eazy »

I hope they don't make an automatic. The number one thing I love about the p-series/Stella in today's scooter crazed world is the exclusivity. I can ride around for a long time and not see another Stella or P, and if I do it's because me and a friend met up for coffee or something. The automatic version would just take that.

Although, a 4 stroke would be pretty awesome, especially a 250cc. I've been considering picking up a chetak as a daily.
-Ian Follow Me
'08 Genuine Stella - "totaled"
'06 Honda Elite 80 - "bullet proof"
Eazy Scoots.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

While I would have loved to keep it in the Genuine family, I need to let the dream die and move on with my life. In the cross hairs for a more powerful, but still urban ride:

Sym HD 200 (why are you so ugly though?). These things are getting outstanding reviews. It gets better MPG, is faster than the competition. I was suprised the seat hieght was not too tall either.

used Vespa 250. a long shot

maybe wait and see what else may come along. I am in no rush.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:In the cross hairs for a more powerful, but still urban ride:

Sym HD 200 (why are you so ugly though?). These things are getting outstanding reviews. It gets better MPG, is faster than the competition. I was suprised the seat hieght was not too tall either.

used Vespa 250. a long shot

maybe wait and see what else may come along. I am in no rush.
More powerful than your People 200 or more powerful than your Buddy? For another 200, I'd recommend looking at the Aprilia Scarabeo 200. (I agree on the SYM being kind of ugly.) The SportCity 250 is also a good scoot (same engine as Vespa 250) but has a more "modern scooter" look. Both are priced much less than their Vespa counterparts.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I like the Aprilia. I hard it is hard to get parts and it is kind of getting phased out. It is not a common bike around here. I think they may be kind of tall too. I like some of the BV's...but again height is an issue.

The SYM HD200 is more powerful the the People S200. The seat is a bit lower too. I just took the S200 on the interstate for a few miles. There was no power to spare, and it was still not as fun as I thought it would be. So a 250 may not be essential if I am hardly ever going to go on the highway.

For it's size (I think the engine is 172cc, but some newer technology really puts it ahead of the pack), the Sym HD seems to be a leader. Why on earth it has to be ugly I do not know. :roll: I will say IMO the ugliness if from the front. I am getting used to the modern, big wheel, Euro look from the side.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:I like the Aprilia. I hard it is hard to get parts and it is kind of getting phased out. It is not a common bike around here. I think they may be kind of tall too. I like some of the BV's...but again height is an issue.

The SYM HD200 is more powerful the the People S200. The seat is a bit lower too. I just took the S200 on the interstate for a few miles. There was no power to spare, and it was still not as fun as I thought it would be. So a 250 may not be essential if I am hardly ever going to go on the highway.

For it's size (I think the engine is 172cc, but some newer technology really puts it ahead of the pack), the Sym HD seems to be a leader. Why on earth it has to be ugly I do not know. :roll: I will say IMO the ugliness if from the front. I am getting used to the modern, big wheel, Euro look from the side.
The Aprilia Scarabeo is a brand new model and isn't getting phased out. Parts availability is better than it used to be but about the same as it is for most scooters—not so great. The upside is that a lot of GT200 parts will work. I have just started seeing these around recently, mostly because the local Vespa/Piaggio dealers didn't carry Aprilias until this year. The Scarabeo 500 is the only scooter that size that I like the looks of, though the BV has improved over the years.

SYM HD200 owners really love the scooter. Aesthetically, I prefer the Kymco People S250 and even the SYM Citycom 300i. In terms of power for your dollar, though, looks like the HD200 wins.

And there's that mystery Genuine 200…!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

that Genuine 200 will be a Blur or Gmax-a big ugly boy bike. Yes it will be of good quality with great performance, but not something I want to drive around. Genuine needs to get a graduate from buddy bike ASAP. not all of us want to pay Vespa prices. One of the key points of scootering is to be economical. I am a professional 40 y.o women, do I really want to pull up in a orange Blur to a business meeting?

I want to steer around Vespa/Aprilia/BV 200 products. It seems the 250's do better mechanically, MPG, performance wise.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:Genuine needs to get a graduate from buddy bike ASAP. not all of us want to pay Vespa prices.
Why wouldn't an automatic Stella 200/250 fit the bill for that?

