Buddys in UK?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Lina

Buddys in UK?

Post by Lina »

Hi, does anybosy know where I can get a genuine buddy scooter (50cc) in the UK? Do they have a different distribution name or something? If anyone knows anything it would hugely appreciated; they are exactly what I'm looking for. :)

Thanks,
Lina
louie

Post by louie »

do a search through PGO, they're the ones that manufacture the buddy but i think the genuine brand is only sold in the US.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

The Buddy name is used by the US importer Genuine Scooters as "louie" said. In Asia PGO calls this model the BuBu at both 50 and 125 cc's (hopefully the name means something different in Chinese than it does in English). In Canada I believe this model PGO is called the Metro. When I googled a PGO site in Britain I noticed the PGO Rodoshow 50 appeared to be the same scoot but I did not see a 125. There are probably some different model names out there as well.
Lina

Post by Lina »

Brilliant, thanks this has been a huge help. I found the rodoshow 50 (50cc is fine for me, I'm new to scooters), it doesn't look as flash as the buddy or canadian metro, but it's still very nice. I'll keep looking for other PGO scooters, but (at the risk of sounding quite dumb) can I only buy the UK versions in the UK, or could I purchase the canadian? I assume I prob can't but thought I'd check.

Also, these scooters seem great as they're light (I'm very small) - do you think they're good starter bikes? They seem like they could be to me, but I'm not a pro. :)

Thanks guys, helped loads.

Lina
jperkins

scooters

Post by jperkins »

I believe the model you are looking for is the PGO Ligero 50
Lina

Post by Lina »

I believe you're right. It's stunning. Can I get that in the UK?? I've been looking but so far have nothing. :(
jperkins

europe

Post by jperkins »

That is the name it is sold at in Europe, I believe you should be able to get it
8 ACES

Post by 8 ACES »

Get at least a 125 cc. You will outgrow a 50 cc pretty quickly. I actually think that a 50 cc is kind of dangerous because of slow pick up and slow response time. Just my two cents. Good luck what ever you do.
Ducati GT 1000
Buddy Italia 125

My Tank Is Half Full!!
Lina

Post by Lina »

Hi, I would get a 125 or bigger, but in the UK you need a motorcycle licence to ride it. With a 50cc I can get away with just CBT, which is like a half day road safety thing where they just make you go around cones and stuff. I don't drive either.

If you get something de-restricted it makes it faster though, right? Couldn't I do that after a few months?
Younescito

Post by Younescito »

Lina wrote:Hi, I would get a 125 or bigger, but in the UK you need a motorcycle licence to ride it. With a 50cc I can get away with just CBT, which is like a half day road safety thing where they just make you go around cones and stuff. I don't drive either.

If you get something de-restricted it makes it faster though, right? Couldn't I do that after a few months?
Yes you can. I am in montreal and we just received the PGO metro. I just got a 50cc (would like to get the 125cc but I don't have a moto driver's licence so... had to go with the 50cc since the DL takes 8 months in quebec...)

But I am getting from my dealer a kit from PGO themselves in order to add performance. the 20cc "pack"

Don't know about the ligero but the metro comes directly de-restricted
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

Let us know what you wind up getting. I did not see many scooters in Britain when I was there, would be cool to see a buddy or equiv...

But please seriously look at doing the equivalent of Motorcycle safety school in Britain. 50 cc and 35 miles per hour, (forgive my americo centric view, have no idea what that is in Kilometers per hour) is more than fast enough to do your self some pretty sincere damage.

Have fun though! It is a great purchase for a bunch of reasons!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Lina wrote:Brilliant, thanks this has been a huge help. I found the rodoshow 50 (50cc is fine for me, I'm new to scooters), it doesn't look as flash as the buddy or canadian metro, but it's still very nice. I'll keep looking for other PGO scooters, but (at the risk of sounding quite dumb) can I only buy the UK versions in the UK, or could I purchase the canadian? I assume I prob can't but thought I'd check.

Also, these scooters seem great as they're light (I'm very small) - do you think they're good starter bikes? They seem like they could be to me, but I'm not a pro. :)

Thanks guys, helped loads.

Lina
I myself am a beginner too and I found the buddy a nature to ride the first time I rode it, a bit scared and hesitant since I've always dreamt of owning a scooter, but once I rode it for a while it was like learning to ride a bike, you never forget!

I'd get the 125cc model, both bikes are nice, but the 125cc isnt a rocket, it's more of a standard which will allow you to be more free in the city. You never know if you'll hit a road which has high speeds, and a 50cc may not be able to reach those high speeds.

