Wheel balance?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

sotied

Wheel balance?

Post by sotied »

Do Buddys need to have their wheels balanced?

I don't have a shimmy or wobble but do notice that I'm unwilling to remove one hand from the bars when I'm going more than 30 because there is some vibration in the front end.

When I say "some" I mean that it's minimal, but maybe other people's scoots don't have any vibration in the front end at all.

If that's the case, I think I should have my dealer take a look or a test ride to be sure all is OK with Scootle.

It might just be a case of me not knowing any better so I could think the vibration is normal.

Thanks.
Jeff • #2163
Scooter Photo Scavenger Hunter (see Gallery!)
http://www.jeffcutler.com
sotied

Post by sotied »

Could it be my tire pressure?

Just went to the basement and Scootle had 26 in the rear and 24 in the front.

Put both up to 31. Unfortunately it's raining here now (was gorgeous all day) so I can't test my theory.
sotied

Post by sotied »

No responses? I did a wheel balance search and got nothing definitive.

Anyone know?

Thanks,

Jeff
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Sounds like tire pressure was maybe your problem, but I've been wondering about balance too. Someone asked a few weeks ago, and no one answered.

Anyone know?
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
sotied

Post by sotied »

I'll definitely take Scootle out tomorrow AM when I go to breakfast. Will put her through her slow-speed and high-speed paces to see if upping the pressure solved the issue.

If that did it, I'll be slightly surprised because my 500-mile service was last Friday and I figure for the $100 fee I should have probably gotten a look-see at tire pressure.

Maybe they did look and I'm living in bizarro world where when it gets hotter the tire pressures drop.

But seriously, I'd rather not go all the way back down to have them search for an issue if there is none. Will post my findings after breakfast.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

I know this issued has been raised on Stellaspeed before and the consensus was scooter tires, because of their size, did not need to be balanced.
Is the tire pressure really supposed to be as high as 31?
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
Campbell990

Post by Campbell990 »

The manufacturer recommends 30 psi. on the Buddy.
sotied

Post by sotied »

Johnny wrote:I know this issued has been raised on Stellaspeed before and the consensus was scooter tires, because of their size, did not need to be balanced.
Is the tire pressure really supposed to be as high as 31?
Pumped it with the bike pump to 31 so when I removed the pump it would drop to 30 or so with the rush of air. I guess I could just go to a gas station but I don't want to spend too much time there. That's one of the reasons I got Scootle in the first place.

:D
Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

my bro's kymco 125 needed his front wheel balanced. alotta vibes

I have my own balancer. I have never balanced nor felt the need to balance my bud hoops
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

My mech balances tires by bouncing them.

When discussing PSI, be sure to specify what kind of tires you have on your Buddy. There are even several different stock tires on various years and models now, some of which will have differences in recommended PSI. One of many reasons to follow the tire manufacturer's recommendation, not whatever's in the Buddy manual.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

ericalm wrote: One of many reasons to follow the tire manufacturer's recommendation, not whatever's in the Buddy manual.
If the tires are stock to that model, the sticker ON THE BIKE should be correct, right?

And by "Manufacturer's Recommendations" you don't mean the number printed on the sidewall, right? I think that's usually the "Max inflation" value and totally unrelated to the application (it would be too high), right?

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:
ericalm wrote: One of many reasons to follow the tire manufacturer's recommendation, not whatever's in the Buddy manual.
If the tires are stock to that model, the sticker ON THE BIKE should be correct, right?
Yup. I think. Well, it should.

And yes—not the MAX inflation on the tires! That's asking for trouble!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
djelliott

Post by djelliott »

You could use wheel balancing powder. Some companies make it for motorcycles and scooters.

http://www.chemco.ca/Products/Wheel_Bal ... powder.htm

DJE
Prima pipe
UNI filter
125 Main Jet
2000RPM Stall Spring
1500RPM Clutch Springs
Dr. Pulley Variator with 11 Gram Sliders
NCY Front Forks
Prima/NCY 161cc Big Bore kit With 150 Head
KS Power GY6 Performance Springs
NCY Secondary Shieve
sotied

Post by sotied »

Well, I went out and put a BUNCH of miles on Scootle today at the higher pressure.

And they were inflated to 30ish instead of the 24-26 they were at last night.

Wobble is still there but WAY LESS noticeable.

I now think it's an up and down movement and less side to side. But as I said earlier, it's tiny. It makes me nervous to take a hand off the bars if I'm going 35+, but otherwise I'm fine riding one-handed.

Jeff