I doubt PGO would produce a classically-styled 200 or bigger. The BuBu/Buddy is really the exception among their designs, not the standard.

For all we know, Genuine could be partnering with a 3rd company, some unknown entity, for production of some new model. I can't really think of any companies not distributed in the US (with exception of Piaggio's Gilera and Derbi, maybe Italjet) that have anything good to offer but who knows? They may strike some kind of development and production deal with a known, existing company for a product to be distributed in the US as a Genuine. (Highly unlikely.)
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

a 200-250 stella is my dream machine. affordable, stylish -nimble for my urban driving but fast enough to avoid death by suv in the suburbs-even better-sturdy enough to jump on the interstate a few exits.

it is a pipe dream. Once you realize it is reality like the 5 stages of death, you will feel better, free.

1. Denial

On being told that one is will not get an automatic Stella, there is an initial reaction of shock. The rider may appear dazed at first and may then refuse to believe the diagnosis or deny that anything is wrong. Some riders never pass beyond this stage and may go from dealer to dealer, forum to forum, until they find one who supports their position. They believe the cure exists in a secret factory, where no photography is allowed.

2. Anger

scooterer becomes frustrated, irritable and angry that they may not get this bike. A common response is,” Why me? ” They may become angry at God, their fate, a friend, or a family member. The anger may be displaced onto the dealer staff who are blamed for lack of CVT Stella (when Genunie is really to blame for spreading false hope)

3. Bargaining

The rider may attempt to negotiate with dealer, loved ones, friends or even God/higher powers of choice, that in return for a cure (CVT Stella), the person will fulfill one or many promises, such as giving to charity or reaffirm an earlier faith in God or other power.

4. Depression

The patient shows clinical signs of depression- withdrawal, psychomotor retardation, sleep disturbances, hopelessness and possibly suicidal ideation. The depression may be a reaction to the effects of the Stellalessness on his or her life or it may be in anticipation of the approaching ugly scooter they will need to get.

5. Acceptance

I am sort of in stage 5.
Eric is in stage one still :lol:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

peabody99 wrote:I am sort of in stage 5.
Eric is in stage one still :lol:
I already went through all 5 and am now at 6, which is I've been predicting this for so long that now I feel all I can do is enlist others to believe and possibly will the auto Stella (well, any 50-state Stella, really) into existence or, at the very least, continue sending Genuine the message that there is demand for such a thing. Actually, maybe I regressed to 3 and that's Bargaining of a sort. But I never got angry, won't get depressed—we already have 2 scooters we love at my house—and am too obstinate for acceptance.

:?
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Step - 7

Get a Stella. Nothing special...just a regular old (easily available and on-sale at P.O.C.) Stella.

Ride it...

love it for what it is.

Different.

My Stella (and all my shifters for that matter) give me what none of my autos can give me, responsibility.

It's up to me to work the clutch.
It's up to me to shift it right.
It's up to me to adjust the cables.
It's up to me to check the plug.
It's up to me to add the oil.
It's up to me to clean the carb.
It's up to me to keep it cherry.

It takes a little work, but it's the only thing that does what it does...and looks how it looks. Which is to say, perfect.

So what if it can't go over 60?

If I rail on it, the front wheel comes up, and that's cool.
When I drive by people they smile and point, and that's cool.
People ask me if I restored it myself, and that's cool.
Girls ask me for rides, and that's cool.
I kickstart it every single time, and that's cool.
Attachments
zzzz.JPG
zzzz.JPG (54.75 KiB) Viewed 4765 times
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

the problem is I would have to have YOU do all that stuff to mine, and it is not longer a cheap bike. I guess the reality is since I committed to a scooter being my main ride, I need it to be the most reliable thing out there and not a sweet piece of art that may or may not want to come to life when I tear out the door every morning.

I respoect that people like to tinker with things, but it just doesn't work for me. So I guess I am not worthy :cry:

Plus If I take the plunge again I want something slightly more powerful than the Bud. The whole 200 thing in the rumor was a big seller too.
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

Hang tight for a little while... I think early spring may hold some new options for you....

:wink: :wink:

Ok, now where did I put that sawzall?
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
Roose Hurro

Hey, Stella...!