The choice is up to you, and I'm glad you're looking at a PGO bike, their bikes are very nice for their low low price :)

EDIT: Even though you need a motorcycle license to ride the 125cc model, it isnt a pain to get one, I dont know about UK laws or testing, but here in the US, our state test's are basic stop and go, and cone weaving test. We also have a motorcycle saftey class that teaches you some good skills, on a motorcycle of course, but the skills work for the scooter too and have saved many people from accidents. They may have something similar in the UK, but if not, to ride a scooter, you need to buy the scooter first ;)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Bonus: in the UK, when riding on a permit, you have to have a sign with a big "L" on it on your scoot. Yay!

Ooh, check out that Lammy next to the ET... Oh, damn ADD...

Meanwhile, having trouble locating a PGO dealer in London. Here's one in Essex: http://www.johnparkermotorcycles.co.uk/

Or try poking around this rather difficult to navigate site: http://www.londonbikeandscooter.co.uk/dealers.htm
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Lina

Post by Lina »

Thanks a million for all the advice, I am now definately considering the full mototcycle licence (for light vehicles). As I don't drive, it's either the basic CBT for 50cc or full mototcycle licence, which is little annoying. The only problem is the PGO rodoshow only comes in a 50cc, and because we have such a limited range over here, that's the only bike that is a little pretty. :?

Is there any way I could get a euaropean PGO in England? The PGO Ligero is more beautiful than the rodoshow, and comes in 125cc.

Thanks everyone,

Lina
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

A suggestion: Do not EVER think of a lightweight scooter as a bicycle. Think of it, and treat it, as a motorcycle with smaller wheels... Get all the training and safety knowledge you can get, wear a helmet, boots and gloves when riding, and perhaps a protective jacket and pants. 8)

An accident on a scooter going 55 MPH in a city can hurt you just as severely as having the same accident on a 1200cc BMW motorcycle! :cry:

And I've been to London. And seen the traffic... :shock:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think it would be difficult to obtain a PGO bike from europe, sticking to mainland bikes is best, if you need service and such, the dealer would be too far away for you to get to.

If you can find one near england but on the eastern coast of europe, it may be more do-able, but I still think buying what is on the main land is best.

if you like the 50cc bike so much, I'd take it for a test drive if your dealer lets you, otherwise, try the trex 125, it is slightly sporty looking, but it has the power of 125cc!

If not, you could always de-restrict the 50cc engine, but that will void your warranty, so you may want to let the warranty die out, then de-restrict, otherwise, if something goes wrong, you'll be paying for it out of your pocket because the warranty was voided.

Too bad they dont have the bike in 125cc in the UK, just about everywhere else they do have it in 125cc, some countries even have a 100cc version.

Good luck though, when you go to the dealer, it's alot easier to make up your mind if you want the bike or not. The 50cc bike though is 2 stroke, not 4.
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

I do think a kitted 70cc 2T Buddy will be faster off the line than the 125cc 4T. If you want to bomb around at 55mph all day I would get the 125cc. If it's city riding in London 50cc 2T's are everywhere and insurance is much less.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Problem like she said, they dont make the 125cc model in england, just the 50cc. Even derestricted, you'd be pushing the bike to go 45+

I think testing a trex or gmax 125 would be best, maybe even the pmx naked, it can go almost as fast as a buddy and keep up with traffic easily.

You may also want to ask your dealer if they will be carrying a 125cc model or can "import" one for you. If they do the importing themself in england, they may import a "bubu" for you in 125cc, same as the buddy/roadshow.

Here in the US, our dealers dont do any importing since they're spread all over the country, but genuine themselves do. Not too sure where the main PGO dealer or main building is in england, but if you dealer themselves import bikes from PGO, they might be able to get you a 125cc bike.
poop colored buddy

Post by poop colored buddy »

derestricted the 50cc would be fine.
I have the scoots!
Lina

Post by Lina »

jfrost2 wrote: You may also want to ask your dealer if they will be carrying a 125cc model or can "import" one for you. If they do the importing themself in england, they may import a "bubu" for you in 125cc, same as the buddy/roadshow.

Here in the US, our dealers dont do any importing since they're spread all over the country, but genuine themselves do. Not too sure where the main PGO dealer or main building is in england, but if you dealer themselves import bikes from PGO, they might be able to get you a 125cc bike.
Oooh, maybe I could ask. I've already msg'd PGO's uk website, don't know if that will be any good, but you can buy the bikes from there so maybe. I've been looking for local dealers but so far have nothing, and all the net sites offer the worst colours, I like the cream/white one with brown seat or one of the other retro-ey brown/yellow ones, but all I seem to see is the blue (not a nice baby blue, like an "electric" blue, hmmm) and the red and black and silver. Normally the red would be ok, but I don't know whether it's my computer screen but it looks tacky, not in a good way, like in a sports bike way. Maybe I could get it sprayed.. Ideally if I was getting a buddy I'd go for the baby pinks or blues, or maybe the cherry reds, that might give you some idea of my taste.

Anyhow, seeing as I am having no luck finding actual real dealers near-ish, I may have to get it online - is that really terrible? And if I do get it online, do you think they'll be able to order the nicer colour ones for me? Or is that asking for too much from them?

Thanks :) Any help is very much appreciated (as I'm sure you can tell!).
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If you can deal directly with PGO uk themselves, you might be able to order a PGO bubu direct from taiwan, or if you're still looking at the 50cc model, see if they can get you the right color.

If you can get yourself to a dealer or call one, you could ask them to order this or that color from PGO for the bike.

Good luck though, I dont know too much about PGO uk since I'm in the USA :P

I looked at the colors of their bikes, horrible color choice! I also see they punched out the 3 holes in the front and put screws inside. In the US our buddies have covers over those holes, and then the dealer punches them out if you wanted to install a front rack.

If you cant find the scooter you like, you could always come to the USA! We have lots of Genuine scooter dealers here and more color choices lol
Lina

Post by Lina »

Haha, maybe one day...

I saw the punched screw out thing too, it looks so much better covered up, and you guys also have the chrome or chrome effect foot rest panel around the seat thing. In a nutshell, the UK version is the worst, haha, it looks like a half finished buddy.

Oh well, looks like I'm gonna be making some calls and writing some emails, hopefully, ideally, I can get a bubu or metro, that would be perfect. Fingers crossed, eh?

Thanks for all the help, I'm sure I'll be back in five mins asking another stupid question but if not I'll let you know what I end up getting, may even post a picture! :)

Thanks,
Lina
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Problem dealing with the main distributor is that they only like talking to dealers, they sell the scooters cheaper to the dealers, but the dealers just buy them in mass amounts.

The distributor probably wouldnt like selling the bike at factory price and just selling 1 bike, but you never know, PGO is a nice company :)

And if you cant find the color, you can get the bike painted, the buddy can be taken apart in 1-2+ hours and then you can take those parts to be painted somewhere.

Good luck, hopefully your emails get responded by a real person, and not a computer with a fakey thank you letter.

One thing I thought of, if you like the US colors, many dealers will order the body panels and sell them, they could be easily bought and shipped to england, but probably really expensive to ship them.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

If you go to PGO's english website they have many colors for the bubu.

I think finding someone in the USA to buy spare body panels would be best since they are professionally sprayed, but one problem would be the fact that the roadshow has a smaller headlight, here in the USA, our buddies have a larger headlight, the only color options would be the 2006 colors unless you feel like switching out an entire head unit.

The only Idea I can think of would be get the entire bike sprayed, or get body panels from the USA, then get the top plastic piece around the head light/tachometer sprayed to match the body.

Or get to love electric blue! :D

The pink from PGO directly isn't like the bright pink in the US, in asia, the pink is this:

Last edited by jfrost2 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lina

Post by Lina »

Well, I've had a little progress, one site said that whatever colour I wanted the rodoshow in I could have, so I then emailed asking if I could get it pink or baby blue, if the answer's no, and there are absolutely no other good choices I'll ask if they can order a bubu in for me. Basicially, the bubu and metro weigh more than the rodoshow, which is why I'm hesitant, even though they look infinately better (God's in the detail!).

Fingers crossed I can get the PGO in a fairly decent colour, and then I looked online for body parts for the buddy, and found some US sites that will sell the interrior in different colours and so on, so that's good. Plus I'm sure PGO will have spare interiors I can order in various colours and so on from the UK. I think it'll be ok! At the end of the day, like you said, if I can't get a pink or babyblue rodoshow or panels, and I really don't like the colours I can get - I can spray. :)

Thanks so much for all your help! This forum has helped sooo much!

P.S. I was thinking if I can't get my choice colours, what do we think of the white? Not as pretty as cream but...?
Attachments
rodoshow_image_wh5.JPG
rodoshow_image_wh5.JPG (44 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Lina

Post by Lina »

jfrost2 wrote:If you go to PGO's english website they have many colors for the bubu.

I think finding someone in the USA to buy spare body panels would be best since they are professionally sprayed, but one problem would be the fact that the roadshow has a smaller headlight, here in the USA, our buddies have a larger headlight, the only color options would be the 2006 colors unless you feel like switching out an entire head unit.