Post by Roose Hurro »

I'd just be happy to see the Stella available in California, preferably with a 200cc engine (2T or 4T), at the very least... shifter or twist 'n go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I have not spent much time sitting on a Stella of the center stand. I went today...and it really is not the best fit for me. I am suprised they are rather tall. Off the center stand, only the balls of my feet were touching the ground with heeled boots no less. I felt like I would have to bend over a little to ride. They are on sale at Pride of Cleveland...lots of colors. The blue is a beauty. If someone has been looking, this is the time.

All things being the same-height, seating position etc, I would have to be really honest w/ myself if it came in automatic 200...would it really be a good fit for the amount of time I spend on a scooter? I fit better on the Buddy, and in the bigger bikes the Sym HD200, and Vespa GT/GTS than on the Stella.

I am in no way a fashionista or label snob. Heck I went all out Buddy in 06 when no one had them and I had to explain it was not chinese and I did not buy it off the internets. Still I think I would feel un pretty riding around that Sym, which by all accounts is an excellent bike... I never ,ever fail to smile when I walk up to the Buddy, and that says something.

Genuine meeting is this weekend. Lets hope someone has an in and can tell us what to expect. PM's with pics are welcome and appreciated :D I will try and keep an open mind about whatever PGO is being rebadged. Look how well the Bubu turned out.
rtaite

DI Kit

Post by rtaite »

I have a more fundamental philosophical question: why is there no Direct Injection kit for 2 stroke steel body scooters?

Instead of going the four stroke route, just have Orbital create a DI kit for PX model Vespas and their Indian clones or even sell a complete engine -- soup to nuts.

Here is the reason: a four stroke steel body scoot will NEVER feel the same as a low end torque-y two stroke. And for those who like it, how can you replace that with a four stroke? The CVT may appeal to some, but I don't know how you can get around the feel of a 2 stroke.

If Orbital, LML and possibly Piaggio partnered on a 150cc PX and PX clone direct injection kit, you would have tremendous business synergy going.

1) A DI Stella/Vespa PX could easily pass even the tightest emissions regulations with only a catalytic converter added.

2) It would get much better fuel economy because of the direct fuel injection.

3) The engine's usable life would also increase because of DI -- it is a poorly kept secret that fuel injection has increased the engine life of virtually all internal combustion applications where it is used.

4) Also, if the overall solution was bolt on it would give old school Vespa restorers a new avenue to breathe new life into old bikes in addition to giving them more power and instant throttle response.

5) Cleaner emissions and higher mpgs would also "green" up the image of this iconic Italian design.

This is clearly one thing I don't understand. It seems like such an obvious fit and the only real win-win to keeping 2 stroke metal scooters alive. And because of the popularity of this design, there would be a long-term guaranteed market for these engines.

Ralph
1cyl

Post by 1cyl »

Converting 2-stroke Vespas and clones to EFI would most certainly make 'em loose their character. :roll:

The majority do their own maintenance and repairs, not to mention the hop-ups a modifications. I seriously doubt present owners of vintage tin would care to have their prized scoots in repair shops for the constant re-mapping necessary every time they made a change. The simplicity of the PX and others are a major part of their popularity and charm. :wink:

Somehow, I cannot envision a maintenance-free twist 'n go Stella.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

1cyl wrote:Somehow, I cannot envision a maintenance-free twist 'n go Stella.
Imagine a Vespa GTS 250ie in a PX body. It's certainly doable.
1cyl

Post by 1cyl »

ericalm wrote:
1cyl wrote:Somehow, I cannot envision a maintenance-free twist 'n go Stella.
Imagine a Vespa GTS 250ie in a PX body. It's certainly doable.
Hmmm. Let's see, where will the radiator go? With a CVT, will the rider still be able to turn-off the manual fuel tap, lay the scooter on it's right side in the grass, and change a rear tire in a matter of minutes utilizing the onboard spare and one wrench from his/her tool kit? Will he/her be able to throw a new cylinder kit on it with the engine still in the scoot? NO. :shock:

So, if lotsof people want a metal scooter with all the convienences of an automatic, EFI, and CA-CARB certification... why not buy the GTS 250ie and leave the Stella as-is? :wink:
Last edited by 1cyl on Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.