The only Idea I can think of would be get the entire bike sprayed, or get body panels from the USA, then get the top plastic piece around the head light/tachometer sprayed to match the body.

Or get to love electric blue! :D

The pink from PGO directly isn't like the bright pink in the US, in asia, the pink is this:

Ahhhhh I see....no not the pink I'm looking for. Basically, if no luck with rodoshow in nice colours, I'm ordering US parts, and get the last panel sprayed! I WILL have my perfect scooter, hahaha...I'm really excited now!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Could you provide a website link to where you found body panels for the scooter? Makes me curious, I've never seen websites sell them, but I know genuine themselves will sell to dealers, and from dealer to the customers.
Lina

Post by Lina »

Sure thing, it's in the "Body Work & Trim" section. :)

http://www.scootrichmond.com/index.php/cPath/484_493

I can't find any outer body panels there, but interior and plenty of other little things.
Lina

Post by Lina »

I can also get the larger headlights for 50cc on that site if I so wish (only $60, £30)!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

To do that, you'd need to get the entire assembly minus the tachometer, it's the same size for all year/brands so it would fit the larger headlight too. I'm not too sure how you remove the bottom section of the head light though, a few members said they couldnt get it off, my dealer even said he has a tricky time removing it, but it can be done.

You need to by the bezel too, it's the chrome ring around the head light.

I dont see any exterior parts besides the headlight unit, all I see is the interior kit, but no exterior. Even though they dont advertise it on their website, I'd call and ask the parts guy if he can order the exterior pieces in what color you want, I know for sure dealers can do it. I remember at my dealer, there was a black buddy with a scratched front, it was in to be replaced with a new front.
Lina

Post by Lina »

Yeh, I think I'm gonna have to get the exteriors from a proper buddy dealership in the US. I have an uncle over there so I can order it to his address, and then figuare out some cheap way of getting it over here! My parents actually go to new york often (well, around once a year) , so maybe get them to bring it home when they next go.

Fingers crossed though, The PGO dealer I'm looking to buy from can sort me out everything I need for now, if I ask nicely. I have a feeling they might let me mix and match interiors/exteriors. Maybe not with with pink or baby blue, but with something else pretty-ish. We shall see...
Lina

Post by Lina »

jfrost2 wrote: I'd call and ask the parts guy if he can order the exterior pieces in what color you want, I know for sure dealers can do it. I remember at my dealer, there was a black buddy with a scratched front, it was in to be replaced with a new front.
Oh, I didn't see this bit! Yep, I will do if PGO can't hook me up with some choice interior and so on. Is this site reasonably priced for parts do you think? It looks ok to me, but then, I'm hardly an expert.

I really really hope my PGO dealer will let me mix and match! I can't see why not if he says I can have whatever colour I want. I am actually getting overly excited over this, haha...

I'm also gonna try and drive down with my friend to another dealer that sells the bike this weekend, (I prob won't buy from him though, unless he offers any colour I want like the other dealer), so I can actually see for real what it looks like, and get on it and stuff. So I have something relevant to base my specifics on, it could turn out the electric blue is perfect (doubtful, but).
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I may be wrong, but I think Genuine scooters here in the US does some of the painting themselves on the body. PGO wont help you out to find the US colors, only genuine dealers in the USA will.

the site you gave me does seem reasonably priced, cheaper than some others, so I'd trust them. For the interior to only cost 99 dollars, that is a nice price, the exterior may cost 200+ though, but still a nice price :)
Lina

Post by Lina »

I know, it seems almost too cheap for interior! Really impressed, and $200 for exterior is so do-able, plus in england it'll cost me half that in pounds. So even if it's over $200 it's still fairly good.

And you're probably right about the US spraying their own, makes sense why they're so much more beautiful in colours. I'll see what PGO has to offer, then find out how much a spray job over here costs, however, I think I'd rather just get the right parts straight from buddy. Just gotta find out when my parent are thinking of flying over next and time it!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

5.99 buddy sticker too! Make it the only Buddy in england :wink:
Lina

Post by Lina »

Haha, should I? Isn't that almost fraud? hahaha...
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Not really, one member here bought a "my bubu" sticker and placed it on his buddy, it has the same style of text, but just says "bubu" rather than buddy.

I doubt it would void warranty too, it's a PGO part (painted by genuine), and the sticker is just a sticker...

Any luck on finding a dealer or scooter around? Havent heard much from you about buying the bike itself, just finding the right parts/color :P
Lina

Post by Lina »

Well, the nearest dealer that stocks the PGO is still about 20 miles from my house, and I emailed them yest about colours but they haven't replied yet. I'm going to call and hopefully visit them this weekend, but I doubt i'll be buying from there as it's too far to ride home and sorting out a van will be tricky, also, there's this site online, where they sell the PGO for about £150 cheaper, they were the ones that said I could have the bike in whatever colour I wanted. I was thinking I'd check the bike out at this dealer place 20 miles away, then if it's nice and not too big for me, order it in preferred colours from the online place.

That's my plan anyway...I reckon I'll prob end up receiving the bike mid to end april, as I still have to sort out my CBT and provisional licence stuff, and in order to sort out my provisonal I need to finish sorting out my passport (which was kindly stolen along with my entire bag last year). Once I get all the rubbish paperwork done I can finally own my little vehicle. I know, I have been talking and deliberating about it for ages, I'm just really excited about getting it, it'll be a matter of weeks I think, I've always wanted a little retro scooter so I just want to make sure I can get the best I can.

Oh, ppl are also trying to sway me into getting a Aprilio Mojito as it cost half the price second hand of what the PGO will, their reason being I will probably trash and outgrow the 50cc pretty soon being first bike and all, but I'm kinda illogicially set on the PGO now. Any thoughts?
BGK

Post by BGK »

Lina wrote:Any thoughts?
In the UK you have so many more options and so many used scooters as well. I'd look around. I like the PGO a lot but if I had the choices you do it wouldn't make the top 10. Check out the Peugeot Vivacity and Ludix. They have a sweet new Ludix called the RCup. Then there's the Vespa S 50 2 stroke (stay away from 4 stroke 50cc bikes). Very hot. Then you have a selection of other piaggios like the Zip and typhoon (buy used, only 4 strokes for the new models). Go and sit on a bunch of these bikes. Don't believe spec weights as they don't mean much as most factories weigh them differently and often misprint numbers in the info on websites or brochures. the Buddy and Bubu and Roadshow 50 should all weigh the same. Have you gone down to the news stand and picked up an issue of Twist and Go (aka TAG) magazine? There are usually buyers guides.

I just found the link to 'What Scooter" http://www.whatscooter.com/ Everything that's available in the UK.
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

PGO Canada has complete pink body panel sets. We have 3 sets on the way. I would email them.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

FA-Q wrote:PGO Canada has complete pink body panel sets. We have 3 sets on the way. I would email them.
Good to know—the pink panels are apparently becoming rare in the US as PGO is no longer offering the pink Buddy. I may buy a set just in case...

Like "just in case I try to pain the pink Buddy and screw it up..."
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I had forgot about canada starting to sell PGO bikes, they have similar colors to the US, not 100% the same, but similar. They use the small headlight like the UK, so you may want to look at the canadians too if you want a pink scooter.
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

I think that we have the big light too. What is the buddy head light diameter? I do know it says Ligero on the box so I think it is the same as that. I matched a creme Metro with a creme Genuine rear box and it was very close to the same color. The inner panels look to be unpaintable as they are a textured plastic. I got inners coming from Genuine and outers coming from PGO Canada so I will let you know if they match. I think the Canadian pink has less of a bubblegum hue. You could get a red and creme combo to make yourself a Pampalona with black inners and a brown Genuine seat. I'm going to try this. The panels are a real bargain compared to a Yamaha though.
Lina

Post by Lina »

Thanks! I would love to find out how they turn out, I'll email PGO canada anyway and see their rates.

Oh, and I think was BGT? I've looked at a couple of those bikes you recommended but I don't think they look that nice, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way but the way it looks is probably more important to me than what it can actually do! Haha, also, the PGO/Buddys are good as I'm TINY, 5'0" and about 90 pounds. Light rider, to say the least. Some of the bikes that should be good for a first timer are too big for me, PGO has low seats, so I should be able to get my feet on the floor - that's a start!
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I think the PGO metro's do have the large headlights now, a member said he bought a "italia" series metro and it had a smaller head light, that is what gave me the idea all metro's had them.
BGK

Post by BGK »

Cool, one of the best aspects of the buddy is it's small size. I'm 6'2" and like small scooters. They feel much more like riding around on a BMX bike.
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I'm 5'7'' maybe 8 inches, but my legs very lightly bend to put my feet on the ground, I can stand off the buddy 2-3 inches, and it's a very nice bike, other shorter people say it's much nicer because of the low seat height. Just about anyone can have their feet reach the ground, a few people considered vespas back then, but couldnt ride them because of the seat height being too high. The buddy is their perfect fitting scooter.
Lina

Post by Lina »

Cool, I think I'm def sticking with the PGO. :)

Thanks!
FA-Q

Post by FA-Q »

The pink is in. It is two tone. Will post pics soon.